Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
...but it's a "dry heat" right? Some years ago on my first visit to Phoenix I thought it'd fun to go for a hike. The Lost Dutchman state park was on the map I looked through in the hotel lobby and looked interesting. Lost treasure is always a plus so I loaded up my daypack with camera gear and a bunch of other necessities and headed out early. The park was fun but there was some alluring stuff in the distance. The map I picked up at the location listed the jagged bunch of stone on the horizon as "praying hands", again pretty cool I thought. In hindsight the sign on the trail warning that I was entering the Superstition Wilderness and was more or less on my own if I kept going should have given me cause to at least think it over. Back then though I thought "sounds like fun, how cool" and kept trekking. It was around 9:30 or 10 when I got to the base of the climb and I remember thinking it was feeling kinda hot for being early? About half an hour later I was in a canyon headed up and came across a spot with some shade. It looked to be an ideal spot to break and enjoy a little water and some of the "halflings leaf" I had brought (again this was many moons ago btw). After the break I figured I'd get back to heading up the trail, but...
...when I stepped out of my shaded spot the heat hit me like a shovel in the face! It felt like I stepped into a convection oven, I'd never felt anything like it.. After a second I stepped back into the shade and reassessed my plan. Needless to say going any further up the trail wasn't happening. I knew it was only going to get hotter so I paced myself, prayed some. occasionally looked back at the monolith, and eventually made it back to the bliss of my air conditioned car. Only my pride had been bruised :)
...yup, it does get hot in AZ.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Went hiking in Az years ago. Shirt never got sweaty. It evaporated off ya. Its dry heat and good thing my guide kept yelling at us to drink water because was having so much fun, didn’t even realize it was hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
And they said "The pen is mightier than the sword."
I think I'll stick with swords and guns.
…and grilled cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
People bitch about humid country. But I’d Dt Benning in the summer and it was great compared to here. It was 96 at 0600. Your lungs dry out fast.
When I worked and we had call outs it was tough fast. We were doing house to house yard to yard for several hours. Drank four 100 ml back bladders plus a bottle or two at the end of each street. Couldn’t sweat any more. Never had to pee. Did have to IVed though.
Asphalt roofs behind rifle glass gets tough too!

hope some of you have better summers.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I love AZ. I use to live there for 8 years 12 years ago
Now in Oregon we have 115 degrees
Good thing I love the hot weather

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
When I lived in the Southern California desert, it would be 100 deg F at midnight with no wind.
The air felt like bathwater at night, and North of 120 in the daytime.

"Dry Heat".
lol.
Yeah..dry heat just like your fucking oven.
The sun would dry out your wiper blades every 8 months or so..but you never had to use them.
The locals call that area the Devil's Taint.
We used to rescue the citiots from Truckhaven every year because they never prepared for the heat, and things would go bad really fast in the badlands.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love AZ. I use to live there for 8 years 12 years ago
Now in Oregon we have 115 degrees
Good thing I love the hot weather
eastern slope? Trained outside Spokane one year and it got hot….and runs PT along the River. Yea I know heat is not just an Az thing.

put on a class at Three Points once and someone hung a thermometer on a car antennae out of the range. 135! Reflective heat off the light desert floor is like that sunburn I get being on snow at high altitudes.
Official temps are recorded in the shade? Was always told that…

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh but storm hit quick last night. Our little area of acre properties got hammered. Bunch of running with chainsaws with sun up. Getting trees of trucks, houses and barns. Just got power back.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Same way here in southern new mexico. We always lose a hiker or two at the white sands monument nat park every summer because of extreme heat.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Here in Utah it has been 100 deg plus. It actually hit a 104 deg high a couple of days ago. Between the heat, smoke from California, ammo shortages etc. I have seen a drastic decline of shooters at our range. The range is all shaded, but it is still hot. Unless I have a strong reason to leave home, I am just not doing it right now.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Same story here on the high desert. Normal temps for this time of year run 80*~, but it's been 100*+ for weeks now. As a result, I've not fired a round out in the outback here, as it's even hotter out there, and by 0900, it's already time to head for home. And it's not even August yet! :oops:

I've got a sweet Browning HP coming back from Novak's next week after some custom work, and now I'll most likely have to wait for cooler weather to take her out......wonder how long that'll be? :confused:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Same story here on the high desert. Normal temps for this time of year run 80*~, but it's been 100*+ for weeks now. As a result, I've not fired a round out in the outback here, as it's even hotter out there, and by 0900, it's already time to head for home. And it's not even August yet! :oops:

I've got a sweet Browning HP coming back from Novak's next week after some custom work, and now I'll most likely have to wait for cooler weather to take her out......wonder how long that'll be? :confused:
...I'm not a gambling man but I believe the odds of a little "heat" stopping you from giving your new tricked out toy a whirl are slim-none.
Will be looking forward to the range report and pics of the departed rats that never knew what hit them :)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
...I'm not a gambling man but I believe the odds of a little "heat" stopping you from giving your new tricked out toy a whirl are slim-none.
Will be looking forward to the range report and pics of the departed rats that never knew what hit them :)
Well Mark, it's not "a little heat". More like 115*, and more than I can handle any more. Seems like after a year in RVN long ago, extreme heat really kicks my arse now. Normally after a toy coming back from a shop, it's straight out to my range, but not so much this year. There'll be a range report for sure when my Danner's won't melt on the pavement.

It's also so hot here this year, that virtually all our ground squirrels and rock chucks have already gone down, and we won't see them until late February of next year. It's a short "season" for those critters in a normal year, but this year is unusual to say the least. Mucho calente!

Never thought I'd be looking forward to November in July......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts