Kimber Talk Forums banner

Front sights for Micro 9

7K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Twobits73 
#1 ·
Anybody know of an aftermarket source for sights. Mine has a .150" but needs to be .190". I called Kimber today as they showed a .180" on their site, which would be a start, but they won't send one and told me to send the gun in so they can test the accuracy. Not going to happen as I've got a good one and who knows what I'll get back. If there's none available I just might have to machine one of my own. Thanks.

#3 ·
Exactly. The Brainchild I spoke to also insisted that Kimber only makes the one size sight for my pistol, the .150" tall one. I had to look it up and give her the part number of the .180". I wanted to ask her if it was her first day on the job but I just let it go.

#9 ·
I was about to give up on my Micro 9 because I could not shoot it accurately.

Finally called the factory and sent it back. It came back accurate.

The EVO was accurate from the start and I have had zero problems with it.

Don't hear much about the EVO these days, mostly see Micro 9 complaints.

#10 ·
Called Kimber again and talked to someone in support this time. Since I calculated my pistol needing a .190" sight, I asked what they would do if their .180" sight doesn't correct the high POI when I send it in. He told me that it would more than likely be within their "acceptable" accuracy range however if for some reason it wasn't then they'd probably have to replace the barrel, slide, or both. I decided to make a sight rather than chance sending it in and getting something back that may not be as reliable as it is now.

So I spent the morning in the shop and have a new sight 75% done. Before I finish it I'll be hitting the range to figure the exact height for my carry ammo.

Attachments

#15 ·
Depends on their purpose. Target gun, Truglow. Carry Gun XSBig Dot. The big dots are very fast to acquire when drawing from the holster and accurate enough to hold a 3" circle rapid fire out to 10 yards. Three Dot sights are better for bullseye shooting. The XS is a Combat Sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Albert, I will use on my carry and my eyes are not what they used to be. I like the idea and its faster for target acquisitions so I think i'll go with the XSbig dot. I feel its easier to align than the truglo. Obviously I'll need to take to a gun smith to install, correct?

#12 ·
I had the same problem with my Micro 9. I bought a replacement front sight online. Can't remember where. Then found out Kimber uses a different dovetail cut, so I had to hand fit mine with a very small 3 corner file. Took mt three sights before I got the right height, so I got good with the file. Tip I ground the teeth off one side of the 3 corner file, and that helped so I wasn't cutting where I didn't want to be.

#22 ·
Got back to the range today and all is great with the Micro 9. My calculations were spot on, and the .190" tall sight is perfect.

Fired another 100 rounds, 50 of each 124 Gold-Dot and Sierra 115JHP. Had 2 failures to feed out of 50 Sierra 115JHP's. Both were on the last round round of the 7 round mag. The 50 124gn Gold Dots were flawless and what I've decided to load for SD. 8.5 grains of Accurate #7 launched them at 1167FPS average and I could easily keep them within 3" at 10 yards off-hand.

Now all I need to do is finish the front sight and I have another EDC for the rotation.

Both targets were at 10-ish yards. Left was supported and the right was off-hand, all slow fire.

Attachments

#23 ·
The 50 124gn Gold Dots were flawless and what I've decided to load for SD. 8.5 grains of Accurate #7 launched them at 1167FPS average and I could easily keep them within 3" at 10 yards off-hand.
Sorry but that load is dangerously over pressure. I found out myself the hard way. The Speer reloading manual is totally out to lunch and lists dangerously high charges of AA#7 for the 124gr bullets. They list 8.1 as a starting load and 9.0 max.

The Lyman manual lists a max load with a 125gr JHP of 7.8gr. Accurate says 7.4 max for regular and 7.9 for +P for the 124gr GDHP. Nosier says 6.9 to 7.9. And so forth.

Every other reputable source lists a max load lower than Speer's *starting* load for the same bullet weight and type. It's insane.

I found out the hard way. After about 200 rounds loaded with 8.5gr my ejector broke. The gun was beating itself to death. I had flattened primers and occasional doubling too-slide velocity was way too fast and the internals couldn't keep up.

I then had to spend hours with a bullet puller systematically dismantling hundreds of rounds.

I dropped down to 7.5gr, had Kimber fix the broken ejector, and all is well....

#27 ·
Finished the front sight today. Matte finish is a bit shinier than the Kimber finish but it'll get the job done.

Looks nice but I won't have to do that with mine. It came out of the box dead accurate. Dead center with 124gr at both 10yds and 20yds and almost like that for 115gr. Didn't have a hiccup either. Only thing I did though before shooting is I lapped the slide and frame contacts with Mother's mag and aluminum cleaner/polish. Then I cleaned everything real good and oiled it according to the manual. Only thing I had issue with is the trigger but after 100 dry fires that is as smooth as a baby's behind. Shot nothing but 124gr for 2 boxes and then 14 rounds of 115gr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.