Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased Galloway's 22lb recoil spring to install in my M9 due to me running Federal HST +P JHPs for concealed carry. I watched Galloway's video on the spring install but there's no way I could install it. I have pretty strong hand/finger strength but I went belly-up on the install. Galloway made multiple comments that a lot of people WILL NOT be able to do the install and they're not kidding. Oh well, I guess I'll keep my stock spring in it.

On another site a member cut 3/4" off his 22lb Galloway spring. He estimated it had 15 to 16 lb after the mod. Dunno, might try that. The stock one's 11lb. If I change/cut the spring I'll head to the range to verify operation and reliability.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l86...C7yveNwfKjotqw8IE3s7YHH3cZM5JENLKPdAvZgGsPtKo

·
Administrator
40,100 Posts
If you cut 3/4" off a 22 lb spring, you just have a shorter 22 lb spring, not a weaker one.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
You may be able to manufacture a compression aid and sacrificial retention clip? A piece of wood with a guide rod diameter hole should help. Put the spring on the guide rod and press the wood block down onto it until the coils are compressed onto the rod. As far as capturing the spring once its compressed. A price of wire with hooks on each end and sized slightly shorter than the guide rod may be able to do the trick? Something similar to a PRO takedown tool with both ends bent. Once its on drop your captured recoil assembly into place, snip the wire clip in the middle and remove the halves. Voila...

...you should probably wear safety glasses before, during and after heading down this rabbit hole. Good luck 🤓

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
I don't see the need to run +P self defense ammo in a Micro9...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well... I said screw it and cut 3/4" of Galloway's spring. It did the trick in allowing me to installing it. The pull-back on the slide is definitely stiffer. I'll take it to the range and validate the modification to "recertify" it for concealed carry. I'll call Galloway and see what they say too. I know they won't be happy with my mod it though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see the need to run +P self defense ammo in a Micro9...
I've always subscribed to more is better. If I had a 45/70 derringer I'd run +Ps too.

In fact, this is my other concealed carry, 45LC and .410 w/000 buck.

Trigger Grey Revolver Air gun Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Are you having issues with the standard 16# spring?

Even though your Micro 9 is capable of shooting higher pressure +P ammo, it is not recommended to subject any firearm to long term use of higher pressure ammo unless it's specifically designed for it, because of the frame stress and additional wear that is put on it.

The Micro 9 is a light weight, compact firearm by design. If you're looking for a higher velocity defensive ammo you may want to consider copper/polymer matrix ammo such as ARX or others that are designed for short barrel guns

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to Kimber's website it's a 11.5lb spring. Other than velocity it makes no difference on short or long barrels WRT ammo design. Don't know where you got that... The +Ps are for self defense, not range time. The only other times are to "proof" the ammo for reliability. After this mod I'll do that for the standard pressure FMJs and +P ammo alike.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've always subscribed to more is better. If I had a 45/70 derringer I'd run +Ps too.

In fact, this is my other concealed carry, 45LC and .410 w/000 buck.
That thought process may work in a lot of applications, but it can be dangerous when it is applied to firearms.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
According to Kimber's website it's a 11.5lb spring. Other than velocity it makes no difference on short or long barrels WRT ammo design. Don't know where you got that... The +Ps are for self defense, not range time. The only other times are to "proof" the ammo for reliability. After this mod I'll do that for the standard pressure FMJs and +P ammo alike.
You are correct...My bad...I've been studying the specs on the Ultra's lately, which have 16# springs. But...right there is a great example that underscores the point I'm trying to make.
Even though the Micro and Ultra are fractionally almost the same dimensions...the weight difference is almost 10 ounces..

SPECIFICATIONS - MICRO 9 STAINLESS
  • Height (inches) 90° to barrel: 4.07
  • Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 15.6
  • Length (inches): 6.1
  • Magazine capacity: 7
  • Recoil spring (pounds): 11.5
  • Full-length guide rod
FRAME
  • Material: Aluminum
  • Width (inches): 1.06
SLIDE
  • Material: Stainless Steel
  • Finish: Satin Silver
BARREL
  • Length (inches): 3.15
  • Material: Stainless Steel
  • Twist rate (left hand): 16
  • Ramped
SIGHTS
  • White dot sights
  • Radius (inches): 4.3
GRIPS
  • Rosewood
TRIGGER
  • Solid Aluminum, match grade
  • Factory setting (approximate pounds): 7.0

SPECIFICATIONS - STAINLESS ULTRA CARRY II
  • Height (inches) 90° to barrel: 4.75
  • Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 25
  • Length (inches): 6.8
  • Magazine capacity: 8
  • Recoil spring (pounds): 16.0
  • Full-length guide rod
FRAME
  • Material: Aluminum
  • Width (inches): 1.28
SLIDE
  • Material: Stainless steel
BARREL
  • Length (inches): 3
  • Material: Steel, match grade
  • Twist rate (left hand): 16
  • Ramped
SIGHTS
  • Fixed low profile
  • Fiber optic front sight
  • Radius (inches): 4.8
GRIPS
  • Rosewood, with Kimber logo
TRIGGER
  • Aluminum, match grade
  • Factory setting (approximate pounds): 4.0 - 5.0

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I procured my information like everyone else dose by researching the internet. It's a known fact that JHP ammo is ineffective when it is launched from short barreled firearms. It doesn't develop the required velocity to effectively expand and transfer its energy in the target...so, I got that one from the ammo manufacturers website. Here's what they have to say.

Better yet...HERE'S a link.

ADVANCED PERSONAL DEFENSE AMMUNITION.
The ARX® is a revolutionary bullet in every sense of the word. From the way it’s manufactured, to its shape, to the way it transfers energy to the target. The non-expanding ARX is injection-molded from a specially blended polymer-copper matrix that is designed to be tough enough for an all-purpose defense round.
Upon entering soft tissue, the specially designed grooves in the nose harness the soft tissue and constrict, pressurize and eject it at 1.5 to 2 times the directional speed of the bullet. This is the well-known Venturi Effect. As the bullet penetrates, it tumbles in a controlled, predictable fashion that delivers consistent terminal performance that equals or exceeds conventional hollow-point designs without over penetrating.
Inceptor® ARX Preferred Defense rounds are designed to function in all weapons, including large-frame handguns, carbines and automatic weapons. Due to the lightweight ARX bullet, it has a low-recoil signature for increased follow-up accuracy in critical defense situations.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The expert(s) seem to agree with you on the "new" rating Rusty.

I ended up emailing Eric, the owner of Galloway. He said that the spring will still function as intended, just with a reduce poundage rating (which is fine with me). I will report back after proofing it with some range time.

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
It sounds like you are dead set on doing whatever you want to do no matter what we say so...

Just because you can use maximum power ammo don't mean you should. I could use my M1A for a house gun but that don't make it a good choice.

Good luck with your Micro9.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Thoughts?

---

According to Galloway, the factory recoil spring which Kimber rates as 11.5lb was measured by Galloway as 16lb. "stock spring rate according to Kimber is 11.5 lb (Our test showed stock rate at 16lb)." So now you're taking a Galloway rated 22lb spring and shorting it to approximate 16lb ?

Kimber rates their pistols to handle +P but recommends limited use as you've described. So... I wouldn't be overly concerned with changing the factory recoil spring. In any event, I wouldn't be concerned enough to replace it with a kitchen table configured recoil spring.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
It sounds like you are dead set on doing whatever you want to do no matter what we say so...

Just because you can use maximum power ammo don't mean you should. I could use my M1A for a house gun but that don't make it a good choice.
Seems to me one of the biggest drawbacks of +P ammo in these small guns is not practicing with it. Practicing with standard ammo but carrying +P doesn't seem ideal to me. I practice with 124gr Fed American Eagle and carry 124gr Fed HST. Shoots the same.

Additional commentary:

Ammunition

We shot some +P ammo in the Micro 9, but we cannot recommend it. This is no indictment of Kimber or the otherwise fine Micro—indeed, the Kimber is rated for it, and the two varieties we shot produced impressive accuracy (Hornady Critical Defense/135 and Creedmoor SST/124). Rather, it’s a recognition of those physical (and physics) realities: These extremely energetic ammunition types exaggerate all the things that make small guns difficult to master—dramatic recoil signatures, muzzle flashes and report. Down the line, you may want or need to step up your defensive ammo to this level, but do so only after substantial practice, and knowing full well what you’re getting into.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The expert(s) seem to agree with you on the "new" rating Rusty.

I ended up emailing Eric, the owner of Galloway. He said that the spring will still function as intended, just with a reduce poundage rating (which is fine with me). I will report back after proofing it with some range time.
It'll be interesting to see how how things go. I don't doubt it'll function but wonder how for how long?

Prior to the Micro .380s being retrofit with a flat wire rig I experimented with a few alternatives and tested with a number of ammo options. I found +P ammo ran well but destroyed recoil springs in shout order. As in within a few magazines 😳
Once a spring became deformed reliability plummeted. It was pretty obvious when one sprung it's little heart out...

I've taken to keeping detailed round counts on all my pistols. For my two "carry" options both have suggested 1000 round change intervals for recoil springs. I keep a tested, low round count, set up in both. For the range I swap them out to "play" springs and rotate the carry sets in as need be.

...remember the pics in your range report 👍🏻

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how how things go. I don't doubt it'll function but wonder how for how long?
One more thing I didn't think about until just now: The preload on the spring helps push a round into the chamber. All of us have experienced a round failing to fully chamber at one time or another, for reasons that aren't quite evident. Sometimes just a little push on the slide is all that's needed to get it to go. With less spring preload, I'd expect to see that more frequently.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One more thing I didn't think about until just now: The preload on the spring helps push a round into the chamber. All of us have experienced a round failing to fully chamber at one time or another, for reasons that aren't quite evident. Sometimes just a little push on the slide is all that's needed to get it to go. With less spring preload, I'd expect to see that more frequently.
The modified spring is still longer than the OEM one and has at least an equal to but probably higher spring rate. I don't see this as a problem. As I'd mentioned before, the pull-back on the slide requires more force than it did with the OEM spring. With all this theoretical conjecture the proof will be in the pudding, range firing.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
You are correct sir. I have tracked the progressive spring wear as measurable shortening of the overall length. It's absolutely relative to the ammo. Hotter ammo = more rapid wear (shortening) of recoil springs. My research isn't terribly scientific but supports the idea of watching. When it gets to the point where the preload is impotent it's time to toss that baby.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts