Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what holster(s) you use and how do you carry your full size 1911?? Do you carry it year round? I usually carry a Springfield XD9 subcompact year round and just got a new full size 1911! They are two different birds so any info appreciated! BTW, I'm 6 ft 2 inch and about 275 lbs. Working on getting to 245 lbs but I'll still be a full size human! Never carried anything as big as a full size 1911 before.

OLE442

· Registered
3,130 Posts
For me Ole, it's in a OWB or shoulder rig, but I carry my Ultra's or Micro 9 for daily carry. The only time I've got a 5" 1911 on my person, is at my range or way out in the outback, as IMO, it's just too bulky for daily carry when so many other great options are available.

My favorite OWB for my five inchers are from Galco, DeSantis and El Paso Saddlery. But you're about the right size to pack a five inch! :)

· Registered
3,552 Posts
For sure. When I carried on the job back in the 80’s, used a leather pancake, (still have it), holster at 3 o’clock position). Pulls it in tight against your body.

BUT!

Along with needing a good belt, If you have a spare tire, it may not work without the grip sticking out. (Ask me how I know, )
Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
16,341 Posts
I have to agree with Rick and Ninja...if for some crazy reason I HAD to carry one of my full size 1911's it would be OWB in leather. But I would probably roll with a Pro/Commander size model.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote blunted:
If you have a spare tire, it may not work without the grip sticking out.

I have a run flat..... 😂!

Actually, I’ll lose the bit of extra waist I have in the next two months! I’m working on it right now!

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, a decision on this one is almost as hard as trying to figure out whether to get a 2 post or a 4 post lift when I built my garage!

I had a nice OWB holster (can't remember brand/style) when I used to own an Ultra Carry II but never did carry it. I'm afraid that extra 2 inches in length will be hard to conceal.

I know I won't be doing a shoulder rig even though in some cases that might be best. I'm just a t-shirt kind of guy and don't wear a sport coat or sweater at all.

Thumb snap or not??

Then I'll have to carry more than one extra mag just in case I get confronted by a herd!

I do have an Urban Carry LockLeather OWB & extra magazine combo for my P345 and its acceptable and has a spare mag slot?

LockLeather OWB & Extra Magazine Combination

Oh well, I'll keep searching and will figure it out eventually! Thanks for opinions/info and keep suggestions coming!

OLE442

Reactions: stockmaker

· Registered
4,705 Posts
Man, a decision on this one is almost as hard as trying to figure out whether to get a 2 post or a 4 post lift when I built my garage!

I had a nice OWB holster (can't remember brand/style) when I used to own an Ultra Carry II but never did carry it. I'm afraid that extra 2 inches in length will be hard to conceal.

I know I won't be doing a shoulder rig even though in some cases that might be best. I'm just a t-shirt kind of guy and don't wear a sport coat or sweater at all.

Thumb snap or not??

Then I'll have to carry more than one extra mag just in case I get confronted by a herd!

I do have an Urban Carry LockLeather OWB & extra magazine combo for my P345 and its acceptable and has a spare mag slot?

LockLeather OWB & Extra Magazine Combination

Oh well, I'll keep searching and will figure it out eventually! Thanks for opinions/info and keep suggestions coming!

OLE442

No snap.
Just get a quality leather holster and it should have enough retention.
Unless you are riding a horse, motorcycle or an ATV. Then a snap makes sense.

The extra mag is mostly in case you get a malfunction.
Easier to drop and replace the mag than try to fix it under duress of a gunfight.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The extra mags are JIC I'm caught in the middle of an Antifa skateboard convention....LOL! With my SA XD9 SC, I have 29 rounds with one mag in the gun and a second in my left front pocket. These days, I like 29 over 16. With old eyes, "mo is better"!

· Registered
4,705 Posts
The extra mags are JIC I'm caught in the middle of an Antifa skateboard convention....LOL! With my SA XD9 SC, I have 29 rounds with one mag in the gun and a second in my left front pocket. These days, I like 29 over 16. With old eyes, "mo is better"!
I hear ya brother.
👍
My SIG P365xl has 14+1 which gets me to my truck.
I keep an AR pistol with 6 30 round mags in my truck, and a couple hundred rounds in a box behind the seat.

· Registered
856 Posts
Just curious what holster(s) you use and how do you carry your full size 1911?? Do you carry it year round? I usually carry a Springfield XD9 subcompact year round and just got a new full size 1911! They are two different birds so any info appreciated! BTW, I'm 6 ft 2 inch and about 275 lbs. Working on getting to 245 lbs but I'll still be a full size human! Never carried anything as big as a full size 1911 before.

OLE442
If you like kydex, check out Vedders IWB and OWB

· Registered
50 Posts
For full size I use a Craft Leatherworks OWB I bought before I knew they were based in the Czech Republic. It’s a nice holster, though.

I also use a Galco pancake, a Galco hybrid, and a Safariland ALS depending on weather and clothing.

· Registered
3,332 Posts
My EDC is a Galco Jackass rig, with a Safariland ALS hanging from it because the holster that comes with the Jackass is a worthless piece of garbage. I love the setup. Not perfect, but as close as I've found.

Reactions: stockmaker
1 - 18 of 18 Posts