Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
I don't know if you read what I posted earlier in this thread, most people don't bother to read the entire thread, they just jump in at the end. Kimber does not have an actual "Custom Shop" they never claimed to. The "Custom Shop" logo came about when Kimber first started making production guns with features you would normally have to go to a gunsmith for.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Well Chuck, I don't know if he read your post or not; but he claims to have a Kimber Custom Shop gun that is one of one. I don't necessarily doubt his statement, but I will say (admittedly, from a place of ignorance) that it seems to me that there are only so many variations on this theme that are possible, and I wonder what the odds truly are that nobody else has ever chosen the same combination of "specifications" from the available options. I suppose it depends on how many times you want to split that hair, but each of my Kimbers are technically unique since they are all engraved with a serial number you won't find on any other- but now I'm just being an ass for the sake of argument.

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
There was a time when you could order a custom gun from Kimber, but you had to order a minimum of 50 guns. Like if we wanted a Kimber Talk 1911, we could specify the model, features and engraving we wanted on it. I haven't heard of them doing something like that in a long while, but for all I know they may still be offering that option.

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
Picking the gun would be the easiest part, there are only 3 choices, Ultra, Pro or Custom.

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
I agree, we start with a Super Carry Ultra Plus frame.

Just a side note, if it's not a .45, it's not a real gun, :p.

Reactions: Rick in Oregon

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I Don't know if they have, or ever had a true Custom Shop. There are some of there models that had that stamp, in the early days, and were limited runs of 100/300/500. 10 years ago I went to my LGS and ordered a Pro Carry HD, in 38 Super, and had them make some changes. Checkered the front strap and a few other tweaks. LGS had their shop rate card for this work, worked up the total and I paid. Custom shop, or semi-custom, or ??? I don't know. Also don't know if you can do that today. Used ta could.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know if you read what I posted earlier in this thread, most people don't bother to read the entire thread, they just jump in at the end. Kimber does not have an actual "Custom Shop" they never claimed to. The "Custom Shop" logo came about when Kimber first started making production guns with features you would normally have to go to a gunsmith for.
The term "Custom" in relation to the full size guns (as opposed to Pro and Ultra) was a result of Les incorporating features that were typically found on custom guns. The "Custom Shop" side stamp isn't related to that though.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
I agree, we start with a Super Carry Ultra Plus frame.

Just a side note, if it's not a .45, it's not a real gun, :p.
"Super Carry Ultra Plus" and make it all Stainless like a Raptor, with Match Grade (TFS) threaded for suppression barrel, slide milled for optic, tall suppressor sights...I'll take one! OR two if also offered in 9mm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The problem is that they use to, and still maybe do have an actual custom shop in the sense that you can/could send your gun in to have it modified to your liking. It is really then a custom shop gun, while those that they slap the CS label on are not.

Ironically this one was all built by Kimber from the get-go to my specs, and is the only one of its kind. It has the CS markings and is one of the few marked this way that's truly a CS gun.

View attachment 127591

That pic is identical to what my 45 looks like

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd love to see it - which model do you have that's flat topped, all stainless with polished flats, not high undercut, but has under trigger guard checkering, normal slide serrations, and is marked Custom Shop? Kimber certainly never made a factory model with all those features so yours must share some of the same customizations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I'd love to see it - which model do you have that's flat topped, all stainless with polished flats, not high undercut, but has under trigger guard checkering, normal slide serrations, and is marked Custom Shop? Kimber certainly never made a factory model with all those features so yours must share some of the same customizations.
This is my 45 Custom Shop Kimber…different color than Destrys
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Material property

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
"Super Carry Ultra Plus" and make it all Stainless like a Raptor, with Match Grade (TFS) threaded for suppression barrel, slide milled for optic, tall suppressor sights...I'll take one! OR two if also offered in 9mm.
This is the way.
I would buy that gun right now if they would make it.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
The problem is that they use to, and still maybe do have an actual custom shop in the sense that you can/could send your gun in to have it modified to your liking. It is really then a custom shop gun, while those that they slap the CS label on are not.

Ironically this one was all built by Kimber from the get-go to my specs, and is the only one of its kind. It has the CS markings and is one of the few marked this way that's truly a CS gun.

View attachment 127591
NICE !!!

...how about some more pics of this little beauty? What's up with that rear sight?

·
Registered
14,638 Posts

View attachment 127591
I have no doubt this pistol in the picture was all built by Kimber. I think many of us are skeptical that it was built "just for you to your specs." All I see is a Kimber pistol with idiot scratches and some checkering under the trigger guard which could have been machined by any one of hundreds of gun shops.
Did you work at Kimber factory? Are you related to the president of Kimber? Your stating all these possible insider Kimber facts and we have no way to confirm or call bullshit on your statements.
Forgive us but without some knowledge of your background most of your facts and statements are hard to swallow. I know you've been a member for 3 years but have a low post count and only recently began sharing this "insider" so called facts.
Help us understand.

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
As you can see from the pic of my customshop Kimber it is a darker color and I have no clue whatsoever the difference in it and a regular 45. I do know it has the strongest slide I have ever tried but man that thing is fun to shoot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have no doubt this pistol in the picture was all built by Kimber. I think many of us are skeptical that it was built "just for you to your specs." All I see is a Kimber pistol with idiot scratches and some checkering under the trigger guard which could have been machined by any one of hundreds of gun shops.
Did you work at Kimber factory? Are you related to the president of Kimber? Your stating all these possible insider Kimber facts and we have no way to confirm or call bullshit on your statements.
Forgive us but without some knowledge of your background most of your facts and statements are hard to swallow. I know you've been a member for 3 years but have a low post count and only recently began sharing this "insider" so called facts.
Help us understand.
I'm sure you can probably understand why I may not be able/willing to answer the two questions you ask in the middle of that post.

I am not saying there is anything terribly special about the pistol I posted above, only that it was built to my specs, and also says custom shop. This would apply to any CS gun that someone had sent back to Kimbers product services (Custom Shop) group to modify for them.

As to the technical knowledge I've provided, I'd be interested to hear if you've found any of it to be inaccurate.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Ok, now it sounds like you're saying the Custom Shop wasn't where you went for made-to-order Kimbers, but where you would send a "regular" Kimber you already purchased to be customised. Which is a very different thing, and something Kimber still does. My "Custom Shop" Super Carry HD was sent back to Kimber by the original owner to- inexplicably- have the slide milled for adjustable target sites. It already said "Custom Shop" on it at the time, but I digress...

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
That's the answer and confirmation I expected to get from you. I'm sure you can probably understand why some of us are not able/willing to accept/believe your technical facts.
I'm sure others have had the same and more questions like I asked, they just didn't.

As to the technical knowledge you provided I'd be interested why we should take your word for it that it's accurate.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts