Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did some work on the Rapide…I did go with the heavier recoil spring and I did the MCarbo trigger spring job on it and it made a HUGE difference in shootability. The recoil was greatly reduced and my finger no longer smashes into the trigger guard. I only had time to put a box of 50 Norma 124gr fmj’s through I no longer feel like I generally hate this gun. I may just keep it now.
Ditto for mine with same upgrades

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Struggled with mine today.
I'm 74, old and weak with small hands.
Could not get the Galloway installed.
Put it back in the package.

Only have about 50 rounds through the new Two Tone.
Was not having any trouble with recoil, feeding or ejecting.
It just seemed like a good idea to tame the kick.

Put the original recoil spring back in.
Saving the Galloway for later.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That 22# spring is pain in the a** to get installed..
Trick is - keep your slide tilted up with the barrel end on a table. Then use one of your fingers to hold the barrel in place (it will want to slide down a bit, keep it seated). Get the spring in the slide and 'scrunch' up as much as you can on the guide rod. In one move, press down and lock in the guide rod behind the barrel. Do not hesitate one bit, if you pause at all, start over or you will wrap that spring literally around your slide if you try to continue! Do not ever let go of the guide rod/spring until it is seated or your backing off for another go at it - that spring and or guide rod will injure your face if it gets loose from you completely..
I shoot 147gr ammo 100% of the time and it is great, I would imagine 115gr range ammo would not be the best..
Just my 3 cents!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I just picked a Rapide the other day and in preparation for breaking it in this weekend I cleaned and oiled the little Micro 9 and a recoil spring from Galloway arrived this morning. Darn thing is though I couldn’t get the dang to compress enough to get back in the gun so I put the stock one back in. Is there a trick I’m missing? It’s only about a 1/2” longer but it feels like compressing a car spring!
First thing, you DO have the correct spring, but yes, they are extremely difficult to get in at first but they do loosen up…a little.
Secondly, they DO work very well. I used to own 6 Kimber Micro 9’s at one time and I had the same spring and each of them. Never had a malfunction after I changed out the springs. I’ve since sold the collection but I’m getting the “Kimber itch” again after seeing the new two-tone Rapide! Lol

21 - 29 of 29 Posts