Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I’m a new 1911 owner as of yesterday. For years I carried and trained with a Glock 19. For the past few months I have been thinking about switching from 9mm to .45 acp and I really didn’t want to move to another striker fired option. A friend of mine who shoots IDPA let me try a couple of his 1911’s and I was hooked. I researched a lot of 1911 manufacturers and determined that the high end custom 1911’s were a little out of my price range and I didn’t want a low cost import. Kimber seemed to be a good quality US made option at a reasonable price. So yesterday I bought my first Kimber. Raptor Pro II at my local gun shop. I plan to start training with it immediately and over the next couple months of shooting and training, switch out my G19 daily carry for this Kimber. Looking forward to a new chapter in my shooting skills development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
38,044 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Dimondale, Mi. The Raptor series is one of the forums favorites, being new to 1911's I'd suggest you read your owners manual. Clean and lube the gun before your first range visit and stick with FMJ ammo until the gun is broken in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have made a really good choice.
I have recently bought my first Kimber as well. A Stainless LW.
I have a friend that has 3 Kimber pistols, and he has used one for his duty weapon. He has since retired, but still uses one of his Kimber pistols as his EDC. He swears by Kimber, and rightfully so, since the he used as his duty weapon got him out of a tight spot when he was s police officer.
I have had other lower end 1911's, and am quite familiar with the platform, but when I picked mine up and held it, boy! Did it ever feel nice?!? I could tell it was quality right away!
My dad, who is in his late 70's, has his Colt 1911 he put together, and my Kimber is as nice, if not better than his Colt!
Enjoy your masterpiece! It will serve you well.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
Nice Raptor.
Go big or go home!

Kimber 1911s are extremely nice guns for the price.
My Kimber Ultra is better made than any Colt I've ever held, and has never had a sigle hiccup.

Run a few hundred rounds through it before you CCW, for added peace of mind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
Nice Raptor.
Go big or go home!

Kimber 1911s are extremely nice guns for the price.
My Kimber Ultra is better made than any Colt I've ever held, and has never had a sigle hiccup.

Run a few hundred rounds through it before you CCW, for added peace of mind.
"for the price"..Thats kinda like saying a Girl is hot "for her age".... Not usually taken as a complement.. lol. I think they are nice guns period.. Just picking on you....;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois. Now that you have your 1st Kimber, your next lesson will be that you cannot have just one. Welcome to the slippery slope.
I bought my first SS LW in Jan 2021 since then I bought a Procarry 2 & just a few days ago I added a micro Rapide all 9 mm I’m hooked on Kimber, they all perform without issue. Kimber is my drug habit.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
"for the price"..Thats kinda like saying a Girl is hot "for her age".... Not usually taken as a complement.. lol. I think they are nice guns period.. Just picking on you....;)
I love my Kimber...lol.
I think paid around $750 for my Ultra Carry II Stainless in .45acp less than a year ago.
Brand new.
It's the nicest 1911 anywhere for That price.

Nighthawk and Wilson Combat make really nice 1911s, but they reflect it in their price.
Their upper end models are superb but they are twice the price of even the high end Kimbers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I love my Kimber...lol.
I think paid around $750 for my Ultra Carry II Stainless in .45acp less than a year ago.
Brand new.

Nighthawk and Wilson Combat make really nice 1911s, but they reflect it in their price.
Their upper end models are superb but they are twice the price of even the high end Kimbers.
I know..i was just messin with you.. A Nighthawk President is my "if i ever win the lotto"..gun So i drool over the high end stuff too...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello all. I’m a new 1911 owner as of yesterday. For years I carried and trained with a Glock 19. For the past few months I have been thinking about switching from 9mm to .45 acp and I really didn’t want to move to another striker fired option. A friend of mine who shoots IDPA let me try a couple of his 1911’s and I was hooked. I researched a lot of 1911 manufacturers and determined that the high end custom 1911’s were a little out of my price range and I didn’t want a low cost import. Kimber seemed to be a good quality US made option at a reasonable price. So yesterday I bought my first Kimber. Raptor Pro II at my local gun shop. I plan to start training with it immediately and over the next couple months of shooting and training, switch out my G19 daily carry for this Kimber. Looking forward to a new chapter in my shooting skills development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet lookin shooter! Welcome from VA! Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello all. I’m a new 1911 owner as of yesterday. For years I carried and trained with a Glock 19.
You'll be pleasantly surprised by the ergonomics and natural pointing characteristics of the 1911.

Unlike your Glock don't be afraid to use lots of oil on your 1911 especially for the "break in" period.

I encourage you to learn about the inner workings of your 1911 by doing a complete detailed disassembly when the spirit moves you: New member and first time 1911 owner

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
Swkohnle08, the Raptor line in Stainless or Blued are some of the most popular in the Kimber 1911 family, your Raptor Pro will serve you well. I went with all three sizes of the Stainless Raptor's, have been happy with each one. Paid 850 previously loved for my Pro back in the good old days.
Raptor Pro.jpg

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
I love my Kimber...lol.
Brand new.

In the good old days before covid, shopping around and with a little luck found some below cost Wilson's, they are very nice, cost more but worth it IMO. WC CQB Compacts .45 and 9mm. The CQB 45 was $2100.
I love my old Colt series 70 but all my Kimbers are more accurate and the Wilson's are better than all of them...
CQB's 9mm and .45.jpg

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have six weapons designated for personal carry and the one I trust the most is my Kimber Pro Carry II. Runner up is the Evo which I've never had an issue with either but it doesn't have near the round count the Pro Carry does.

Two of the other four are Dan Wessons if that gives you any idea of how great a gun my Kimber has been. OP you shopped and chose well.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
In the good old days before covid, shopping around and with a little luck found some below cost Wilson's, they are very nice, cost more but worth it IMO. WC CQB Compacts .45 and 9mm. The CQB 45 was $2100.
I love my old Colt series 70 but all my Kimbers are more accurate and the Wilson's are better than all of them... View attachment 125974
You have an incredible collection, sir.

Reactions: 2sharp2

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
You have an incredible collection, sir.
Thanks bad ninja. Like most people I just buy what I like.
CQB Compact .45acp.jpeg
I didn't have a pic of the trio of WC's but also have this Blued CQB Compact in .45, thought you might like it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts