Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine most of you have seen this announcement by our owners... Upcoming Evaluation for a New Platform Update. If not, I hot linked it, just click on it to read it.

I'm not sure what it means and didn't really give it a second thought... until this morning. I've been a member of this forum for 7 1/2 years, I've made over 37,000 posts and never have I ever received an error message like this.

The following errors occurred with your submission:
Your post contains inappropriate content.
Please remove the link and submit again.

The post was about the way big companies are buying local news stations and scripting what they are reporting.

Is the content of our posts now being monitored and censored? I don't know, hopefully not but if it is......

·
Registered
653 Posts
There is a new format floating around that several other forums have adopted, with mixed reviews. I'm sure many of you have seen it. The biggest objections have been to the format itself -- ease of navigation, etc. but not regarding content censorship. Guess we will see how this plays out.

I am also one of the 2013 joiners, and this has been an excellent forum experience so far -- I would hate to see it change. Carry on!

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Frankly, I'm surprised this didn't happen much earlier. vBulletin 3.x, the software that's running Kimbertalk, was abandoned in 2017. For quite some time it hasn't run on the latest versions of PHP (what the servers are running). It has vulnerabilities to hackers that have been exploited for years.

If you don't understand all that mumbo jumbo, it's kind of like running a Palm Pilot when everyone else is rocking an iPhone 12.

VerticalScope (owner of Kimbertalk and a bazillion other forums) has been changing all their forums to XenForo for quite a while. I participate to some degree in about half a dozen of these forums.

XenForo was created by the same team who created vBulletin. At first I didn't like VerticalScope's implementations and stopped participating in those forums. Then I figured out how to do what I've always been doing, and it's been good ever since.

So rest assured, the first time you log in after the change, it will look stupid and you'll hate it. But pretty quickly you'll see that everything is the same as before, maybe even better.

·
Registered
13,719 Posts
I HATE change! I read the Admin post last week or whenever it was and I didn't understand exactly what was going to change. I have seen other forums make "improvements" to software with negative results. Over on 1911Addicts they removed the good and helpful seller rating system that each member had so you couldn't judge if a member was trustworthy.

My days on KT may be almost over or at the very least my amount of time online will be much less.

I wish the powers that be would leave shit alone. I like it the way things are. I also know they don't care what we think or want in our Kimber Talk family.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
VerticalScope has been converting their forums to the new XenForo software so I'm sure that's what they're doing here at KT.

The new format is great, and ease of use is even better. Poor Tourist really missed out. Post a pic by simply dragging it from anywhere on your computer and dropping into your post. No thumbnails or uploading or any of that crap... just drag and drop for full size hi-def pics in your post. It's so easy you won't believe it.

Posting and editing is super easy, and it saves your work in a post before clicking the Send button so you won't lose it by accident. You can customize the forum to view only the sections you want to look at or the entire forum. You'll can set Alerts for replies in threads you created, 'Likes' on your posts, or new posts in your Followed sections... whatever you prefer, or not. There's tons of other things you can do in Settings to make the forum what you want... or leave everything on default settings. Whatever ya want.

There are no content restrictions that I have seen beyond whatever forum management decides. Links are easy to post and display much better, including full format YouTube vids. No idea what Chuck experienced.

The folks who don't like it are those who just don't like change. They're the guys who still have a 1980s VCR player in the living room flashing 12:00:00 for the past 40 years. :D

Looking forward to the new format here at KT.

·
Super Moderator
37,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not against new and improved or making things easier, I look forward to that. What concerns me is the forum software is telling me that what I'm trying to post contains inappropriate content. I'm not talking about inappropriate language or offensive remarks. I'm talking about media controlling what we can say or stopping us from expressing our feelings about something that they disagree with.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not against new and improved or making things easier, I look forward to that. What concerns me is the forum software is telling me that what I'm trying to post contains inappropriate content. I'm not talking about inappropriate language or offensive remarks. I'm talking about media controlling what we can say or stopping us from expressing our feelings about something that they disagree with.
Exactly!

I'm not against Forum updates and formatting...but this sounds like that plus censorship.

I've seen similar happen at other sites like the AR15.com site where the hosting company told them to start censoring or find another home....so they found another home. Some sites may not have the luxury of finding a new home to host on.

If you host on Amazon, GoDaddy...etc....have all adopted a zero tolerance regarding anti-Liberal Government language or Pro-Trump language stating it promoted violence :cool:

There is an attack on Conservative and Gun Owner Free Speech...it is just a matter of time I'm afraid...

·
Super Moderator
37,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The whole intent of this thread was just to make others aware of something I ran into today. I'm not condoning or condemning anything at this time, I'm all for waiting to see where it goes.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I not one who cares for change either. But I love this forum an the friends that we all communicate with here. Hope for the best, that we can continue to post and talk together after the change.
My feelings also. I like it here.

Being a dinosaur now, I hate change also, and like "things the way they used to be". But we're in a changing world, and not for the better I fear. This spread of what to me appears as communism seems to be creeping into every aspect of our lives with limiting what used to be free speech. Joebama and the Camelho seemed to have descended a black curtain already on "the media"......and to think I thought it could not possibly get any worse.

I'll continue to be on this forum, but with a watchful eye, and if it appears "they" are taking control, I along with others will bail for friendlier environs..... IF there's any to be found...... :cool:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Gonna look and feel the same to me being I only use Tapatalk on my IPhone or IPad to surf the forums. We will have to wait and see if there are any infringements with it. Hopefully not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I'm a longtime member of another firearms forum and have never had an issue until recently (around election time) when I was posting articles about the election. I had my abilities severely limited without being directly told to stop whatever I was doing. The political forum has been shut down until further notice which doesn't really bother me. I PM'd the site owner and asked why so severe restrictions with no real warning and penalties that were extremely restrictive and he agreed and gave me back most of my ability that was taken away. I was getting ready to get my point across before I left but didn't have to.

I believe it was a particular moderator who has a hair trigger temper and and really itchy trigger finger and that would explain it. I'm pretty milk toast and usually read a post at least once before I post .....plus a lot of them I just delete them because the post really isn't needed.

I have pointed out that a lot of the individuals who hate a certain ex-POTUS and are more important members than I own full auto guns and other exotics that will be the easiest pickings when they go to grab guns because , if legal, these items have paperwork, owner ID and address where they are stored as well as owner fingerprints AND NO ONE NEEDS A FULL AUTO.....TRUE WEAPON OF WAR! LOL! And most "touchy feelies" and even a few folks I know who own guns aren't even aware that full autos can be legal with the proper tax stamp! So, any rate pointing out to them that they will be prime targets when the gun grabbing starts and I believe it will! I'll take the ex POTUS over the harris/obama/slo jo presidency! I'll laugh my ass off if I'm correct where this is going and I wouldn't want to count on anyone in DC (or even the not-so-supreme court) backing us up on all this progressive sh*t!

Your opinion may vary but we're in a new era and the cancel culture, assault on our rights and media censorship will be taken to a higher level than you ever thought possible......I took my flag down the day after slo jo was sworn in! My country is gone as far as I can see!

I'll keep some hope alive but very little! Nothing I see give me much

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
They've just proposed a bill to make Ohio a "2nd Amendment Sanctuary State". That would be good and a surprise that any of our reps would even propose it! Now, if we can get the Governor to sign it if it makes it to his desk!!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Sorry if I'm wrong here but if liberals' don't want to hear your opinion they just eliminate you . I used to have a Parlor app. and Boom it's gone, but like I said I might be wrong..

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Sorry if I'm wrong here but if liberals' don't want to hear your opinion they just eliminate you . I used to have a Parlor app. and Boom it's gone, but like I said I might be wrong..
Parler is back on the web. If you kept the app, it still works. Relog in and your good to go. But because of the rush, it gets slow. As before, give them time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chuck43
1 - 20 of 59 Posts