Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took the KHX out for a spin today.

This is the full size, with no rail, optics ready .45acp.
I added the Holosun 407c X2 optic.

I ran 150 rounds of FMJ (cheap stuff from Federal, PMC, WWB) and couple mags of Remington UMC JHP to test function.

When I first got the gun, I field stripped it and wiped it down, and oiled it then went to work.

First impressions:
The odd hexagon cuts on the slide are very "grippy", and make a very good purchase for racking the slide. They work alot better than they look.
The "golf ball" stippling on the front strap is very comfortable and surprised me as well.
Very grippy.
Slide/Frame fit is very tight, and the edges and rear are nicely blended.
The bushing is very tight, and perfectly fitted to the slide and barrel.
Tall suppressor height sights are easy to use through the optic in case of failure.
4lb trigger on the gauge, with a clean break and short reset. Zero vertical wiggle on the excellent trigger fitment ( vertical wiggle is a pet peeve of mine regarding 1911s).
It's not a Dan Wesson, but it's the best feeling 1911 I have shot for the money.

At the range:
I zero'd the optic at 25 yards and was able to shoot a ragged hole with crappy ammo.
I am more than impressed with the accuracy.
It fed every round smoothly, and was absolutely flawless with FMJ.
Then I loaded up the cheap JHPs and ran 3 mags with the same results.
Flawless.
(I popped two rounds of the Remington green box UMC JHP into some jugs of water, and got about 20 inches of penetration, with fantastic expansion. I was also impressed enough to buy more for hogs. Not bad for cheap JHP)

Overall, the KHX ran as good as any 1911 I have ever shot, and accuracy is way better than I could exploit.
Fit and finish are the best I have seen on a Kimber and it's worth the ticket for this ride.
I am more than satisfied.

In a few weeks my BIL will be back in town.
he is a much better shot than I am, and I'll put it through the ringer with him behind the trigger and some quality ammo.

Wood Hunting knife Knife Grass Font

I guess I'm just lucky, as both my Kimber 1911s run like sewing machines, and eat everything I have fed them.
I still need to run the KHX a little more, but it's an impressive gun so far.

· Registered
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remington green box UMC 230g jhp after shooting through appx 20 inches of water jugs.
This is cheap ass ammo, designed for targets.

After seeing the penetration and expansion I would absolutely use this to shoot wild hogs.
Wood Amber Jewellery Ring Body jewelry

Now I want a 45 acp 16 inch barrel for my TNW.
😁

· Registered
2,562 Posts
...used to live in East Tennessee outside Maryville out toward the Chilowee Mountain.... backs up to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park... some of my neighbors would take their dogs, pistols, and hunting knives and go hog hunting outside the park... ...the sport was to let the dogs get a hog down and then cut its throat with their hunting knives... ...no sport in shooting the hog (unless it attacked yourownself) and I agree that that round would be good for using on hogs...

· Registered
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...used to live in East Tennessee outside Maryville out toward the Chilowee Mountain.... backs up to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park... some of my neighbors would take their dogs, pistols, and hunting knives and go hog hunting outside the park... ...the sport was to let the dogs get a hog down and then cut its throat with their hunting knives... ...no sport in shooting the hog (unless it attacked yourownself) and I agree that that round would be good for using on hogs...
Sport?
Wild feral hogs are a destructive invasive pest that destroys land, farms and infrastructure.
We shoot them to cull and exterminate them.
Most of the time we leave them where they fall.

"Buzzards gotta eat. Same as the worm."- Josey Wales.😁

Here you can stop and pop one on the side of the road and get a thank you from Game and Fish.

Back many moons ago when I was a kid, we would run dogs to catch the smaller hogs, bring them home, castrate them, and fatten them up for eating.

· Registered
9,695 Posts
Remington green box UMC 230g jhp after shooting through appx 20 inches of water jugs.

After seeing the penetration and expansion I would absolutely use this to shoot wild hogs. View attachment 135012

😁
I’ve always had good results from Remington ammo. Handgun, rifle and shotgun, they all have been good for me.

· Premium Member
238 Posts
Sport?
Wild feral hogs are a destructive invasive pest that destroys land, farms and infrastructure.
We shoot them to cull and exterminate them.
Most of the time we leave them where they fall.
@bad ninja - I've got a short video of "Texas Hog Hunting" that I believe you'll like. I've
got it in the form of an email & don't know how else to load it. (NOT a computer guru at all)
If you want to send me your email address, I'll forward it to you. If you do it will come from:
[email protected]
Take care friend!

BCD 45
~Jim D.

· Registered
22 Posts
So I took the KHX out for a spin today.

This is the full size, with no rail, optics ready .45acp.
I added the Holosun 407c X2 optic.

I ran 150 rounds of FMJ (cheap stuff from Federal, PMC, WWB) and couple mags of Remington UMC JHP to test function.

When I first got the gun, I field stripped it and wiped it down, and oiled it then went to work.

First impressions:
The odd hexagon cuts on the slide are very "grippy", and make a very good purchase for racking the slide. They work alot better than they look.
The "golf ball" stippling on the front strap is very comfortable and surprised me as well.
Very grippy.
Slide/Frame fit is very tight, and the edges and rear are nicely blended.
The bushing is very tight, and perfectly fitted to the slide and barrel.
Tall suppressor height sights are easy to use through the optic in case of failure.
4lb trigger on the gauge, with a clean break and short reset. Zero vertical wiggle on the excellent trigger fitment ( vertical wiggle is a pet peeve of mine regarding 1911s).
It's not a Dan Wesson, but it's the best feeling 1911 I have shot for the money.

At the range:
I zero'd the optic at 25 yards and was able to shoot a ragged hole with crappy ammo.
I am more than impressed with the accuracy.
It fed every round smoothly, and was absolutely flawless with FMJ.
Then I loaded up the cheap JHPs and ran 3 mags with the same results.
Flawless.
(I popped two rounds of the Remington green box UMC JHP into some jugs of water, and got about 20 inches of penetration, with fantastic expansion. I was also impressed enough to buy more for hogs. Not bad for cheap JHP)

Overall, the KHX ran as good as any 1911 I have ever shot, and accuracy is way better than I could exploit.
Fit and finish are the best I have seen on a Kimber and it's worth the ticket for this ride.
I am more than satisfied.

In a few weeks my BIL will be back in town.
he is a much better shot than I am, and I'll put it through the ringer with him behind the trigger and some quality ammo.

View attachment 134967

I guess I'm just lucky, as both my Kimber 1911s run like sewing machines, and eat everything I have fed them.
I still need to run the KHX a little more, but it's an impressive gun so far.
Nice informative review. Thinking I’ll look into this one, thx,,

· Registered
1,358 Posts

After seeing the penetration and expansion I would absolutely use this to shoot wild hogs. View attachment 135012

😁
If that don’t get it done, might as well stay home!!! Good info! Thanks buddy!

· Registered
50 Posts
Nice pistol and nice range report.

As far as sport with feral hogs, I’m not going after some squiggly mean ass feral hog with a freekin knife, and give the sumbich a chance to get me or my dogs.

Back in the 90s some friends and I had feral hog permits from fish and wildlife and parks to keep them from tearing up the grounds and scaring the heck out of people on the trails. Herds of mixed half breed hogs running rampant. They had zero fear of human beings and would invade campsites and charge at people.

We had to trap them in the park and every weekend we’d end up with more than we could clean and freeze. 22 pistol to the head, take the shoats to the house to fatten. None of the shelters wanted the hogs so we’d spread them around away from the trails and leave them for the bears. In the management area outside hunting season we’d bust em with whatever and leave them right there.

Dam a feral, wild boar/pig mix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts