Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new black Micro 9 Tuesday, disassembled cleaned and lubed it good. I did notice a lot of shavings in the slide and both the firing pin & extractor slot were full of crud! Lubed it up good and took it to the range today and ran 165 rounds of reloads & factory ammo through it.

I was shooting 147 gr, 135 gr 125 gr and 125 ge Lead round nose through it with pretty good success until I tried factory Remington 115 grhp ammo. Serious FTE! It happen on occasion with the reloads but the factory stuff was the worst. The empty case stuck in the chamber and the extractor jumped right over the rim.

I did have a cleaning kit and lube so about 1/2 way through my range session I brushed the barrel and chamber and lubed it up. I was running it wet.

Could a simple extractor adjustment cure this, and is the method of adjustment the same as a 1911? I would assume so.

I was kida disappointed because I wanted to stare carrying this but not yet!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Sorry for the disappointment.....I'd be a bit bummed too.

Any new pistol should function with any factory ammo, so I'd consider sending it back to the mothership for evaluation/repair. The Kimber CS has proven to be very good, and as this is a brand new gun, they'll sort it out for you right away from my previous experience. Call and get your RMA, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I might have fixed my problem! Stripped it for cleaning ,took firing pin & extractor out to clean their channels. When I was putting it back together the extractor slid clear through the breechface! There was NO tension on it at all. I assembled it as is and slipped a cartridge under it and it wouldn't hold it at all. I gave it a little bend and now it will grip a cartridge. Now for another try.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, I might have fixed my problem! Stripped it for cleaning ,took firing pin & extractor out to clean their channels. When I was putting it back together the extractor slid clear through the breechface! There was NO tension on it at all. I assembled it as is and slipped a cartridge under it and it wouldn't hold it at all. I gave it a little bend and now it will grip a cartridge. Now for another try.
Hopefully that'll correct the problem. If it does take a trip to the mothership to get it rectified, I don't think I'd mention I ran reloads thru it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Kimber states in owners manual USA made ammo. Definitely no reloads. I hear people do use reloads with no issues. Me personally would only use factory ammo. I have a LWSS, procarry 2 & micro black ice & they all run like champs, if u send it back to kimber don’t mention reloads.

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
One of the bad things about sending your gun back to mother is being without it. One of the great things is that they will go through it with a fine tooth comb and touch up stuff you never thought needed fixing.

·
Registered
235 Posts
One of the bad things about sending your gun back to mother is being without it. One of the great things is that they will go through it with a fine tooth comb and touch up stuff you never thought needed fixing.
That's great customer service!! The sad part of it is that it didn't come that way to begin with. I own quite a few Ruger's. Their CS is also exemplary, but alas, the same as with most mass production manufacturers it has become a sign of the times that a return trip is in order for a large percentage of firearms.

Reactions: Byrd

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What reloads? For the range I only shoot reloads! I do carry factory ammo though as reloads can get you into trouble if used defensively. I do verify that my factory ammo runs in my gun before I carry it,

In this case my reloads worked better than factory...go figure!

Since the extractor had zero tension on it my guess is that was the problem leaving cases in the chamber. Now with some tension I'm "sure" it'll run better. I'll probably have to remove it again and put a slight bevel on the bottom of the extractor to allow it to slip over the case rim easier, at least that's been my experience with this type of extractor in 19ll's. Another range trip is in order!

·
Registered
235 Posts
What reloads? For the range I only shoot reloads! I do carry factory ammo though as reloads can get you into trouble if used defensively. I do verify that my factory ammo runs in my gun before I carry it,

In this case my reloads worked better than factory...go figure!

Since the extractor had zero tension on it my guess is that was the problem leaving cases in the chamber. Now with some tension I'm "sure" it'll run better. I'll probably have to remove it again and put a slight bevel on the bottom of the extractor to allow it to slip over the case rim easier, at least that's been my experience with this type of extractor in 19ll's. Another range trip is in order!
Looking forward to a favorable range report.

Reactions: Byrd

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I do carry factory ammo though as reloads can get you into trouble if used defensively.
This is not true
Reloads have never been a factor in a legitimate self defense shooting.

This is bad info from an old incorrect article and was stated by Mas Ayoob.
It's bullshit.
Either your use of deadly force is justified or it isn't.

If justified, your choice of ammo wont present an issue in your being charge or convicted.

Mas Ayoob was a cop, not a lawyer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is not true
Reloads have never been a factor in a legitimate self defense shooting.

This is bad info from an old incorrect article and was stated by Mas Ayoob.
It's bullshit.
Either your use of deadly force is justified or it isn't.

If justified, your choice of ammo wont present an issue in your being charge or convicted.

Mas Ayoob was a cop, not a lawyer.

Exactly!!!!

To many parrots on gun forums spewing the BS about using reloads will get you labeled as the perp. I reload for every one of my EDCs and backups, 380, 9mm and 40S&W. My answer to any greazy Lawyer is that I reload to use the most accurate defense round, why?, so my bullets have the least chance of missing their intended target and harming an innocent bystander.

As for the OP. Sounds the extractor tension will cure your problem. However, if it doesn't, you may need a chamber polishing or a finish ream as Kimber is known for using their tooling when it's well past its usable life.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Just keep extra of the Defence ammo you reload for Balistic testing. That way they can’t say he was 10 feet away not 2 feet away because of powder residue. If you using a quick powder there might not be any residue at 2 feet. Just keep some on hand for testing just in case. Other than that Taylor it to match your practice ammo and you’ll know where it’s going to hit. I carry handloads in my 9mm’s using 124 grain XTP bullets. My practice loads are 124 xtreme bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts