Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
4,705 Posts
My father in law says that field stripping my Kimber ultra carry II will loosen parts up that shouldn’t be loose. Is that true or can I field strip/ clean it and not worry about parts getting loose?
Of course you can field strip it without making parts loose.

Your FIL needs to stay away from your gun.

That type of wild bull$h?+ rarely lives in a bubble, and eventually he will give you some incorrect advice that will get you hurt.

I field strip and clean every gun I own every time I shoot them, and I strip and clean my carry gun every few weeks just to keep the pocket lint out of it.
In fact, after a heavy session I detail strip my 1911s down to the frame and wash them in the sink.

Get the tool JC and Wing it advise, it will make field stripping it alot easier.
👍

· Administrator
42,016 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mullet Mike, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership. Tell us something about yourself, your hobbies, and what area you're located in.

· Registered
2,568 Posts
Thank you he just has me spray it down with cleaner but never field strip and I don’t feel like that cleans some of the parts well enough
Spraying it down with just cleaner will create more internal problems in the long run. You'll end up with powder in your firing pin channel that could impede its function. Let alone dirt and grit in the slide channels causing premature wear. Field stripping and cleaning it gives you an education on the operation of your firearm.

· Registered
16,341 Posts
My father in law says that field stripping my Kimber ultra carry II will loosen parts up that shouldn’t be loose. Is that true or can I field strip/ clean it and not worry about parts getting loose?
That's the most ridiculous statement I've heard this week! Sometimes I field strip clean and lube mine just because I don't have anything else to do!!

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Yes, not good advice he's giving you IMO!

When I had my Ultra Crimson Carry II, I field stripped and cleaned it after every trip to the range.Just spraying cleaner will get residue in places you don't want it and doing that over a long period of time will "gunk up" your internals and cause malfunctions. I used the NDZ tool when I had mine and it makes it easy peasy to break down. I did try and could field strip it with no tools but with arthritic hands.....just because I could didn't mean I should keep doing it! LOL

· Registered
3,130 Posts
Your FIL needs to stay away from your gun.
Mike, ninja's statement right there say it all. It's obvious your FIL was never in the military, nor has any real firearms experience whatsoever. I'd keep him and his advice as far away from you and your pistol as possible. But from my time in the military, reading your first post gave me this thought after reading your FIL's "advice".....

I'm still chuckling at his 'advice', as I'm sure other vets and experienced shooters here are too. This is this weeks classic example of "Misinformation"!
As the others have opined, I field strip and clean every weapon I fire once home. If cared for properly, your weapon will outlast you. IF cared for properly......

· Registered
1,933 Posts
This is the ad right next to the posts on this thread. Looks like what the FIL suggested to the OP?? LOL!
Hand Finger Thumb Nail Wood

· Registered
4,525 Posts
Technically speaking your FIL is incorrect.

That said, I think it’s fair to say that more firearms get screwed up in one way or another via taking them apart for cleaning but that’s a function of the person performing the task, not the task itself.

In some ways I am reminded about the guy who says it’s best to carry a gun w/o a chambered round. Depending on the genius carrying the gun, it might not be bad advice.

good luck

· Registered
243 Posts
My father in law says that field stripping my Kimber ultra carry II will loosen parts up that shouldn’t be loose.
He may be referring to the barrel bushing.

It is common practice in some quarters to push the slide rearward a quarter or half an inch and hold it there while rotating the barrel bushing to remove the recoil spring plug and the recoil spring. Rotating a tightly fit bushing while the pistol is in battery will loosen the barrel to bushing fit which will affect accuracy to one degree or another.

Other folks will pull the slide rearward to line up the slide stop notch in the slide with the slide stop then remove the slide stop. That is followed by removing the slide while controlling the recoil spring so it doesn't fly out. After that the recoil spring and guide rod can be removed. Then the barrel is pushed forward, the barrel bushing is rotated and removed. Same result.

If the barrel bushing is a tight fit to the slide, it will loosen over time as it is rotated in the slide. There's no way around that. Bullseye competitors are keenly aware of this. Unless you're a top ranked, national champion, Bullseye competitor I wouldn't worry about this aspect of bushing loosening. It'll never get sloppy loose.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts