Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
Now days it's just marketing labeling. Kimber has not had a real "Custom Shop" for many years and even then I think they provided marginal custom work. IMO

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I dunno, but my Custom Shop Super Carry shoots much better than my MCP. Could be that it has another inch of barrel, but the slide practically racks itself.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
"Custom Shop" Kimber was the first to make production line guns with features you would normally have to go to a gunsmith for.
Right on track there Chuck. Being a machinist for over 43 years I know the extra work it takes for fine detailing on custom parts and the extra bench work that come with. The Raptors are a good example with the radial ball scallops for gripping and the step cuts on the top of the slide, all of which take extra care to polish out the burs.

Kimber does it better than anyone I’ve seen for production CNC customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
39,577 Posts
Hey how about the CDP
That is from there “Custom shop”
"CDP" stands for Custom Defense Package, Kimber incorporated all the options they thought a good defensive gun needed into one package.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
"CDP" stands for Custom Defense Package, Kimber incorporated all the options they thought a good defensive gun needed into one package.
Yup, and such a good package it is that I have one each in .9mm and .45. Most excellent carry pistols! Shooting the nine is a most pleasant experience.

After about a year owning the .45, the 9mm just seemed like a logical decision. This model may be the very best carry package Kimbers offers (to me). Seems we "need" both. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yup, and such a good package it is that I have one each in .9mm and .45. Most excellent carry pistols! Shooting the nine is a most pleasant experience.

After about a year owning the .45, the 9mm just seemed like a logical decision. This model may be the very best carry package Kimbers offers (to me). Seems we "need" both. ;)
I have a Kimber Customm Shop Rimfire Super, it is a beautifully finished gun.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Custom Shop is a marketing gimmick they arbitrarily slap on some of their pistols. There is no functional difference.
Their not a True Custom Shop like Springfield. They don’t do custom orders. The Custom Shop Kimbers use the same base components but the Custom Shop models have special features. The Raptor takes more custom machining for the scalloped top slide and scale grip features. Special Finishes and processing and other features. That all costs money and time.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Hold on there Cairns... don't go confusing us with yer venn diagram on the facts of manufacturing and economics

·
Registered
56 Posts
Their not a True Custom Shop like Springfield. They don’t do custom orders. The Custom Shop Kimbers use the same base components but the Custom Shop models have special features. The Raptor takes more custom machining for the scalloped top slide and scale grip features. Special Finishes and processing and other features. That all costs money and time.

Yes, but by definition there is nothing "custom" about standard features within a standard (non LE, etc.) and mainstay product line. You can't order a new Raptor with a different feature set than the next fellow. They are all run through the assembly line in exactly the same way, which is precisely the opposite of custom.

You could send pistols back to product services to customize them, turning them in effect into a custom shop gun. AB ran a great shop when it was in NY, but none of the AL folks have the experience I'd need to trust them with that short of work now.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Yes, but by definition there is nothing "custom" about standard features within a standard (non LE, etc.) and mainstay product line. You can't order a new Raptor with a different feature set than the next fellow. They are all run through the assembly line in exactly the same way, which is precisely the opposite of custom.

You could send pistols back to product services to customize them, turning them in effect into a custom shop gun. AB ran a great shop when it was in NY, but none of the AL folks have the experience I'd need to trust them with that short of work now.
I guess Custom is subjective in this situation. A true Custom shop can build anything to your specification. But will also charge a arm and leg for that process. In Kimbers case those extras are produced on CNC with tooling and programs specifically for that model, hence the ability to give you a custom look at a reasonable price. The function and parts are still from their main manufacturing processes. It can still be considered Custom just not build to order.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hold on there Cairns... don't go confusing us with yer venn diagram on the facts of manufacturing and economics
No it’s just Kimbers version of the Performance Center S&W line. Extra machining and hand work makes it a Custom line model. Their still a production gun manufacturer. I’m surprised Springfield still has a true custom shop. If your gonna pay that much extra why not go Nighthawk, Wilson or Chambers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I guess Custom is subjective in this situation. A true Custom shop can build anything to your specification. But will also charge a arm and leg for that process. In Kimbers case those extras are produced on CNC with tooling and programs specifically for that model, hence the ability to give you a custom look at a reasonable price. The function and parts are still from their main manufacturing processes. It can still be considered Custom just not build to order.

See, the definition of custom according to Merriam Webster is "made or done to order for a particular customer". In Kimber's case, they make these "custom" guns by the tens of thousands with no clue as to which individual is buying them. There is no way you can stretch the actual definition to say they are building anything resembling custom guns.

You keep bringing up cost, but that was never the discussion. Of course a truly custom gun costs more, and Kimber doesn't charge custom gun prices because they aren't building custom guns.

No it’s just Kimbers version of the Performance Center S&W line. Extra machining and hand work makes it a Custom line model. Their still a production gun manufacturer. I’m surprised Springfield still has a true custom shop. If your gonna pay that much extra why not go Nighthawk, Wilson or Chambers.

The only extra hand work kimber has ever done in their semi auto pistols is to fit an oversized bushing to the Team/Gold/Super Match guns. The one used in the SM is a slightly different part even than in the other two mentioned.

A "Custom Shop" gun gets no more attention than its non-CS counterpart.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Again it’s just playing word games.
I guess we’ll call it the “Extra Special Features Shop”

And are you not the one that said they put custom shop on it and charge you extra money for the same base model?
I’m just pointing out it costs extra for that machining.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Again it’s just playing word games.
I guess we’ll call it the “Extra Special Features Shop”

The problem is that they use to, and still maybe do have an actual custom shop in the sense that you can/could send your gun in to have it modified to your liking. It is really then a custom shop gun, while those that they slap the CS label on are not.

Ironically this one was all built by Kimber from the get-go to my specs, and is the only one of its kind. It has the CS markings and is one of the few marked this way that's truly a CS gun.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Both my Custom Shop Kimbers are like vaults, way tighter than my MCP work smoother and shoot better. I don't know why and I don't care if it's a coincidence, I'm happy with them. You have a nice gun there. You might sleep better at night contenting yourself that you have a Merriam Webster Custom Kimber than acting butthurt that Kimber's Custom Shop isn't an obscure little boutique gun house anymore yet people still like them.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts