Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Kimber. Micro 9 is such a beautiful gun it was love at first sight.

Day one I put 150 rounds and unfortunately the relationship is off to a rough start.

Multiple problems, the fist I think is very worrisome .

- When the gun is in slide lock, ejecting the clip will cause the slide to close. I can reproduce this at will 3 out of 5 times when racking the slide with a empty clip. This is not right.

- When I reproduce the problem what I notice is when I rack the slide with a empty clip, the slide lock lever fully engages the slide, pic enclosed.
Automotive lighting Grey Automotive tire Gadget Audio equipment

Question has anybody else had this problem.

Other problems mostly when I have read from others.
  • Out of the box the screw on the bottom of the clip was loose. The baseplate would wiggle. Had to tighten it.
  • When I insert a clip hard with the slide lock open, the slide will close. Maybe not a bad one when speed loading but seems like the opportunity for a discharge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can post a video of this if it would help. Not sure if a new member can do that or even how to do it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hi @HuJass and welcome! Other's have experienced similar problems. Most likely the problem is with the magazine. My advice would be to call Kimber's customer service and let them direct you to the proper course of action.

The part about the slide closing after inserting a full magazine is normal on most of my pistols and would certainly be advantageous should one ever be involved in a fire fight. It's only an opportunity for discharge if you excercise poor trigger finger discipline.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
Personally I would call Kimber, be very polite, explain the issue and ask them to fix it.
Then send it in.
They will have in back to you in 10 days, and it will function flawlessly.
Kimber customer service is outstanding, and ridiculously fast.

The slide closing when you eject the magazine is an issue.
Closing when a full mag is inserted isn't a bad thing and all modern HK pistols do this intentionally, to make tactical reloads more efficient, and get you back in the fight qithout the extra step of manually chambering a round every time you reload with a fresh magazine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Micro 9 is currently at Kimber to fix a magazine catch problem causing the magazine to fall out while firing. A different problem than yours but possibly related as Kimber said they had a run of bad magazine catches. I'd recommend calling Kimber and getting it returned for warranty service.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My Micro 9 is currently at Kimber to fix a magazine catch problem causing the magazine to fall out while firing. A different problem than yours but possibly related as Kimber said they had a run of bad magazine catches. I'd recommend calling Kimber and getting it returned for warranty service.
Had the same issue with micro Rapide.

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
@HuJass welcome to the site from Tennessee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your replies.

I called Kimber and got a RMA. Will post back to the thread with my results.

For the record I do not like the Kimber clip.

- The metal edges are sharp and hurt during handling when loading.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The "auto" closing slide is 50/50 at best!
You must be sure where the pistol is pointed and finger off trigger.

I'd call it a problem for most people.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Thank you all for your replies.

I called Kimber and got a RMA. Will post back to the thread with my results.

I don’t have a Micro 9 but I have heard people here use Sig P938 mags but they need a slight modification. I’m sure someone will explain what to do or you can search YouTube.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have dealt with this problem extensively. Do not believe the malarky above that an obvious malfunction is a feature! The slide should lock back when the last round is fired and should stay locked back until YOU release it, not fall by itself when you insert a magazine.

The cause of the problem is fairly obvious when looking at your photo. The rear face of the slide stop is machined at an incorrect angle. The slide notch is actually back-cut specifically to promote the slide lock moving further upward and being more secure when engaging. However the back edge of the slide lock is machined in the wrong direction.

I sent mine back to Kimber to address this, along with other issues. They replaced the slide lock with another that was exactly the same, and it had zero effect.

Eventually I took it to a nearby gunsmith who spotted the issue immediately. He put the slide lock in his mill and removed just a tidge of material from the bottom of the rearward-facing surface to make it match the angle of the notch in the slide. 100% fix. Now, when the lock is pressed upwards by the magazine follower, when the recoil spring drives the slide forward, the mating angles cause the slide lock to engage further, instead of disengage.

I discussed this problem repeatedly in somebody else’s thread:

There you can see close up pics of the obvious parts mismatch, and a video of the failure mode.

Here is the repair underway:

Jig grinder Drilling Wood Drill presses Floor

And the finished result:

Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire Trigger

Although this repair was done using a mill, that was done more to justify the existence of the mill than anything else. It would be just as effective to clamp it in a vice and carefully use a file to alter the profile. Do a little at a time, test fitting until you are happy with the result. Remember, you can always remove more but you can’t put any back!

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts

So, don’t touch them. :)

Seriously, there are a number of products intended to make the job much easier and pain free. On the advice of people here I bought this:

I recently bought a similar but competing design for other guns, and they make one specifically for the Micro 9 also:

Either one will make magazine loading a breeze.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have dealt with this problem extensively. Do not believe the malarky above that an obvious malfunction is a feature! The slide should lock back when the last round is fired and should stay locked back until YOU release it, not fall by itself when you insert a magazine.
You are correct...it's not a feature but then again it's not an issue either.

Most of my of pistols will do it because the magazine follower of the empty magazine is no longer activating the slide stop so when you slap the new loaded magazine in hard enough it causes the slide stop to bounce and release.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You are correct...it's not a feature but then again it's not an issue either.

Most of my of pistols will do it because the magazine follower of the empty magazine is no longer activating the slide stop so when you slap the new loaded magazine in hard enough it causes the slide stop to bounce and release.
That, sir, is a malfunction. You may choose to accept it, but it’s still wrong.

I used to have a full-sized 1911 where sometimes after cycling, the hammer would drop to the half-cock notch. The hammer should NEVER drop unless the trigger is pulled.

i chose to ignore this obvious malfunction because I was just target shooting and it was easy to thumb-cock it and fire the next round. I told myself the same thing—it’s not an issue. In that particular case, eventually it became an issue when the half cock notch failed and the gun doubled (fired two rounds full-auto). Then, I had it fixed.

A slide falling by itself is nowhere near as dangerous as my example above, but it’s still wrong. At some point the slide could fall before the magazine is fully inserted so it fails to pick up a round. Then you think you have a live gun, but the chamber is actually empty. My Micro 9 did that to me a few times before I fixed it. In a gun designed exclusively for defensive encounters, that is VERY much an issue.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
It's a malfunction on a micro 9 which is why everyone has suggested sending into Kimber.

Its not a malfunction on other handguns that were specifically designed that way.

The HK P2000, for example, is designed to release the slide when you slam a magazine into it, to speed up tactical reloads amd eliminate a step (releasing the slide) after reloading, during a gunfight.
It won't cause the HK to discharge even if you are holding the trigger like a dumbass.

Reactions: cavelamb

·
Registered
474 Posts
When the gun is in slide lock, ejecting the clip will cause the slide to close.
Hey! Chuck43! (remember me?)

HuJass is talking about a clip. I don't understand. Is he talking about a claw clip, sectioning clip, wave clip, French clip, snap clip, banana clip, paper clip, pearl clip, bill clip, hair clip, bumpit clip, dollar clip, butterfly clip, U-clip, flange clip, hammer clip, snap clip, end clip, eye clip, swivel clip, bull clip, split clip, suspender clip, pipe clip, roof clip, truss clip, wire clip, spring clip, flange clip, rocker clips, rivet clip, bumper clip, scissor clip, moulding clip, V-clip, or maybe even a vasectomy, (nut clip)?

Just messing with you HuJass. Take no offense.
You had to be here 5 months ago to understand.🙂

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
Short Fuse you forgot the most important one: Tater Chip Clip.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts