Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering installing a retractable awning over the deck on the back of the house. I was just wondering if anyone here has done something like this and if they had any suggestions, either Pro or Con.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Haven't done it. Our patio cover is old school from 1965. We'll probably replace it next time we paint. Mrs. Iron talks about patio covers that have louvers. They close completely to keep out rain, or open up to regulate how much sun you get. It sounds like the hot ticket, and although they've been around for years, I'm still a little skeptical.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I had one several years ago for a couple of weeks. I say this because the first time I opened it up a couple of hours later a stiff wind and rain storm came thru and ripped the thing off the house! I had to install a wood framed with metal roof thing that has stood the test of time.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Sunsetter seems to still be popular. But you need to really be aware of the weather. When we get storms, strong winds come right out of the north. Direction my deck faces. Wouldn’t take much as mentioned above, to get torn out.
We’ve been contemplating it or even a screened enclosure. Using an umbrella is even a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Fortunately, our deck is partly shaded all day at various times, with our trees it's direct sun or shade at various times during the day. BUT we live on the high desert, and juniper trees are the norm. So we get shade alrighty, but we pay for that shade with juniper berries everywhere, bits of juniper sprigs and sap.

So no matter what you choose for your particular geographical area, there will be negative aspects to obtaining shade, either natural or man-made. Seems nature always wins, no matter what. And we humans always seek out shade, but it seems to also come at a cost.

Oh, and a purely personal note: Wind SUCKS! It foils virtually every activity I enjoy....mountain biking, scuba diving, precision shooting, relaxing on that deck.....everything!
(I know that didn't help your decision one bit Chuck; sorry. But as has been mentioned, Sunsetter seems to be the choice from what my limited experience tells me.)

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Heh, I watched that damn wind march our heavy stainless steel grill across the deck sideways like it was possessed. Scary when it hits around here.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
I looked into this a couple of years ago. Sunsetter was the direction I was going in. They seem like the best choice. I called up and spoke to a local rep. He said he would be in my area on a Sunday and would give me a call. It’s been 2 years so I don’t think he’s stopping bye. I lost interest after that. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the poor work ethic contractors have in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I looked into this a couple of years ago. Sunsetter was the direction I was going in. They seem like the best choice. I called up and spoke to a local rep. He said he would be in my area on a Sunday and would give me a call. It’s been 2 years so I don’t think he’s stopping bye. I lost interest after that. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the poor work ethic contractors have in Pennsylvania.
Not just PA. Seems whomever has the most expensive install gets priority.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
...you're not in NJ anymore Dorothy
Went through hell in NJ in 60+ years. Survived them all. Storms, floods, hurricanes, himacanes, etc. wasn’t unusual. Was not fun.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Sunsetter seems to still be popular. But you need to really be aware of the weather. When we get storms, strong winds come right out of the north. Direction my deck faces. Wouldn’t take much as mentioned above, to get torn out.
We’ve been contemplating it or even a screened enclosure. Using an umbrella is even a pain.

Thats the brand that flew off the house!

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Chuck, I didn’t get the awning but I did pick up one of these swamp coolers. It would be a nice addition to the awning. My deck gets full sun in the afternoon. It’s hot as hell. This thing is a game changer.

·
Super Moderator
38,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right now I'm looking at Sunsetter awnings, I hadn't even given a thought to an evaporative cooler. Thanks for the suggestion John, this is what I love about you guys always willing to go that extra step to help a guy improve on something. (y)

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Wind SUCKS! It foils virtually every activity I enjoy....mountain biking, scuba diving, precision shooting, relaxing on that deck.....everything!
We don't get wind strong enough to destroy structures. But our patio is on the north side, and the grass directly adjacent to the patio has a tough time. Since our puppy came around last year, the shaded grass has become mostly dirt.

I didn't know you rode. Chuck might be happiest if he tabled this notion of a deck awning, and bought himself a bike.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would also consider looking at any local RV dealers you might have. You may have to do a little engineering but I doubt not much. I agree on stowing when not in use, especially if wind is in the forecast.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have you considered erecting a Pergola? They make great shades and the air flows through them.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I may have a small patio awning in my warehouse o' stuff. Seems I bought an 8 or 10 footer off craigslist. It was off a house, not RV. Probably too small but if you're interested I can go look and see what I have. I'm about an hour and a half south of the OH/MI state line at US23.

·
Super Moderator
38,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chuck might be happiest if he tabled this notion of a deck awning, and bought himself a bike.
Chuck has a bike, he rides a long wheelbase recumbent.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I've had a motorized Sun setter for the last 9 yr.s. 20 ft. with no problems what so ever. get the sensor for wind automatically retracts...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts