Kimbertalk.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform!

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

The transition to a new platform will never be 100% smooth but the days of dealing with out of date forum software are over. We have teams dedicated to building a world-class community for you. The development has been steady with regular software releases since May 2019. Asking members for feedback and coming up with ideas for improvement is what we want.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Our algorithm will serve a personal customized feed based on your prior engagement with content on the site. If you’ve liked and or commented, or are following certain topics that are of interest to you, similar content will appear at the top of the homepage.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, to help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing over the first few days after migrating. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Finding Your Way Around
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

Clicking your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

You can also navigate more by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations - Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase - Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
Take a tour and look around! Check out the Help section for some quick FAQs about the new platform.

Please keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc. regarding the new platform right here in this Feedback thread. This will help us make sure not to miss a request for help and also let us pass along your thoughts to our Product team. The Admins and I will be here to help along the way taking note of your comments.

- Community Support

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
This is all fine and dandy, but now I'm getting big dark "blobs" on the right side of the screen that prevent complete reading of what's posted. I've seen these blobs preventing reading on Accurate Shooter too, but surprised to see this here. What is causing it, and how can I rid what used to be a 'home forum' of this annoying feature?

·
Registered
14 Posts
surprise but no obvious issues this AM here on my desk top. The mobile cell phone has not been able to log in though. Will follow the phase in as possible. If I disappear from the site it's not on purpose.

Screen appearance is much improved, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
This is all fine and dandy, but now I'm getting big dark "blobs" on the right side of the screen that prevent complete reading of what's posted. I've seen these blobs preventing reading on Accurate Shooter too, but surprised to see this here. What is causing it, and how can I rid what used to be a 'home forum' of this annoying feature?
My guess is you've got some type of ad-blocker running. Ads are on the right side of the screen unless you go Premium.

I'll do a screen shot. I use "dark mode'.

Screenshot---

·
Registered
979 Posts
...learning to navigate this new format is taking time... ...especially with all of the ads popping up like crazy...

·
Super Moderator
37,247 Posts
I don't see any ads, I'm running firefox with adblocker plus and ublock origin.

Reactions: Ingramite

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I don't see any ads, I'm running firefox with adblocker plus and ublock origin.
I believe Mods are exempt from ads, at least that's the way it is on another forum using this format.

Premium membership is only $19.99/year. I have it on another Forum using this format. No ads on the screen and the pics are in large format. Real nice. To become a premium member just click on yer icon in the top right of the screen. A drop down menu will show "Upgrade to Premium."

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Y'know what I DO NOT LIKE?

I strongly dislike the new LIKE button. When I click it to like something, it changes color ever so slightly. It's hard to tell whether a post is liked or not liked. What is it? Light Pink? Light Green? Can it be changed to some other color, perhaps with substantially different luminosity? I'm a little color blind, so maybe most people can see a dramatic difference. Many of us cannot.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts

Rick, that happened to me over on 1911Addicts when they changed to this same software. Are you by chance using the browser "Internet Explorer?" if so that's the problem. I had to change browsers and now use Google Chrome for everything...no more big dark circles.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The "recommended reading" thing is gonna cause alot of old threads to rise up from the graveyard like zombies in a b movie.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The "recommended reading" thing is gonna cause alot of old threads to rise up from the graveyard like zombies in a b movie.
Yeah, a certain car forum I hang at will suggest related threads and I try to be carful not to open any real old threads but it does happen to me and others! Then, a moderator will jump on and give us h*ll for opening a thread that is XX years old! It happens a lot and I'm not the only one....as I'm real carful now! I do ask why......if a post over say a year or two old is taboo to open.....why don;t the owners/moderators put something in the system that closes old threads down and locks the to anyone posting?? Easy solution but then maybe it is a way to eff with people. LOL

But then, that's another forum.

I do like the look of the new Kimber Talk and hope it is easy to get adjusted to. I have had a couple other forums that I was a regular on in the past where they changed the site so much that I quit going back. That and the fact that there guns weren't really in my interest anymore! I hope this one works
out because KT has been a mostly enjoyable forum even after my Kimber is long gone.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Rick, that happened to me over on 1911Addicts when they changed to this same software. Are you by chance using the browser "Internet Explorer?" if so that's the problem. I had to change browsers and now use Google Chrome for everything...no more big dark circles.
Yup, that was it alrighty. I dumped Explorer and fired up Chrome and the issue went away. Thanks Arland!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I strongly suggest that you guys using Google Chrome stop, delete it and move over to FireFox and use Duck Duck go for your search engine. Google keeps track of everything you do.
Skip, thanks for the tip. I'll be sorting it out soon. A step closer to that Orwellian World "they" are trying to create......grrrrrr!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts