Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon all, New to Forum, Just bought my wife a Micro 9mm First Kimber to own , but not to shoot! took home cleaned and lubed! Shot first time 3 light strikes no fire! Re cocked like 4 times round went off, Have used my reloads Winchester Primers ,Federal ammo ,Tried again Saturday first mag shoot 2 then want go off ,fought with it through 12 rounds ,we stopped ,took apart looked over it ,I will call Kimber Monday! I'm a Cowboy Action Shooter ,I reload ! Alot! So the primers that went off hardly have a mark very light hits! Its the gun! Sure big disappointment ,but mechanical so you know what happens? LOL ,Will advise on out come!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon...
Sorry to hear about the little Kimber... I have come to the realization that the micro has issues at the beginning of its life out of the box.... I have had mine and it took some rounds to finally get it running smooth... someone here will tell you to try this... all’s I can say is make a call.. try some factory ammo..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome from oregon, sorry to hear about your troubles, Another new kimber that that the good folks in this forum will tell you it needs a painfully long break in.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Also needs an extremely careful cleaning. Firing pin is trivial to remove. Remove slide, the firing plate slides out, and the firing pin/spring drop right out. Clean the pin, spring, and firing pin hole. The stock mainspring is pretty stiff, so light strikes are almost impossible. Unless the pin is sticky due to lube/grease.

I'd bet if you clean it thoroughly, the problem will go away. Also helps to clean the whole gun with the same due diligence.

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
Was she rapid firing....is the trigger all the way back after first shot?

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
JakeCutter, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

Can't hurt to clean it again but IMO more importantly just for giggles try some factory ammo, just to confirm what's going on.

PLUS, what Pantera Mike said below I wanted to reference it but couldn't remember who's post it was?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine had light strikes with reloads, and somebody here suggested I had applied excessive crimp which was allowing the case to not headspace on the mouth properly and thus slide forward when the firing pin struck the primer. I switched to factory ammo and reduced the crimp on my reloads and apparently that was the cause as I’ve had zero light strikes since then.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Jake try running some factory ammo see if it happens. my Micro does not like reloads. the rounds that won't fire through my Micro all fire though my Xds 9mm with no problem. welcome to the forum I hope you get it figured out quickly...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
...had issues with my Kimber Micro 9 out of the box... ...I had to use factory loads 124 grain FMJ for breakin... ...reloads didn't work...

...I shoot SASS as well and reload a lot... ...do the suggestions listed above...

...clean thoroughly...
...sling shot load the first round of each magazine during breakin - 400+ rounds
...shoot it with the slide wet
...firm grip no limp wrist
...124 grain FMJ to breakin
...tap the magazine prior to using to seat the rounds
...I had to watch my right thumb as it would try to ride up on the lower portion of the slide which slowed the recoil sequence causing FTE and FTF issues...
...mine is a great shooter after I worked thru all my issues...

·
Registered
208 Posts
BTW for "factory ammo" don't include WWB in the list. I have two boxes that are WAY over-crimped. Gun still fires most of the time, but barely extracts any as the cases go too deep for the extractor to grab...

Good ammo is always the first prerequisite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Afternoon all, New to Forum, Just bought my wife a Micro 9mm First Kimber to own , but not to shoot! took home cleaned and lubed! Shot first time 3 light strikes no fire! Re cocked like 4 times round went off, Have used my reloads Winchester Primers ,Federal ammo ,Tried again Saturday first mag shoot 2 then want go off ,fought with it through 12 rounds ,we stopped ,took apart looked over it ,I will call Kimber Monday! I'm a Cowboy Action Shooter ,I reload ! Alot! So the primers that went off hardly have a mark very light hits! Its the gun! Sure big disappointment ,but mechanical so you know what happens? LOL ,Will advise on out come!
I had the same problem with my Micro 9. I changed out the firing pin spring and the firing pin for a longer one. No problem after that. These were non Kimber parts but I can't remember where I got them. I'm sure OEM part with the receipt for the replacement are in the box. I'll and see and pass it on to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My vote is the reloads. We have 2 micro 9mm and neither will shoot reloads. I sent one back to kimber. They replaced the frame and firing pub assembly. It wasn't the issue. I love the weapon so I just buy factory loads and it shoots well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Howdy , Its was cleaned before i shot it , But Talked to Kimber ,have sent back to them! So far Great Service ,very friendly ! Will let ya know how it turns out! Jake

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good Morning, I have received my micro 9 back from Kimber yesterday, was less than two weeks shipping also ,no problems ,customer service excellent ! I would love to say took out of box shoot 100 rounds all ok , but was late and raining last night and haven't tried it yet will post what was done tonight! THIF Jake

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good Afternoon ,been awhile but did finally take the micro 9 out and shoot her ,seems after Kimber action work done and factory ammo used no issues fired every time till i tried the reloads i had! Had to cock it 3 times on 2 rounds ,could be my reloads? But this girl holds a group at 75 yards (just Kidding)! at 10 yards bout a 4" group so happy about that! I did not shoot 100 rounds at a piece of paper was only 50 LOL Thanks for all the information! Jake

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Nice!
This seems to be the same story with alot of Micros.
Also once broken in, everyone seems to LOVE it.
They seem to get better and better, the more you shoot them.
Enjoy your Kimber.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Hey, Jake. Glad the problem is essentially resolved. 9mm headspaces on the case mouth, so if the cases are short, or crimped in a way that results in inconsistent headspacing, then problems might arise. Remove the barrel, and drop in each type of ammo. See if the cartridge sits flush with the barrel hood or sits low. I bet you'll find a difference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My M9 developed light strikes within the first few hundred rounds and was exactly as BobHyatt (in reply #4) mentioned. The FP hole in the breech had a very sharp edge and would shave bits from the primers which worked their way into the FP channel. Lightly de-burring that sharp edge prevented the problem from recurring.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My M9 developed light strikes within the first few hundred rounds and was exactly as BobHyatt (in reply #4) mentioned. The FP hole in the breech had a very sharp edge and would shave bits from the primers which worked their way into the FP channel. Lightly de-burring that sharp edge prevented the problem from recurring.
That is a falacy. The round on ejection doesn't slide over the breech face it is kicked strait out by the ejector pin. It does slide on the breech face as it is being stripped out of the magazine. What you are seeing is shavings from the case rim as it catches on the firing pin hole. A simple deburr tool will remove the sharp edge of the firing pin hole. Don't over do it. Just get the sharp edge off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts