Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked a Rapide the other day and in preparation for breaking it in this weekend I cleaned and oiled the little Micro 9 and a recoil spring from Galloway arrived this morning. Darn thing is though I couldn’t get the dang to compress enough to get back in the gun so I put the stock one back in. Is there a trick I’m missing? It’s only about a 1/2” longer but it feels like compressing a car spring!

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
This is from the Galloway website

“22 lb spring rate, stock spring rate according to Kimber is 11.5 lb (Our test showed stock rate at 16 lb”

“The single flat wound spring is considerably longer than the dual spring setup as the flat wound spring requires the extra length to equal the same spring rate as our 22lb dual springs, but no need to worry about proper fitment as the flat wound spring stacks up in the same space as the dual spring setup.”

Plain and simple, heavier and longer spring. It will fit but it’s going to take some work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uh—why are you replacing a perfectly good spring on what I assume is a new pistol? And it certainly sounds like your new spring is wrong? Both stiffer and longer is unlikely to work out well…..
Because I read too much and it seems like a bunch of guys have replaced the recoil spring to mitigate barrel flip and lighter trigger springs eventually so I figured “Let’s put it in before we get started and run with it.”

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is from the Galloway website

“22 lb spring rate, stock spring rate according to Kimber is 11.5 lb (Our test showed stock rate at 16 lb”

“The single flat wound spring is considerably longer than the dual spring setup as the flat wound spring requires the extra length to equal the same spring rate as our 22lb dual springs, but no need to worry about proper fitment as the flat wound spring stacks up in the same space as the dual spring setup.”

Plan and simple, heavier and longer spring. It will fit but it’s going to take some work.
I managed to get it in there after a lot of swearing and having to walk away a few times. I’m hoping it relaxes some and gets easier over time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In a brand new gun I wouldn't have changed anything. I would take the stock spring with you to range just in case the "new" part doesn't work. I am sure the stock part would have been fine. They do pay those engineers and designers a fair amount of money to make sure they have a quality item before it goes out the door.
If I had a dollar for every time I swore at a well paid engineer….but you’re right, I put it in the range bag just in case.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
So I just picked a Rapide the other day and in preparation for breaking it in this weekend I cleaned and oiled the little Micro 9 and a recoil spring from Galloway arrived this morning. Darn thing is though I couldn’t get the dang to compress enough to get back in the gun so I put the stock one back in. Is there a trick I’m missing? It’s only about a 1/2” longer but it feels like compressing a car spring!
I'm curious to see how this works out? There have been several #s thrown out there as far as the actual Micro 9 recoil spring weight goes. I'm pretty sure Kimber originally listed it at 15#s when the model was released (there are old threads from back then)? If you're really jumping from 11.5#s to 22#s I've gotta wonder if standard pressure ammo will cycle your new darling?
I'd bring the stock rig to the range in case the timing is thrown off. It may run fine but if not that stock spring may save your day 👆
Have fun, remember the pics...

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Okay…ya’ll got me paranoid now. Stock spring is back in.
Resist the urge to "upragde" your brand new gun.
If it aint broke....

Also, your new Kimber has a fantastic warranty and Kimber has excellent customer service and a super fast turn around time if anything goes wrong.

Run a few humdred rounds through it before changing anything.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with bad ninja. Before you change anything clean, lube and shoot. Even if you have issues with your new pistol I'd sort them out before you change anything. Personally I'd wonder about that heavy a spring anyway. The gun is timed with the weights of the recoil spring and the main spring.to function properly. So if you change to a heavier recoil spring you need a lighter main spring. That's a rabbit hole for sure .I've not found any aftermarket main springs anyway.

·
Registered
15,602 Posts
I agree with the guys, don't change anything before test firing!

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I thought Kimber worked out the Micro9 spring replacement years ago.

pics included.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well…range report. Stock gun, Fail to fire round 1. Didn’t go into battery. Fail to load round 7 of the next two mags. Every round after ran perfect. 147gr Federal, 100 total because that’s all I had. Ran 21 rounds of 115gr and all was smooth. I’m going to be honest, it was accurate but I not sure I like this little micro 9. I had some issues with my thumb activating the safety and adjusted my grip and somehow my trigger finger kept slapping into the trigger guard when firing causing some serious pain to the trigger finger. I found that wrapping my left index finger around the outside of the trigger guard helped mitigate that. I’m really gonna have to work with this gun to find the right amount of grip pressure and where to apply it. Here’s the first 7 rounds from 7yds and 21 rounds from 7-15yds. Had a couple flyers beyond 10/12yds.

·
Registered
15,602 Posts
Yep, that's part of the Micro9 platform world...it's not for everyone. Time and practice will tell.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im in the other crowd,like to tinker,also put in .22lb spring,it is stiff to get in but gets easier,also installed Mcarbo 3 spring kit,this was before firing,all my Ruger .22 have upgraded internals,as my S&W revolvers,have all had a couple springs chged to lighten things up,in bout 1000rds threw the Kimber had two fte with steel case ammo and a dirty gun,always keep my factory parts in case a trip back to manufactor is needed,just my 2 cents worth

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Well…range report. Stock gun, Fail to fire round 1. Didn’t go into battery. Fail to load round 7 of the next two mags. Every round after ran perfect. 147gr Federal, 100 total because that’s all I had. Ran 21 rounds of 115gr and all was smooth. I’m going to be honest, it was accurate but I not sure I like this little micro 9. I had some issues with my thumb activating the safety and adjusted my grip and somehow my trigger finger kept slapping into the trigger guard when firing causing some serious pain to the trigger finger. I found that wrapping my left index finger around the outside of the trigger guard helped mitigate that. I’m really gonna have to work with this gun to find the right amount of grip pressure and where to apply it. Here’s the first 7 rounds from 7yds and 21 rounds from 7-15yds. Had a couple flyers beyond 10/12yds.
View attachment 126616 View attachment 126617
Sorry things didn't go more smoothly? After reading about a failure to fully go into battery I thought "masybe that 22# spring was a good idea"? It well may be the way to go with NATO or +P ammo? I'll guess with some practice you'll figure out a grip/trigger finger pad arrangement that consistently works for you. My CZ RAMI took a minute for me to get comfortable with. I don't know that there are any subcompact 9s out there that are as smooth to shoot as a full-size pistol. Generally they're not range guns. They do conceal well and are way more comfortable to carry. Its a trade off, tool for every job kinda thing.
Your accuracy looks good to me? It'll only improve with practice.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well…range report. Stock gun, Fail to fire round 1. Didn’t go into battery. Fail to load round 7 of the next two mags. Every round after ran perfect. 147gr Federal, 100 total because that’s all I had. Ran 21 rounds of 115gr and all was smooth. I’m going to be honest, it was accurate but I not sure I like this little micro 9. I had some issues with my thumb activating the safety and adjusted my grip and somehow my trigger finger kept slapping into the trigger guard when firing causing some serious pain to the trigger finger. I found that wrapping my left index finger around the outside of the trigger guard helped mitigate that. I’m really gonna have to work with this gun to find the right amount of grip pressure and where to apply it.
I've got a Micro 9 Rapide too. I had similar issues with my thumb activating the safety. I grip it a little different now...I cover the tip of the strong hand thumb with the weak hand thumb...keeps it out mischief with the safety. I also hold a little tighter. It's a small gun and requires some adjustment in grip.

Reactions: dbell54

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did some work on the Rapide…I did go with the heavier recoil spring and I did the MCarbo trigger spring job on it and it made a HUGE difference in shootability. The recoil was greatly reduced and my finger no longer smashes into the trigger guard. I only had time to put a box of 50 Norma 124gr fmj’s through I no longer feel like I generally hate this gun. I may just keep it now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts