Kimber Talk Forums banner

Does this look right

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Argee 
#1 ·
What are your thoughts? Was this barrel reamed correctly?
Wood Textile Sleeve Grey Audio equipment

See less See more
#6 ·
No. “Normal?”…unlikely. Uncommon, yes.

#8 ·
I think it is more sloppy than anything else. Looks like the crown will probably ok though. Looks like where the grooves and lands end are the high and low spots. Hard to tell from the picture. Since you are recovering and it might be a couple of weeks before you can get to a range, send it back and say fix it. Maybe after the move some of the smiths could use a little fine tuning in the artistry of a 1911. Probably shoot ok though.

#9 ·
When I sent my Kimber revolver in to have a wobly front sight fixed. I told them the trigger pull was not a lfht or smooth as I was expecting. I received the gun back from Kimber with the front sight fixed and the trigger as smooth as warm butter. I did not ask them to improve the trigger, just called their attention to it. They were super to me. Unlike another company whose initials are Sig Sauer. I sent my Sig back to them 3 times, then fixed it myself.

#10 ·
I've seen worse examples of questonable factory QC, but those examples almost all shot well despite looking like someone used a pipe reamer to crown the muzzle. Once you're healed up, go out and shoot it, as you may also be happily surprised. Of course you could always take it to your smith for some fine polishing on the muzzle to make it more visually appealing to you. I've done some myself just using a lead .44 caliber ball intended for muzzleloaders with some Flitz or Semichrome metal polish and just lap it by hand. You could also use automotive valve lapping compound for faster results, but I'd do nothing until I shot it first.

But if you ever have to return it to the mothership and it looks "too purty", they may deny your warranty. They're a picky sort in that regard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.