Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Crossdraw

Votes: 8 13.3%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4” pro...had a hip replaced and am a bit leery about carrying strong side...bought a Wright Leather Regulator and just waiting for the judge to send me my purchase coupon...that’s how it’s done in Orange County NY...4-6 weeks...
Anybody carry this way as your primary position? I drive a lot and felt this was a better way to carry while in the car...and, as we all know, depending on our clothes...should be pretty concealable...I’m well past the ‘everyone sees it’ period...
Just wondering how some of you carry...

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
212 Posts
My approach might not be considered cross draw, but borderline. I carry with an IWB right hand holster and it sits at about the 11:00am spot if your belly button is 12:00pm. So just off center on my left side, but still in the front of my body.

It conceals best in this location for me. I'm usually in basketball style shorts, tee shirt, and flip flops.

·
Super Moderator
37,745 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bundcha, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your interests, hobbies and where your located.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry...I can see how it sounded like holster...waiting on a Purchase coupon for a new Kimber.. here, you fill out a form amending your CCW because in NY you have the make, model, caliber and serial number of any handguns you own on that permit....when you sell (,dispose,) that gun, you fill out another form to take it off your permit...paper trail...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cross draw for hunting - much easier to do when its on the outside of a winter hunting coat. I find it faster than a chest rig. Strong side for CC, all holsters with cant.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
95% of the time I carry AIWB however I must admit I've been intrigued by cross draw since I now carry a 3 inch 45 or 9 mm. It does seem to make sense to carry that way if you're sitting or driving with a much less conspicuous draw motion. I'm think I'm going to look on my favorite holster site and see if they make one for cross draw and try it.

·
Super Moderator
37,745 Posts
Cross draw is great for when you're driving, on a road trip it's comfortable and convenient but for everyday carry I don't care for it. In a quick draw situation the chance of you sweeping innocent people is much greater.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The poll does not show one of the most popular carry positions....IWB at 4:00, which is where myself and most of my buddies carry.

Not great for drawing when driving, but great for concealment and easy access any other time. When in my car or truck, my pistol is wedged between the seat and the jockey box...easy access, holstered when departing the vehicle.

But when in the outback or in the rat patch, most times I carry SOB (small of back) to keep the pistol out of the way of my rifle but still giving easy access to dispatch a close appearing rodent or predator poste-haste.

But personally the appendix carry or crossdraw just does not work for me. At no time do I EVER want a loaded, cocked 'n locked pistol pointing at things I can't replace, and as Chuck mentioned, no sweeping of the muzzle across innocents.

·
Registered
13,772 Posts
I was going to say, if I drove a lot I would consider a cross-draw holster HOWE VER, last week I spent 7 hours behind the wheel each way 14 hours round trip to Biloxi MS with my Super Carry Ultra+ in a Kimber branded (Glaco) leather strong side and a 10 round Chip McCormick magazine in a leather mag holder.
Without any discomfort from the pistol or mag.
Getting the pistol into action from buckled in the drivers seat would be tricky, if not impossible.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Carry crossdraw quite often when carrying my revolvers. At 10:00 OWB it’s as fast as carrying appendix and much more comfortable while in the car. Quickest I’ve found while seated either in a car or restaurant. The revolver seems to carry better there than a auto loader. I prefer my 45’s and 9’s strong side either IWB or OWB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Canted 4 o'clock and pocket, ankle on those special occasions.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Oh, right! The topic.
90% of the time that I'm out, it's the 4" Kimber IWB @ 5:00 and the Beretta Pico appendix in an Urban Carry.
When I'm going out and trying extra hard to be concealed it's just the M&P Shield, appendix in a Tier 1 Aegis.
Around the house it's the Kimber again, carried around in my hand like a drug dealer because it's my house and fuck 'em. Who, you may ask? Whoever, that's who.
...unless we have guests and some modicum of courtesy and decorum is required, and then it's the Beretta Pico in a kydex trigger guard hook in my pocket.

Reactions: Rick in Oregon

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally picked up the Aegis Elite Pro 45
real comfortably in a Wright Leather Cross draw... bulky sweater and good to go...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was one who was always quick to dismiss cross draw until life as I knew it changed and I was forced to find another way to carry beside strong side.

After being involved in a bad accident that left my lower right leg severely broken, surgeons shaved bone off my right hip and transplanted it down into my right leg above the ankle to fill in a large area where there was no bone left.

The surgery was radical at the time, but it worked and the doctors were able to save my right leg. One totally unexpected side effect was the inability for me to strong side carry after that. Because of all the bone that was shaved off, the overall shape of that hip changed and the weight of a holstered gun on that side would result in the holstered gun, along with my belt and pants, sliding downward. Expensive cc belts and cinching them up extra tight did not help, down everything would go.... even with small compact guns.

In trying various other methods and carry positions, I finally settled on cross draw in a slightly unusual fashion..... with a right side IWB holster that holsters with no cant, just a straight up and out draw. What is slightly unusual, is that I place the right side IWB holster between 10:00 and 11:00 on the OUTSIDE of my pant’s waistband, between the pants and belt. Held snugly in place by the holster clip over the belt, I have found it to be a very comfortable carrying position because there’s no hard kydex or the exposed end of a barrel digging into the front of the hip bone on that side.

Another advantage to carrying this way is a much wider selection of holsters that are available since There are a lot more IWB holsters than traditional cross draw holsters.

So... I guess it’s a good thing that an old dog like myself can learn new tricks!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
One thing carrying as a lifestyle does, is prove the axiom "necessity breeds innovation". Since deciding that it's all or nothing (if I'm going to carry sometimes, I have to carry all the time) there's been no shortage of time spent puzzling out solutions to the variations life tosses sporadically. That said, I guess I always figured that if I'm going to carry crossdraw, I may as well just carry appendix. So, that's essentially what I did when it's up front not out back.

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One thing carrying as a lifestyle does, is prove the axiom "necessity breeds innovation". Since deciding that it's all or nothing (if I'm going to carry sometimes, I have to carry all the time) there's been no shortage of time spent puzzling out solutions to the variations life tosses sporadically. That said, I guess I always figured that if I'm going to carry crossdraw, I may as well just carry appendix. So, that's essentially what I did when it's up front not out back.
My 442 is comfortable appendix inside...but, the 4" Kimber pinches my..I mean when I sit down I hurt my...know what I mean?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts