Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...well it looks like it's time to plug in my humidity control device again. It sounds kinda fancy when I say it that way don't it?
In reality there's nothing fancy about the EVA DRY 500 and they run about $20.00. I've had mine for about 3 years and it's worked great and is holding up fine. You simply put in the area where you'd like to minimize humidity and that's it. The desiccant capsules are visible through a window, they turn green when "full". By plugging the unit into household AC for a day or so they dry out and are ready to go back to work. I have a relatively small safe, around 12 cubic feet and the model I have lasts 3-4 months before turning colors. The safe is at a minimum opened daily to stow away my nightstand gun. I believe this model is actually rated to regulate an area much larger. They're available in various sizes and seem to be a nice inexpensive option for things that need stored in dry environments.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,435 Posts
Yep, I have two of those units in my safe. They work fine, I've "recharged" them one time since i bought them 3 years ago. I need to check, may be time to plug them in again...

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
When you open the safe what is the humidity level compared to inside your home? In other words, is it making a difference?

I’ve read that a consistent temp around 70 and humidity around 50 is ideal. Avoid large temperature swings. Avoid too low humidity levels as it can effect wood stocks

I have seen nightmare rust issues keeping guns inside furry lined cases. A guy at the club destroyed a blued revolver in just a few weeks inside a furry lined pistol case while all his other firearms were fine. He guessed that the case collected moisture when he was shoooting the gun on a humid day and then stored it like that.

Most of my guns I keep inside the house/safe and never used any moisture trapping devices. Our AC unit keeps temps and humidity close to the above numbers. Also keep a glock, revolver and shotgun in the truck 365 days. They get wiped down with a silicon cloth. Never had any rust issues and it gets very humid around here in the summer.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you open the safe what is the humidity level compared to inside your home? In other words, is it making a difference?

I’ve read that a consistent temp around 70 and humidity around 50 is ideal. Avoid large temperature swings. Avoid too low humidity levels as it can effect wood stocks

I have seen nightmare rust issues keeping guns inside furry lined cases. A guy at the club destroyed a blued revolver in just a few weeks inside a furry lined pistol case while all his other firearms were fine. He guessed that the case collected moisture when he was shoooting the gun on a humid day and then stored it like that.

Most of my guns I keep inside the house/safe and never used any moisture trapping devices. Our AC unit keeps temps and humidity close to the above numbers. Also keep a glock, revolver and shotgun in the truck 365 days. They get wiped down with a silicon cloth. Never had any rust issues and it gets very humid around here in the summer.
You are correct that 70 degrees and 50% humidity is ideal. I'm sure there are times that our indoor climate is on the money, not always though. Our daughter is 12 and Trixie (our Covid dog) is 16 months. They both get into the back yard through a door in the living room. Even in the dead of summer when the windows are closed during the daylight hours that door seems to be constantly getting open and shut? The biggest swings and problematic seasons are Spring and Fall. We're fresh air folk and whenever possible the windows are open. This morning for example the temperature is 67 degrees and the air quality rating is an excellent 10 (basically zero pollen or pollution), so despite the humidity being 91percent the windows are open and I'm listening to the birds as I type...

Like you mentioned temperature swings also play a role in the equation. My safe is in a closet that isn't climate controlled and mounted to an external wall. I know that's not the ideal scenario but it fits and is a wife friendly discrete location. The temperature in that closet can easily be 20 degrees different either way and equalize within a few minutes of the door being opened o_O

The truth is that your silicon cloth or my periodic Ballistol treatments probably are the biggest factors in keeping things nice. That and the fact that I'd guess you like myself are a bit on the OCD side as far as not putting things up dirty?

...I have to say I am surprised to hear you don't do anything? I'd have pegged you as a Goldenrod guy 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The truth is that your silicon cloth or my periodic Ballistol treatments probably are the biggest factors in keeping things nice. That and the fact that I'd guess you like myself are a bit on the OCD side as far as not putting things up dirty?
Depends. If I'm shooting certain guns more frequently they'll get put up dirty. My AR gets very little cleaning attention when I'm shooting it regularly, same with my rimfire guns. Guns that I rarely shoot are cleaned after shooting.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I keep a large dehumidifier in the "basement" due to occasional flooding.
I keep guns in the upper floors in safes and a secure room with a climate monitor.
Usually stays close to 70 degrees and around 60% humidity in the house due to AC in the summer and gas/fireplace during winter.
I have not had any issues with rust with guns stored inside the home.
I store my guns clean, especially rimfire.
Rimfire is nasty ammo.
Couple times a year I pull some stored guns out and inspect/oil them.
Everything gets cleaned every couple years.
A man need to keep his tools clean and ready for work.

Reactions: DeOlMan

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't really care for the EVA-DRY. They have no temperature control. I plug them in, forget about them and in two days, the window is blackened. I have gone through three of these things. They would be ok if they had a trickle mode to keep the pellets warm but not burnt. I have pulled them apart. The pellets in the window are a different size than in the main capsule.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts