Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The struggle is real with 10mm. I recently added 10mm and I have yet to see a 50rd box of ammo on a shelf. $43/20rds of self defense ammo… not a chance.
That's the truth.
My Brother in law just picked up a 10mm TNW Aero Survival Pistol to use as a truck/farm/hog eradication gun.

We have 10mm on the shelves but good lord they are pricey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like mouse guns.. but I am not crazy enough to carry them for self defense.:)

Taurus isn't all bad.
I have a TX22 competition that has been flawless, and shoots like a laser.
Yes, they have made some terrible guns, but the TX22 isn't one of them.
It's made here in GA.

View attachment 130428
G2's and G3's are also great for the price, Taurus is finally getting there act together 👍👍👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
As the Zen philosopher Basho once said, "On a dark deserted street, a mouse in your pocket is better than a set of bongos."

Occasionally someone at the range scoffs about my 380 or small .22. I suggest they point one at their groin and pull the trigger. If the round doesn't penetrate their denim and tighty whiteys, the beer is on me.

Right tool for the right job. I never met a pistol I didn't like. Unless it was a Taurus.👈
I have a Taurus 92AF and it is a great gun. It feeds from the same trough as the Kimbers and they all get along. It's all in how you raise them. :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Taurus had great customer service until they were caught up in a lawsuit a few years back, by a cop that was an idjit and had a negligent discharge.
During the litigation Taurus basically shut down their CS department.
They wouldn't even answer the phone.
After the settlement, however, they are back to business as usual.

Kimber has some of the best and fastest CS in the industry.
The only people that I have heard complain about Kimber's CS are the assholes that are rude when they call them.
Kimber is on point, but they won't tolerate assholes.
I don't blame them. I don't either.
Taurus got the shaft on that one, a leftist judge and an idiot was the problem the guns were fine ☹☹

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have no real beef with the guns. No strong opinion either way. But when CS jerks me around for two weeks and then confesses me they have no parts for a 5-year-old Taurus pistol... we are done. I have been able to source parts for 100-year-old Browning shotguns, 50 year old Berettas, 30 year old Sigs and others. They suck. I want nothing to do with Taurus. They will never see another nickel of my money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have no real beef with the guns. No strong opinion either way. But when CS jerks me around for two weeks and then confesses me they have no parts for a 5-year-old Taurus pistol... we are done. I have been able to source parts for 100-year-old Browning shotguns, 50 year old Berettas, 30 year old Sigs and others. They suck. I want nothing to do with Taurus. They will never see another nickel of my money.
To each there own I guess I've been lucky have never needed to order parts for a Taurus but if I did I probably wouldn't go to Taurus since parts are readily available from other sources and cheaper, I'm been a gun buff for over half a century and have never failed to find parts for anything, if it was man-made someone has parts and I would never use that excuse not to own one but your money spend it as you see fit🥴🥴🥴

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
To each there own I guess I've been lucky have never needed to order parts for a Taurus but if I did I probably wouldn't go to Taurus since parts are readily available from other sources and cheaper, I'm been a gun buff for over half a century and have never failed to find parts for anything, if it was man-made someone has parts and I would never use that excuse not to own one but your money spend it as you see fit🥴🥴🥴
Yea Jeez how dumb would that be.. expecting to source a part for a five year old gun from the company that made it. Not only do they admit not having the part, they will not repair or exchange the pistol. Because they don’t have parts.

The customer support person asked me for my serial number three separate times over two weeks of maddening back and forth. It became painfully obvious they don’t have their act together.

All the usual suspects in the third party gun parts world were contacted and the only available part was used. No new old stock. Anywhere.

What I ended up doing was buying a cut up gun on eBay. A legally destroyed firearm that’s missing the serialized component. If I wanted to I could have made the part. I have a small mill. The point is parts should be available for a five year old pistol.

I should have just shit canned the gun . It wasn’t worth the time I invested. But it became a quest.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Yea Jeez how dumb would that be.. expecting to source a part for a five year old gun from the company that made it. Not only do they admit not having the part, they will not repair or exchange the pistol. Because they don’t have parts.

The customer support person asked me for my serial number three separate times over two weeks of maddening back and forth.

All the usual suspects in the third party gun parts world were contacted and the only available part was used. No new old stock. Anywhere.

What I ended up doing was buying a cut up gun on eBay. A legally destroyed firearm that’s missing the serialized component. If I wanted to I could have made the part. I have a small mill. The point is parts should be available for a five year old pistol.

I should have just shit canned the gun . It wasn’t worth the time I invested. But it became a quest.
That would crank my gears too.
Just shitty business practice.

That also reminds me I need a new frame for a Taurus TCP 380. It's an unserialized part, and cost about $50, but just not enough of a priority for me to bother.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That also reminds me I need a new frame for a Taurus TCP 380. It's an unserialized part, and cost about $50, but just not enough of a priority for me to bother.
That's a good example. A range owner I befriended in WA told me that the Taurus TCP was the most rented pistol and it lasted far longer than all other small 380 pistols. Range guns obviously get a lot of use and the ranges don't maintain them like an individual would of his or her own gun. He said that the TCP would go 10k rounds with zero attention or need for repair and that none of the other 380's they rent could make that claim. I have one. It's a good design, lightweight and very small even for a 380 as I'm sure you would agree.

So the moral of the story is... As you mentioned before, Taurus can actually produce a decent, inexpensive firearm. But once you walk out of the LGS with it they don't give a shit about you or the product. Hi Point, the King of cheap guns, offers a lifetime guarantee whether you are the first or third owner. No strings attached. As a matter of principle, I would rather buy three Yeet Cannons than one Taurus.

Fair warning: You may have the same experience. The TCP was discontinued by Taurus several years ago. Save yourself some time and look for a grip frame on GB or eBay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's a good example. A range owner I befriended in WA told me that the Taurus TCP was the most rented pistol and it lasted far longer than all other small 380 pistols. Range guns obviously get a lot of use and the ranges don't maintain them like an individual would of his or her own gun. He said that the TCP would go 10k rounds with zero attention or need for repair and that none of the other 380's they rent could make that claim. I have one. It's a good design, lightweight and very small even for a 380 as I'm sure you would agree.

So the moral of the story is... As you mentioned before, Taurus can actually produce a decent, inexpensive firearm. But once you walk out of the LGS with it they don't give a shit about you or the product. Hi Point, the King of cheap guns, offers a lifetime guarantee whether you are the first or third owner. No strings attached. As a matter of principle, I would rather buy three Yeet Cannons than one Taurus.

Fair warning: You may have the same experience. The TCP was discontinued by Taurus several years ago. Save yourself some time and look for a grip frame on GB or eBay.
Taurus handgun's are just what they are a damn good gun for the money, you can own most G2's or G3's for around $300 bucks, I have a G3 that has over 5000 rds down the pipe without any failures, and it's also very accurate and comfortable to shoot, I don't know how
much longer it will keep running but when it breaks or quit functioning properly I'll just buy a new one and say money well spent, I also have some very nice Kimber's but I also paid far more for them and I'll not subject them to the same abuse as my under $300 Taurus

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
I don't know how much longer it will keep running but when it breaks or quit functioning properly I'll just buy a new one and say money well spent
I acquired a KelTec Sub 2000 in a trade ten years ago. I completely wore it out. Probably put about 30k rounds thru it and beat the Hell out of it. I sent it to Kel-Tec and they replaced it with a brand new Gen 2 Sub 2000 for $225. No FFL was involved and they paid the return shipping. The entire process end to end took less than 2 weeks. They sent me email updates when it was received, being worked on, estimated time to complete, and when it was shipped back with a tracking number. Their gunsmith called me to ask if I wanted to upgrade to the heavier bolt (it was a .40). That's customer service. From a renowned maker of inexpensive plastic guns not made to last forever. Compare that to the Taurus customer service rep who wasted two weeks of my life before admitting defeat. I could tell this person was a call center rep who knew nothing about firearms.

Cheap, disposable guns... not my thing. It makes no difference to me if someone else chooses the path of spending as little as possible. But in the spirit of frugality, logic would dictate that the most economical choice is a cheap gun that the manufacturer will fix whenever something goes wrong or wears out. As Kel-Tec and Hi-Point both do. Let the evidence show: Taurus does not.

The state rests. The defense can continue rationalizing bad customer service. My guess is the jury won't buy it. :) The argument is not about guns. It's about company policy.

BTW: When I competed, I would shoot about 1000 rounds a week. Pro pistol shooters it's more like 2000. So if I had a Taurus I'd be throwing them out every 10k rounds... just north of two months? No thanks. I have 100 year old Browning shotguns that still work and I can get parts for them. As you said, to each his own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I acquired a KelTec Sub 2000 in a trade ten years ago. I completely wore it out. Probably put about 30k rounds thru it and beat the Hell out of it. I sent it to Kel-Tec and they replaced it with a brand new Gen 2 Sub 2000 for $225. No FFL was involved and they paid the return shipping. The entire process end to end took less than 2 weeks. They sent me email updates when it was received, being worked on, estimated time to complete, and when it was shipped back with a tracking number. Their gunsmith called me to ask if I wanted to upgrade to the heavier bolt (it was a .40). That's customer service. From a renowned maker of inexpensive plastic guns not made to last forever. Compare that to the Taurus customer service rep who wasted two weeks of my life before admitting defeat. I could tell this person was a call center rep who knew nothing about firearms.

Cheap, disposable guns... not my thing. It makes no difference to me if someone else chooses the path of spending as little as possible. But in the spirit of frugality, logic would dictate that the most economical choice is a cheap gun that the manufacturer will fix whenever something goes wrong or wears out. As Kel-Tec and Hi-Point both do. Let the evidence show: Taurus does not.

The state rests. The defense can continue rationalizing bad customer service. My guess is the jury won't buy it. :) The argument is not about guns. It's about company policy.

BTW: When I competed, I would shoot about 1000 rounds a week. Pro pistol shooters it's more like 2000. So if I had a Taurus I'd be throwing them out every 10k rounds... just north of two months? No thanks. I have 100 year old Browning shotguns that still work and I can get parts for them. As you said, to each his own.
Taurus CS must have really pissed you off, I can honestly say I've never seen or heard such bitterness towards any firearm company so if I were you I wouldn't even look at a damn Taurus and slap hell out of anybody that said they owned one, ease up cowboy life is to short to spend it all dwelling on things that you can't change and others won't give a damn what you think anyway, have a great day

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Taurus CS must have really pissed you off, I can honestly say I've never seen or heard such bitterness towards any firearm company so if I were you I wouldn't even look at a damn Taurus and slap hell out of anybody that said they owned one, ease up cowboy life is to short to spend it all dwelling on things that you can't change and others won't give a damn what you think anyway, have a great day
We finally agree on something. When you throw out that Taurus, the ATF suggests it be cut into three pieces diagonally. How to Properly Destroy Firearms | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

·
Registered
3,037 Posts

I'm familiar with the TPS.
Made in the USA, not Brazil.
It's basically an LCP that's more accurate.
Holsters are even interchangeable.
Try everygunpart.com or numerich for those hard to find gun parts.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I actually own a YEET Cannon with the logo on the slide.😂
No, I won't shoot it. Paid $100 out the door.

If your LGS doesn't care about you, you really need another LGS.
Mine treats me like family.
I never pay MSRP for anything, they will order me any gun I want with a phone call, and I get better deals that I can find anywhere online.
They GAVE my wife a .22 suppressor (just had to pay for the tax stamp), and gave me 500 rounds of ammo for Christmas.
I do bribe them with BBQ ribs, smoked chicken and sausage every month or so.

The moral of my story is:
Build a relationship with the shops that you do regular business with, and you will have a much better experience.😉

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Try everygunpart.com or numerich for those hard to find gun parts.
Did that. Numrich, MGW, et al only had used. I took a shot with a part from Numrich (it only cost me eight bucks plus shipping) but it was just as worn as the one I was replacing. I didn't buy the gun from a shop so I can't complain about that. The gunsmith at my range in GA when this drama unfolded told me to throw it in the Chattahoochie. :)

For your TCP: Search results for: 'Taurus TCP'
Pink is so hard to accessorize. But you could paint your nails to match that grip frame. :).

But seriously... the $179 kit @ everygunpart has a lot of spare parts but the TCP is now a $200 gun any day of the week. I bought a similar 'kit' of gently used parts on eBay. That worked. Cost me 35-40 bucks. It might be wiser to buy a whole used gun on GB for another 20 bucks more than everygunpart is asking. Or say a prayer and give it a decent burial.

I've had good experiences overall with the local LGS's most places I've lived. Slim pickings where I live now. The closest is 30 miles. Nice people but not really skilled. No gunsmith. The next closest is 50 miles, also with no gunsmith. The best (with a resident gunsmith) is 65 miles. Huge store with a great range - but that's a long haul.

The best of the best were the shops and ranges around me in Seattle. Kind of ironic since our state and federal representatives were gun haters.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Did that. Numrich, MGW, et al only had used. I took a shot with a part from Numrich (it only cost me eight bucks plus shipping) but it was just as worn as the one I was replacing. I didn't buy the gun from a shop so I can't complain about that. The gunsmith at my range in GA when this drama unfolded told me to throw it in the Chattahoochie. :)

For your TCP: Search results for: 'Taurus TCP'
Pink is so hard to accessorize. But you could paint your nails to match that grip frame. :).

But seriously... the $179 kit @ everygunpart has a lot of spare parts but the TCP is now a $200 gun any day of the week. I bought a similar 'kit' of gently used parts on eBay. That worked. Cost me 35-40 bucks. It might be wiser to buy a whole used gun on GB for another 20 bucks more than everygunpart is asking. Or say a prayer and give it a decent burial.

I've had good experiences overall with the local LGS's most places I've lived. Slim pickings where I live now. The closest is 30 miles. Nice people but not really skilled. No gunsmith. The next closest is 50 miles, also with no gunsmith. The best (with a resident gunsmith) is 65 miles. Huge store with a great range - but that's a long haul.

The best of the best were the shops and ranges around me in Seattle. Kind of ironic since our state and federal representatives were gun haters.
That's why the TCP just sits.
It works fine, just has a bad mar on the frame where some moron dropped it.
I paid about $100 for it years ago in a 4 gun deal, so no rush. It just sits in the back of the safe. I just like derringers, and have a drawer full of them.

I am in south GA, so we get a different breed of gun shops than I found when I lived on the wrong coast.
I drive 50 miles to my LGS and it is worth every mile. I visit them weekly. Massive inventory and family owned for 3 generations.
Best shop in the state.
I am my own gunsmith for most work that doesn't require milling or tapping threads, but there are a ton of gunsmiths available down here
I shoot on family/personally owned land.
Brother in law has a range with steel out to 650 yards.
Next year I am possibly putting a short (15 yard) pistol range in my basement.😁
'Murica, fuck yeah!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts