• Pocket

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Crossdraw

Votes: 8 13.3%
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Indeed. I've thought more than once about getting an IWBA for the Kimber... and always dismissed the idea.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
4" pro...had a hip replaced and am a bit leery about carrying strong side...bought a Wright Leather Regulator and just waiting for the judge to send me my purchase coupon...that's how it's done in Orange County NY...4-6 weeks...
Anybody carry this way as your primary position? I drive a lot and felt this was a better way to carry while in the car...and, as we all know, depending on our clothes...should be pretty concealable...I'm well past the 'everyone sees it' period...
Just wondering how some of you carry...
Do you also need a "purchase coupon" to buy boxer shorts! Needing the OK from Government to buy a holster is absolutely ridiculous IMO!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
4" pro...had a hip replaced and am a bit leery about carrying strong side...bought a Wright Leather Regulator and just waiting for the judge to send me my purchase coupon...that's how it's done in Orange County NY...4-6 weeks...
Anybody carry this way as your primary position? I drive a lot and felt this was a better way to carry while in the car...and, as we all know, depending on our clothes...should be pretty concealable...I'm well past the 'everyone sees it' period...
Just wondering how some of you carry...
Do you also need a "purchase coupon" to buy boxer shorts! Needing the OK from Government to buy a holster is absolutely ridiculous IMO!
My bad.. coupon was for gun purchase.. not the holster... although, with the NYS Assembly being the way they are.. you never know

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
30 plus years of carry while working in and around cars taught me a few things

When I was working a street crimes unit we did a lot of unmarked car and UC type work. Lots of fixed and mobile surveillance. Cross draw was the fastest and most comfortable when in the drivers seat for many hours and people approach the window.

AIWB was most available and able to defend against in a fight but horrible when mobile due to seat belts as was strong side. We would practice driving into the range and a technique to get the belt off and un-ass the car and shoot.

AIWB for me is mostly used now but anything four inches or longer when seated is uncomfortable long term.

Strong side carry destroys your upholstery. Causing permenant depressions in foam and wear marks or tears on the material. Check out any cop car.

Leather seats get permanently stretched where the but presses against it.

Depending on the role I may have had a short barreled gun cross draw and full sized strong side at the same time with mags compatible for both.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Strong side carry destroys your upholstery. Causing permenant depressions in foam and wear marks or tears on the material.
I can vouch for that! This is why both of my trucks have a second holster mounted on the console, and I'm not sitting on my gun all day... it isn't just because it's uncomfortable. It does mean I'm unholstering and reholstering my gun a million times a day, but that isn't as arduous as many people seem to think it would be. Either way, if Safariland can ever get their god damned act together, I hope to have a L2 shoulder rig sometime before I die, in which case it won't matter one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Sig P-938 9mm in a "Sticky Holster"made from Neoprene,IWB in a strong side appendix position.Very comfortable as far as sticking things down your pants goes!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Now that I'm using a shoulder holster, I suppose technically I'm cross-draw...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cross draw is great for when you're driving, on a road trip it's comfortable and convenient but for everyday carry I don't care for it. In a quick draw situation the chance of you sweeping innocent people is much greater.
I agree, cross draw is the way to go, especially in today's environment while driving a vehicle. With practice you dont even mess with the seat belt.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I reckon my shoulder holster carry is a cross draw...
...although in SASS Cowboy Action, I shot double cross draw duelist at times...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Was doing the cross draw thing for a while after hip surgery. Just switched back to strong side. I found I liked the cross draw for the micro nine. It rode well and was so comfortable you could almost forget it was there. I figure when I carry it that will be my preferred method. Trying the compact pro both ways. Maybe the strong side is more about what I am used to but do see advantages.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just obtained a Galco shoulder rig that should work great for prolonged seat time. I ordered it to fit my P30SK but it also works well with my Shield Plus and my P365XL or my Micro 9. Presently getting used to wearing with an appropriate cover garment.

I also utilize a couple different size DeSantis Nemisis Pocket holsters that I wear IWB at either 11:00 or 1:00... surprisingly comfortable.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I carry strongside IWB @4:00 usually.
However I do have a Bianchi shouder holster for my full size 1911s.
It works well under a jacket.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Was doing the cross draw thing for a while after hip surgery. Just switched back to strong side. I found I liked the cross draw for the micro nine. It rode well and was so comfortable you could almost forget it was there. I figure when I carry it that will be my preferred method. Trying the compact pro both ways. Maybe the strong side is more about what I am used to but do see advantages.
I aslo carry OWB 4 oclock ultra carry 45, for long road trips, i carry crossdraw el paso style. Easy access.

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Getting my right hip surgery in a few weeks. How’d your recovery go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Getting my right hip surgery in a few weeks. How’d your recovery go?

It went well. Just followed dr orders. Pretty much stayed home and did the stuff recommended. The short term it was a little rougher the the knees. Recovery was faster though. Just as a side note. Until I was off the meds I did not carry at all.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
It went well. Just followed dr orders. Pretty much stayed home and did the stuff recommended. The short term it was a little rougher the the knees. Recovery was faster though. Just as a side note. Until I was off the meds I did not carry at all.
Getting an Anterior replacement. Same day surgery. Lady down street walked a mile, (against doc orders). He said wait 2 days. Knees next after that. Ugh.
Hope it goes quick.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
This reminds me, I have never taken prescribed painkillers.

Reactions: Jflytle

·
Registered
158 Posts
Getting an Anterior replacement. Same day surgery. Lady down street walked a mile, (against doc orders). He said wait 2 days. Knees next after that. Ugh.
Hope it goes quick.

Had to stay over night, but that was dr's thing. I understand problems are pretty uncommon. I have had both knees done. I can tell you from experience follow the physical therapy instructions. It really does make all the difference. Heal faster and better.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts