Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is a falacy. The round on ejection doesn't slide over the breech face it is kicked strait out by the ejector pin. It does slide on the breech face as it is being stripped out of the magazine. What you are seeing is shavings from the case rim as it catches on the firing pin hole. A simple deburr tool will remove the sharp edge of the firing pin hole. Don't over do it. Just get the sharp edge off.

Um, not exactly correct. With a blow-back operated pistol your statement applies, however the Micro 9 is a locked breech design.

With a LB design, the round remains in contact with breech face while the barrel is moving downward during unlock while dragging the round with it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Um, not exactly correct. With a blow-back operated pistol your statement applies, however the Micro 9 is a locked breech design.

With a LB design, the round remains in contact with breech face while the barrel is moving downward during unlock while dragging the round with it.
Yes but that movement would be flat to flat and unless there is an issue with primer blow back from a hot round there would be nothing that should shave off from that motion. But when round is being extracted from the magazine the round is tilted slightly allowing the rim of round to catch on firing pin hole and shave a little off, if there is a sharp edge around firing pin hole. If one is getting shavings of brass and that wasn't what was happening then that person has an issue with hot rounds and flow back into firing pin hole. If it doesn't protrude into opening nothing can be shaved off.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Good Afternoon ,been awhile but did finally take the micro 9 out and shoot her ,seems after Kimber action work done and factory ammo used no issues fired every time till i tried the reloads i had! Had to cock it 3 times on 2 rounds ,could be my reloads? But this girl holds a group at 75 yards (just Kidding)! at 10 yards bout a 4" group so happy about that! I did not shoot 100 rounds at a piece of paper was only 50 LOL Thanks for all the information! Jake
What type of primer did you use in your handloads? The softest and most reliable for ignition are the Federal primers. CCI and Remington run on the hard side with Winchester somewhere in the middle. But a good modern firearm should ignite all of them if setup correctly. Foreign primers are known to cause some problems because of hardness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
What type of primer did you use in your handloads? The softest and most reliable for ignition are the Federal primers. CCI and Remington run on the hard side with Winchester somewhere in the middle. But a good modern firearm should ignite all of them if setup correctly. Foreign primers are known to cause some problems because of hardness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have heard of people due to scarcity of pistol primer substituting rifle primers in their handloads which are vastly harder than pistol ones.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good Afternoon ,been awhile but did finally take the micro 9 out and shoot her ,seems after Kimber action work done and factory ammo used no issues fired every time till i tried the reloads i had! Had to cock it 3 times on 2 rounds ,could be my reloads? But this girl holds a group at 75 yards (just Kidding)! at 10 yards bout a 4" group so happy about that! I did not shoot 100 rounds at a piece of paper was only 50 LOL Thanks for all the information! Jake
Guess I “accidentally” broke my micro 9 two tone in correctly, as I wasn’t reloading for 9mm at the time I acquired it! First 100 or 150 rds were factory ammo. Been hand loading for it ever since, but only put 1/2 turn crimp on em with a Lee factory crimp die. Have had no issues! I too load a lot of cast bullets for 45 Colt revolvers and had to adjust my “mindset” on the crimp as much as the dies!!!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Good Afternoon all, New to Forum, Just bought my wife a Micro 9mm First Kimber to own , but not to shoot! took home cleaned and lubed! Shot first time 3 light strikes no fire! Re cocked like 4 times round went off, Have used my reloads Winchester Primers ,Federal ammo ,Tried again Saturday first mag shoot 2 then want go off ,fought with it through 12 rounds ,we stopped ,took apart looked over it ,I will call Kimber Monday! I'm a Cowboy Action Shooter ,I reload ! Alot! So the primers that went off hardly have a mark very light hits! Its the gun! Sure big disappointment ,but mechanical so you know what happens? LOL ,Will advise on out come!
good afternoon... ...welcome to the forum from north Alabama just shy of the Tennessee line...
...regarding the Kimber Micro 9mm: slingshot load the 1st round; firm grip, be conscious of thumb placement (my right thumb has a tendency to move to the lower protion of the slide which slows the recoil sequence causing FTE & FTF issues, I used 124 grain FMJ store bought for breakin & no reloads (read I shoot Cowboy Action as well-no mouse fart loads/warthog Holy Black Powder)....
...and calling the Kimber folks is the right thing to do....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clean out the firing pin bore. You will find brass shavings packing up in the hole. Some Kimbers have a sharp hole in the breach face and shave brass every shot. Chamfer the breach hole lighly and after cleaning it, problem will stop.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts