Kimber Talk Forums banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I practice 0 to 3 yards (most likely situation) 10 yards (covers the 7 yards) and 25 yards (never no when that needed head shot at long range is needed) better to know you can do it than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Recent target from a 7yd speed defensive drill. Draw, fire twice, reholster, repeat. Six rds each from micro, micro 9, K6s 2”. Not “pro” level, but I think it would get the job done, if unfortunately it ever “has” to be done!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Both targets were at 10 yards. 1st is my K6s 2” with my 38 148 grain Wadcutters. The next is same target switched over to my 125 grain 357 lead hand loads (much more accurate) most were in the center with the 357’s. Loads make a big difference in accuracy, that’s what’s nice about handloads you can dial them in for your gun.

That’s the reason I don’t hesitate to use handloads for Defence. I know where every shots going.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Both targets were at 10 yards. 1st is my K6s 2” with my 38 148 grain Wadcutters. The next is same target switched over to my 125 grain 357 lead hand loads (much more accurate) most were in the center with the 357’s. Loads make a big difference in accuracy, that’s what’s nice about handloads you can dial them in for your gun.

That’s the reason I don’t hesitate to use handloads for Defence. I know where every shots going.

Nice shooting! That kind of consistency really builds confidence. I agree on the hand loading too. Been at it for 20 years! Just been loading for handguns for the last 4 or 5.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Nice shooting! That kind of consistency really builds confidence. I agree on the hand loading too. Been at it for 20 years! Just been loading for handguns for the last 4 or 5.
Thanks, that’s the main reason I started handloading. Wasn’t getting the consistency I wanted in both practice and Defence ammo. I have numerous hand guns and have dialed my loads in where it runs really well in all of them. It’s something for anyone that’s real serious about performance to get involved in. And bottom line you’ll be real confident in your defensive loads and how they’ll preform from your chosen Defence weapon. That’s what we’re all looking for.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Still on the subject of Defence ammo an illustration of handloading for your practice and Defence ammo.

This target I’ve posted before, it from my Kimber Pro Carry 9mm. Distance is 10 yards again.

1 mag of 124 grain Plated Xtreme bullets and 1 mag of 124 grain XTP’s both hand loads and dialed in to preform exactly the same.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks, that’s the main reason I started handloading. Wasn’t getting the consistency I wanted in both practice and Defence ammo. I have numerous hand guns and have dialed my loads in where it runs really well in all of them. It’s something for anyone that’s real serious about performance to get involved in. And bottom line you’ll be real confident in your defensive loads and how they’ll preform from your chosen Defence weapon. That’s what we’re all looking for.

Yes sir! I first started loading to afford to shoot more, or shoot the same amount cheaper in rifles. Didn’t take long to realize the performance improvements! When I branched out into handgun loading, it became all consuming! Load very little for rifles now. But I guess it’s partly where I have those loads established. It sure adds to the shooting enjoyment though!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Still on the subject of Defence ammo an illustration of handloading for your practice and Defence ammo.

This target I’ve posted before, it from my Kimber Pro Carry 9mm. Distance is 10 yards again.

1 mag of 124 grain Plated Xtreme bullets and 1 mag of 124 grain XTP’s both hand loads and dialed in to preform exactly the same.

Didn’t get the pic! But that’s the same two bullets I’m loading for my 9s!

·
Registered
208 Posts

It’s really nice to get to talk to dedicated people who speak my language! Hats off to the forum and all the great members!!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I saw something today i havent seen in over a year. Today at LGS, ammo prices were almost normal. 9mm for 19.99 for 50 and .45 for 25.99 for 50. I both teared up and got a nose bleed.
That’s great to hear that it’s coming down $20 a box is a whole lot better than $39. I just want to see a box of primers on a shelf somewhere for sale.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I saw something today i havent seen in over a year. Today at LGS, ammo prices were almost normal. 9mm for 19.99 for 50 and .45 for 25.99 for 50. I both teared up and got a nose bleed.
That’s great news! What part of the country are you in? I hope it’s contagious!!! Now if the reloading components will start flowing and be sensibly priced! LGS has finally gotten some powder in.... for 80 bucks a pound!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most everyone on this forum carries a Kimber.... It's a Kimber forum. My question for everyone; What kind of ammo do you carry daily. I finally tracked down the self defense ammo i have been looking for. Sig Elite V-Crown 147 gr. Have been looking for it since the begining of october when I got my micro 9. View attachment 125844

I had been packing Winchester Defender PDX-1 147 gr. I really like the sig v-crown though. It's also what I run in my .45 if i carry .45. Just been hard to find any ammo. Much less exactly what you want. I have gathered a nice collection of 9mm luger carry ammo, though. View attachment 125845
Now I am going to use FIOCCHI 9mm 124gr JHP

·
Registered
203 Posts
That’s great to hear that it’s coming down $20 a box is a whole lot better than $39. I just want to see a box of primers on a shelf somewhere for sale.

I saw small pistol primers online for $60 a thousand including shipping. And they had lots in stock.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts