Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Well had an interesting experience yesterday. Had not been shooting a lot lately, go figure. With ammo getting available and price going down thought I would deplete some of what was on hand. Took out a Custom and Pro TLE and a Compact. For Range time I starting using 185 gr lately (arthritis). Still used 230 Gold Dot for carry in my Compact. When I used the compact with 185 the group was 3-3.5 low and a good 1.5 bigger at 20yrds. Confused (my natural state) I put a mag I had just taken out of 230 GD. About 3inches and at POA. Tried Win White box 230gr and same as the Gold Dot. I know different a ammo with sometimes shoot different. Then tried 2 different 185, PMC Bronze and PPU. Both were similar about 3-3.5. Tried all the mentioned in the the TLE's. Both shot either 185 and 230 well but then they had been since I started using 185gr.
From what I could find on line all have the same twist of 16/1. Never seen that big a difference in similar pistols before.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
My Ultra Carry shoots 230 ball better than HPs.
It's pretty accurate for a 3inch gun with Fmjs, but groups open up with HPs.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
My Ultra Carry shoots 230 ball better than HPs.
It's pretty accurate for a 3inch gun with Fmjs, but groups open up with HPs.
I hand-load the 200 grain ball and carry the 185 grain Golden Sabre round. If you can find the 200 grain ball you might want to try them and the 185’s for Defence. They shoot almost the same point of aim and are just as accurate. Flatter shooting too. 185 grain SWC’s run great in my Ultras also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going by the LGS tomorrow. They have some real knowledgeable people there. I just for the life of me can't imagine anything causing that big a change. Then too I am not the greatest shot even though I was using sandbags.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took it to my LGS where I bought it. They took it into the back and about half hour later said it was going back to Kimber for a new barrel. I have had it for a while (bought it new old stock). He said there won't be a charge. I thought wow. I have read here several times about Kimber customer service but this was my first experience. Must say it impressed me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is Kimbers CCO. It is out of production but they are still available at times on places like gunbroker.com. A Pro/Commander (4inch) slide on an ultra/officers (3inch) frame. They are ideal for concealed carry since the grip is smaller. Love mine.

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
What the heck happened that it needs a new barrel? What was wrong with the original barrel?
The older compacts are cool, I think they usually had extreme carry melt treatment.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What the heck happened that it needs a new barrel? What was wrong with the original barrel?
The older compacts are cool, I think they usually had extreme carry melt treatment.
Not sure he didn't seem to know. They took it in the back and about half hour the salesman called me over and said it was going back. He was up front most of the time so someone in the back looked at it and I figure called Kimber. Just glad to get it resolved. I was having a hard time understanding. I was confused because it was repeatable.

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
OK. But if that was my pistol, I would want to know the truth, and nothing but the truth and the whole story...
Did you buy the Compact at the gun shop?

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep. The salesman didn't know anything. I too figure there is more to the story but thought it best to wait till it comes back in a couple of weeks. Then too after it comes back there should be a paper saying what Kimber did. If not then I figure I can call them. The LGS store has a good reputation but not a gunsmith. Right now I am content to it being fixed when I didn't know something was wrong. I have others for carry and am long in the tooth. I know more about bolt rifles but some things cross over. Seemed odd but time will tell and don't figure at this stage I am out anything and may end up on the plus side.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It came back quite a while back but I have not been laid up for a while. So got out this morning and didn’t matter what I put in it. This was 30yrds and awesome for me.
Let make a low story short. The lgs paid. New barrel, springs, trigger job, oh and the trigger pull is a crisp 3.75lb. When I picked it up talked with the owner who was very apologetic. He was short on details but though it was never sold one his people had control of it for a little while. He did not say and was appreciative I did not push but did offer to give me a refund. I figure it is pretty much a new pistol so that would be kind of dumb. View attachment 127149 View attachment 127150 View attachment 127150 Not sure what I did. Tried to use an image from my phone and got two and they are sideways. The tape measure is across the top.

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Sounds like you got lucky glad it worked out for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts