Kimber Talk Forums banner

Do you carry while your at home ??

3K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Dude22 
#1 ·
I often get asked the question by friends who know that I carry: “Do you carry even when you’re home?” It’s a valid question I suppose, and my answer is always “**** YEA I DO!”

My reasoning is simple and can be broken down into a few important points:

Although a break-in while at home is rare where I live, there’s always a chance
I’d only have seconds to act if someone were to break into my home
I carry all day anyway, why make an exception while I’m home?
When I get dressed, my firearm is a part of my daily attire

Bullet Point #1 Explanation:

I’ll just use the fire extinguisher example. We all have them in our homes in case of a fire. We rarely have fires and hope to never have a fire but if we do, we have a remedy to attempt to stop that fire in it’s tracks before the unthinkable happens. The same rule applies to my firearm.
Bullet Point #2 Explanation:

If I’m in my family room at 10pm watching TV and someone kicks in my front door, I’d have to run by the intruder to get to the location where I usually store my firearm when it’s not on my hip. Why not have it right there, ready to go if it’s ever needed.
Bullet Point #3 Explanation:

It seems silly and unnecessary to remove my firearm and holster from their position just because I am at home. My holster is so comfortable, I forget it’s even there. Unless I’m doing my business or sleeping, it’s on my hip where it belongs.
Bullet Point #4 Explanation:

Along the lines of #3, my rig is a solid part of my daily attire. If I got dressed without putting my wallet in my pocket, it’d be the same feeling of nakedness if I did the same thing with my firearm.

In closing, we all carry to be prepared. Being prepared in your home is no different than being prepared away from your home. Crime can occur anywhere and unless you have a Gun Free Zone sign on your front door (obviously, this is a joke), your home is no exception. So, my advice is yes, you should carry while you’re home

See less See more
#2 ·
Short answer: Yes

Exception: sometimes while doing yard work I may not have all my carry items on me; i.e. phone, wallet, keys, gun, etc.

#5 ·
Sometimes carry at home. Pistol within reach of my recliner.

#10 ·
(Close your eyes, lol)... I often just run around in my gym shorts or commando style... So the answer is NO. I have multi staging areas that suffice. I know quite a few people that do around me and asked me why I don't.

Simple answers are:

1) Holster and Gym Shorts or Commando style does not make a good carry.
2) Main reason... I will NOT be forced to become a prisoner in my own home. If I have to start wearing a gun in my home, I will simply move to a safer area and/or build one big wall around my property.

If you have guns staged strategically and train to retrieve them, I see no reason to be practically fully dressed and fully armed on person. Let's face it, if you have to, the whole 'sanctity of your home' goes out the window. IMHO of course. ;)

#13 ·
If you have guns staged strategically and train to retrieve them, I see no reason to be practically fully dressed and fully armed on person. Let's face it, if you have to, the whole 'sanctity of your home' goes out the window. IMHO of course. ;)
Most times I would agree with you but (there's that but again) when any of the 5 grandchildren are visiting the strategically staged guns are gathered up and locked in the safe. Then I go into carry mode.

Reactions: Marshall
#16 ·
2) Main reason... I will NOT be forced to become a prisoner in my own home. If I have to start wearing a gun in my home, I will simply move to a safer area and/or build one big wall around my property.

I would love not to carry at the house all the time,but at any given moment I may have one or more college girls just popping in the front/back door. As Chuck also stated,there is also a grand daughter that is here from time to time. Just in case of a problem though,I have strategically placed GiGi's chair 7 ft from the front door. If you can get past a Mexican Momma beat down and the pain she will make you feel,you just may beg for me to put you out of your misery by putting a cap in your arse..:D

#11 ·
OK, someone pass me the eye bleach. John's playing commando again.

BTW, just in case ....

#17 ·
Nice shoulder rig Gary. Do you own it or just like the style? I have two holsters from Horseshoe. Both I ordered in person, at his shop. My shoulder rig, an early version of the one you pictured, is for my Brownings. The other is an inside the waistband unit I don't really use any longer.
The man makes some beautiful artwork in the form of leather holsters.

#19 ·
Nah, I don't currently own a shoulder rig. That was just a suggestion for gym short / commando days. ;) It is a good looking rig, though.

I've considered a shoulder rig, but don't usually wear any type of coat to cover one. Waist carry is much easier for me to conceal.

#21 ·
Whoa, those drop down shelves are cool. I can easily make something like that if I can get a line on those magnetic latches.

#22 ·
There is another company that eludes me at the moment that makes similar and they disengage another way. But they have all kinds of furniture. Coffee tables, cabinets, desks, etc... They are not cheap though!

If you have seen the movie GI Joe (think it was the GI Joe:Retaliation version), with Dywane Johnson and Bruce Willis and see the part where they visit Bruce's house to enlist his aid, you can get an idea of all nifty areas like that. Even under your cooking range. His house is loaded with hidden weapons just housed in normal places....

I'm creative myself, but really need a nice woodshop setup which I have on my todo list because I love working with wood.

#23 ·
this has been a major point of discussion with my friends for many years. I look forward to coming home from work and putting on my sweats and a t-shirt. Because my kids are grown and (somewhat) on their own I DO keep guns in semi hidden locales throughout my house. I figure if a guy wants bash down my door and start shooting then I'm doomed. But if a situation presents itself where I need protection ( not the kind you keep in your wallet, those days have passed) I can have a firearm ready to go in less than 10 seconds. From the storage compartment in my sofa, to the nightstand in my bedroom, I'm good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.