Kimbertalk.com banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got back to the range today and all is great with the Micro 9. My calculations were spot on, and the .190" tall sight is perfect.

Fired another 100 rounds, 50 of each 124 Gold-Dot and Sierra 115JHP. Had 2 failures to feed out of 50 Sierra 115JHP's. Both were on the last round round of the 7 round mag. The 50 124gn Gold Dots were flawless and what I've decided to load for SD. 8.5 grains of Accurate #7 launched them at 1167FPS average and I could easily keep them within 3" at 10 yards off-hand.

Now all I need to do is finish the front sight and I have another EDC for the rotation.

Both targets were at 10-ish yards. Left was supported and the right was off-hand, all slow fire.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
The 50 124gn Gold Dots were flawless and what I've decided to load for SD. 8.5 grains of Accurate #7 launched them at 1167FPS average and I could easily keep them within 3" at 10 yards off-hand.
Sorry but that load is dangerously over pressure. I found out myself the hard way. The Speer reloading manual is totally out to lunch and lists dangerously high charges of AA#7 for the 124gr bullets. They list 8.1 as a starting load and 9.0 max.

The Lyman manual lists a max load with a 125gr JHP of 7.8gr. Accurate says 7.4 max for regular and 7.9 for +P for the 124gr GDHP. Nosier says 6.9 to 7.9. And so forth.

Every other reputable source lists a max load lower than Speer's *starting* load for the same bullet weight and type. It's insane.

I found out the hard way. After about 200 rounds loaded with 8.5gr my ejector broke. The gun was beating itself to death. I had flattened primers and occasional doubling too-slide velocity was way too fast and the internals couldn't keep up.

I then had to spend hours with a bullet puller systematically dismantling hundreds of rounds.

I dropped down to 7.5gr, had Kimber fix the broken ejector, and all is well....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry but that load is dangerously over pressure. I found out myself the hard way. The Speer reloading manual is totally out to lunch and lists dangerously high charges of AA#7 for the 124gr bullets. They list 8.1 as a starting load and 9.0 max.

The Lyman manual lists a max load with a 125gr JHP of 7.8gr. Accurate says 7.4 max for regular and 7.9 for +P for the 124gr GDHP. Nosier says 6.9 to 7.9. And so forth.
Mike, I agree that Speer data seems high, and why I've carefully worked up to 8.5 grains of #7. Though I see no pressure signs with that load, I do believe it is in the +P range as 1167fps from a 3" barrel is not something I've seen with any other powder or standard max pressure load. Also, don't forget that the Gold-Dot seats a significant amount less in the case than other bullets do. For instance, the GD seats .071" less deep than the XTP per manufacturer data, and also has a concave base and less bearing surface than the XTP. I'm not concerned that .6 gn higher than Hornady data is significant enough to be "dangerously over pressure".

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wasn’t concerned either. Then my gun broke, almost assuredly due to the excessively hot ammo...then I became concerned. :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Finished the front sight today. Matte finish is a bit shinier than the Kimber finish but it'll get the job done.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts