Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often & also how thoroughly do you clean your guns? Do you take out the firing pin & spring every time? How often do you clean the mags? Do you have different schedules for different guns?

I clean all of mine after 100-150 rounds - not to say I will stop shooting at 150 & clean it if I'm still shooting ...

I do not clean my mags very often - just wipe down the outside & follower most of the time.

I have only taken out the firing pin/spring on my P238 once for cleaning - had to replace the spring. Otherwise I haven't done that for any of my guns.

·
Super Moderator
5,190 Posts
I field strip and clean after every range session. Mags get wiped down and inspected. I only do a deep cleaning once a year. My carry gun gets wiped down daily.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I never put a gun away dirty. That said, I don't detail clean them except for maybe once a year- remove firing pins, etc. Of course, it depends on the gun. My AR's and shotguns get detailed stripped every time, because it's so easy. I usually just wipe mags down.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I take the stop/pin out once in awhile, although the extra 20 seconds seems logical just to do it every time. I seem to spend more time on my stainless guns because I can see dirt a lot better. I take a good hour on those from soak to finish. I usually don't clean them right after use, but definitely within a day maybe two.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I clean my carry gun (Kahr PM9) weekly, wipe it down, make sure there is no lint trapped it crevices & then relube. My other guns, not so much. I think I am getting lazy in my old age!

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
I just spray my firearms down with Birchwood/Casey gun scrubber and then use my gun rod, toothbrush and boresnake with the sweet nectar of the gods...Hoppes #9 after each range session and a field strip after every 500 rounds..
Ya have to get some Hoppes just for the smell if anything else..
I could wear it as aftershave if GiGi would go for it..

·
Registered
362 Posts
I clean my guns usually within a day or two of a range session. That is usually 150-200 rounds.

·
Super Moderator
38,342 Posts
My guns get cleaned the same day they were shot. I will detail clean once a year or with my more heavily used guns around 2000 rounds.

Reactions: MPO Southy

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Just field strip/clean most of the time, usually done a day or so after a range visit. I've detail stripped my Glocks, but they are just too easy not to. I have not yet detail stripped the Kimber.

Some bore blaster for the tight spots, Hoppes #9, some good oil... it's good.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
After every range day. I just can't sleep until it's or they are clean. Hoppes #9 and rem oil.....

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
After every range trip I field strip, including the firing pin and extractor. The firing pin doesn't get very dirty but the extractor does. I use Hoppe's 9 that I put in a small spray bottle and then use NRA MC2500 synthetic oil. At some point I'll have a gunsmith detail strip the frame because I just don't want to mess with the sear and other parts that work in harmony to create a delicate balance that doesn't need me f#*king it up.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
They are field stripped and cleaned after every outing.Mags are just usually wiped down an apply a light coat of oil to the exterior.There are days where if I have nothing to do(most days)and I feel motivated I will field strip and clean and oil even if they are not dirty.If I have been handling a clean weapon alot I will give it a quick wipedown with a silicone saturated cloth,which you can pick up at most gun dealers.I'm also OCD.:D

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I use a Hoppe's cloth to wipe down the outside before putting the gun back in the pouch and range bag.

·
Super Moderator
5,190 Posts
I clean my carry guns after they have been fired no matter what the round count.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Me Too!!!

I clean my carry guns after they have been fired no matter what the round count.
That's what I do, too!!;);) In addition, I take a bath every Saturday night whether I need it or not!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

hillbilly bath.jpg

Reactions: Islander

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I like cleaning guns. But, like most things, I have to be in the right mood. :D

·
Registered
868 Posts
I was talking to a guy during a cease fire and he told me he loves cleaning his guns..says he cleans them sitting on the couch in front of the tube.
My wife is great, but if I were caught cleaning guns on her couch I'd be sleeping on it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts