Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I field stripped my Kimber Custom II and cleaned and oiled it up.
When I started to put it back together, things got a little dicey. I proceeded on and now stopped because I can't get the slide stop back into the slide hole. There seems to be a small retractable pin as a part of the the thumb safety that i can't get it to retract to allow the slide stop to put in correctly.
I have been watching a video. But the camera angle doesn't allow me to analyze what exactly was done to accomplish this.
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Is the safety on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The little pin is sticking out as I said in my post. So it sounds like the thumb safety is on.
Let me add that I pushed the thumb safety up and down and nothing happened.
Please keep in mind that this is my first 1911 and I am still learning as I write rhis.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am wondering if you are talking about the pin that blocks the where the slide stop fits into the slide. Is it the kind of rounded hole that the kind of weird looking end with a notch in it? if so then put the notch right below the pin push up and in. Sometimes it can be a bugger. To keep fron scratching the slide some put a piece of paper on the slide. Be careful not to block the whole. The pin is not part of the safety.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Make sure you have the slide stop pin installed correctly and have picked up the barrel link when you installed it. You have to push in past the pin. That’s a detent pin that keeps the slide stop from backing out on the other end is the detent for the thumb safety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
1. slip a business card or tape or something between the slide stop and the frame to prevent scratches. (known as idiot marks)
2. Install the slide stop starting just below the detent and rotate it up and in.

Google "1911 Idiot Mark" for videos of a clear example of how to install the slide stop.

Also I would suggest watching a detailed disassembly video even of you never plan on. breaking the gun down that far.
It will help you understand alot about your new gun and how it works.
1911s are pretty simple firearms. Once you watch a detailed video you'll see.

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
I think he depressed the grip safety while trying to put the slide back on the frame.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I think he depressed the grip safety while trying to put the slide back on the frame.
He said the slide stop, I think the slide went on fine he just needs to push the slide stop past the detent. Probably doesn’t want to force it but you need to snap it in.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I thought that also, but he mentioned the slide stop, so it might be the defent.

Reactions: 2sharp2

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Deja Vu

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! Got the info needed.

I actually do have a very small 'idiot scratch' I'll deal with this a little later.

Thx everyone for your help!!!
1. slip a business card or tape or something between the slide stop and the frame to prevent scratches. (known as idiot marks)
2. Install the slide stop starting just below the detent and rotate it up and in.

Google "1911 Idiot Mark" for videos of a clear example of how to install the slide stop.

Also I would suggest watching a detailed disassembly video even of you never plan on. breaking the gun down that far.
It will help you understand alot about your new gun and how it works.
1911s are pretty simple firearms. Once you watch a detailed video you'll see.
My challenge is to find a better video than what I was watching.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, not yet! I need to find a better video and get the pistol back together. It is partially put back together.
Its been a big learning experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally got my pistol back together. Taking this pistol apart and putting it back together is comparable to the same process as my AR-15.
Its not real hard, but there are nuances and it will take more practice for me to get comfortable.

Thx again!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sigh....all American kids are busy with phones and social media. Clown society. We're doomed. lol

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I finally got my pistol back together. Taking this pistol apart and putting it back together is comparable to the same process as my AR-15.
Its not real hard, but there are nuances and it will take more practice for me to get comfortable.

Thx again!!
It's easier than an AR15.
Less detents to go flying, only 1 roll pin, and less tools required.
Installing an AR hammer is like putting a cat into a bathtub.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts