Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Being the new guy, I hereby comply with a request to post pics of the kids. Not Present: New Mako R7. I posted a photo of that in its equally new Vedder holster under a separate thread.

View attachment 130416
Looks great!
Now you'll be needing a pro and full sized Kimber.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks great!
Now you'll be needing a pro and full sized Kimber.
Agree more is better.

The Ultra Carry is as big as I have gone with Kimber. I have a couple of 1911s. An S&W Performance Center is the nicest among those. All are .45. No full size 1911's in 9mm or 10mm. Yet.

The 10mm Kimber's have been calling my name though. My hesitation has been having to stock up on yet another caliber. Especially with prices being what they are.

I thought the Solo's might raise some comments. I mentioned in another post that I adopt rescue dogs nobody wants. :) I wont beat that rug. I got them running OK with a little tweaking and using select ammo.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Agree more is better.

The Ultra Carry is as big as I have gone with Kimber. I have a couple of 1911s. An S&W Performance Center is the nicest among those. All are .45. No full size 1911's in 9mm or 10mm. Yet.

The 10mm Kimber's have been calling my name though. My hesitation has been having to stock up on yet another caliber. Especially with prices being what they are.

I thought the Solo's might raise some comments. I mentioned in another post that I adopt rescue dogs nobody wants. :) I wont beat that rug. I got them running OK with a little tweaking and using select ammo.
Ahh, you DO need a full sized .45 1911.
You came to the right place sir.
We can definitely help spend your money on your next firearm purchase.👍😁

I EDC an Ultra Carry II in .45, like God intended.
I recently missed out on a SW Performance Center 1911 in .45. I should have jumped on it.
Can't get em all, even if I want them all..lol.

I understand about the Solo.
I have a thing for shitty mouse guns too.;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand about the Solo.
I have a thing for shitty mouse guns too.;)
As the Zen philosopher Basho once said, "On a dark deserted street, a mouse in your pocket is better than a set of bongos."

Occasionally someone at the range scoffs about my 380 or small .22. I suggest they point one at their groin and pull the trigger. If the round doesn't penetrate their denim and tighty whiteys, the beer is on me.

Right tool for the right job. I never met a pistol I didn't like. Unless it was a Taurus.👈

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
As the Zen philosopher Basho once said, "On a dark deserted street, a mouse in your pocket is better than a set of bongos."

Occasionally someone at the range scoffs about my 380 or small .22. I suggest they point one at their groin and pull the trigger. If the round doesn't penetrate their denim and tighty whiteys, the beer is on me.

Right tool for the right job. I never met a pistol I didn't like. Unless it was a Taurus.👈
I like mouse guns.. but I am not crazy enough to carry them for self defense.:)

Taurus isn't all bad.
I have a TX22 competition that has been flawless, and shoots like a laser.
Yes, they have made some terrible guns, but the TX22 isn't one of them.
It's made here in GA.

Air gun Trigger Grey Font Rectangle

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kidding aside, I have had a couple of decent Taurus wheel guns. But my experience with their customer service with semi autos was not good. Twice. Any mass produced firearm can have issues or recalls. I get that. It's how the company handles it that separates the good from the bad. That's the kiss of death for me with a gun maker, shop or other service. Jerking me around or taking weeks to fix a defect guarantees that I won't come back.

I've heard people complain about Kimber support but the couple of times I needed them they were responsive and solved the issue quickly with no runaround. Over the years, I have had good experiences with Ruger, Springfield, Beretta and Sig support also. Some better than others but overall satisfactory.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Kidding aside, I have had a couple of decent Taurus wheel guns. But my experience with their customer service with semi autos was not good. Twice. Any mass produced firearm can have issues or recalls. I get that. It's how the company handles it that separates the good from the bad. That's the kiss of death for me with a gun maker, shop or other service. Jerking me around or taking weeks to fix a defect guarantees that I won't come back.

I've heard people complain about Kimber support but the couple of times I needed them they were responsive and solved the issue quickly with no runaround. Over the years, I have had good experiences with Ruger, Springfield, Beretta and Sig support also. Some better than others but overall satisfactory.
Taurus had great customer service until they were caught up in a lawsuit a few years back, by a cop that was an idjit and had a negligent discharge.
During the litigation Taurus basically shut down their CS department.
They wouldn't even answer the phone.
After the settlement, however, they are back to business as usual.

Kimber has some of the best and fastest CS in the industry.
The only people that I have heard complain about Kimber's CS are the assholes that are rude when they call them.
Kimber is on point, but they won't tolerate assholes.
I don't blame them. I don't either.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have spent some time in Brasil. It's awesome in many ways. I have friends there. Their guns... not so much. You can't be great at everything.
View attachment 130433
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

They can make excellent guns in Brazil.
They just can't design them for shit.
The PT92 is a fantastic gun.

The better Taurus offerings these days are born in Bainbridge, GA.
For the record I agree most Taurus guns are terrible.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
View attachment 130434

They can make excellent guns in Brazil.
They just can't design them for shit.
The PT92 is a fantastic gun.

The better Taurus offerings these days are born in Bainbridge, GA.
For the record I agree most Taurus guns are terrible.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time
I'd rather have a real Beretta 92. Wait. I do have a real Beretta.

But I also have a Girsan and I must say that it is an excellent copy of the Italian or Accokeekian (Maryland) version. The Turks have it all over Brasil when it comes to making guns. Then again, Turkey doesn't have the same scenery.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I'd rather have a real Beretta 92. Wait. I do have a real Beretta.

But I also have a Girsan and I must say that it is an excellent copy of the Italian or Akokeekian (Maryland) version. The Turks have it all over Brasil when it comes to making guns. Then again, Turkey doesn't have the same scenery.
I really like the 92 but to me, it just ain't worth what Beretta wants for a new one.
The older Taurus 92 clones were made in the Beretta equipment that they left in Brazil when their Military contract ended.
The Brazilians just kept on making them with a few tweaks to fix the flaws in the original Berettas.
Those were excellent guns, and you can find them for $300 or so.

Girsan makes a Browning Hi Power clone that is a closer copy of the original than the SA35.
The SA 35 is priced close to what a nice original Browning sells for.

Turkey makes decent pistols.
Shotguns, not so much. :LOL:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a CZ O/U. Mostly that's the gun I loan to friends if we shoot clays. It's OK. Runs fine. Reliable. The stock is decent walnut. But it's heavy and lacks the balance of a better o/u like the mid-range Brownings and Berettas.

The cheap brand-du jour Turkish scatterguns or the more recent AR and AK shotguns? No thanks. I'd rather save my pennies and get a good shotgun. Not a freakish mutation of a pattern that was never intended to shoot shotshells.

I have noticed the cost of the SA-35. I'll check out the Girsan. It doesn't have the same cachet, but I'll bet it is a good and reliable shooter. I'm a fan now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The struggle is real with 10mm. I recently added 10mm and I have yet to see a 50rd box of ammo on a shelf. $43/20rds of self defense ammo… not a chance.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts