Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have your attention, I'm going to need to find a gun for my wife soon to get her interested in learning to defend herself.

She has weak hands, arms and is getting over a shoulder problem, so my PC and Royal won't work because she would not be able to rack the slide and the kick of a .45 will be too much for her IMO. I want her to carry a gun eventually in her car or purse for emergency self defense...as in, flat tire + bad part of town = oh crap I'm stupid for not being prepared.

I'm thinking a feather light S&W revolver might do. But I also would prefer her having 16 rounds, so maybe a Glock? Are they easy to cock? Someone suggested a Walther PPK. I don't don't know how stiff the slide is on one of those either.

Small, light, easy, reliable, capable. Suggestions?

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
P238. Easiest of all to rack and shoot. Very nice gun. Glocks are harder to rack.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Take her to your local shop and let her have a look. If she has any experience, she'll have an idea of what she wants. If she doesn't, she most likely lean toward appearances. Once she has found some interest in a few different guns, letter handle them. I try to have the dealer put 3 or even 4 on the counter for direct comparison. Have go through the motions of loading, unloading, etc. You'll see it won't take long before she settles on one she likes.
The best thing you can do, while she's looking, is answer questions. If she asks for a suggestion, give her one. Otherwise, let her do the thinking.

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts
You haven't mentioned her level of experience or gun knowledge. If she's new to shooting a .22 and a basic beginners class may be the best way to introduce her to the sport.

Reactions: Chickadee

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I really love my P238 as my EDC. Trouble free, easy to shoot & rack, not much kick, small enough to conceal with just about any clothing type. It's also an attractive gun, for what that's worth.

I do agree with taking her to several gun shops & letting her handle several different pistols to help her get the feel for what's comfortable. I have small hands, so what's comfortable for me is not always the same as what my husband would pick, but he is a GREAT reference for knowing a lot more about what options are out there.

I would also take her to a range that rents guns so she can shoot several different models to get a feel for them on the range.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Both my wife and I have and carry P938. When my wife decided she wanted to carry on her person we went to the Range/LGS and they put out 8 different pistols for her to compare. The guy who assisted with that said he knew which she would choose when she was all done. He was right she chose the P938.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She has little if any experience. She has never fired a gun in the 35 years we've been married. Her brothers all had guns, so she isn't overly afraid or against them. She's just a girly girl though, and not too interested. I think she needs to be prepared. That is my goal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Girly Guns

For conceal and carry... and a girly girl...

The ruger LCP comes in Pink, and Purple... and is a nice small gun.

i am waiting to see the new Walther CCP due this year. It's a compensated 9mm that starts around 500$.

Walther CCP

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
Take her to your local shop and let her have a look. If she has any experience, she'll have an idea of what she wants. If she doesn't, she most likely lean toward appearances. Once she has found some interest in a few different guns, letter handle them. I try to have the dealer put 3 or even 4 on the counter for direct comparison. Have go through the motions of loading, unloading, etc. You'll see it won't take long before she settles on one she likes.
The best thing you can do, while she's looking, is answer questions. If she asks for a suggestion, give her one. Otherwise, let her do the thinking.
This is the best advice you could get. Never buy one for her, let her buy one for her.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Sig P238's are .380 Auto/ACP only, the Sig P938's are 9mm only. Rumor has it that Sig has released a P938 in .22LR with a P938 .22LR conversion kit on the way later.

For Kimber Fans, the newly released (2 years coming) "Kimber Micro Carry & Kimber Micro CDP" (Custom Shop), is Kimber's answer to Sig's popular P238 .380 (a near twin).

Kimber Micro's (Left), Sig P238 (Right)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
P238. Easiest of all to rack and shoot. Very nice gun. Glocks are harder to rack.
I had 20 minutes left after a lunch meeting, so I went to a LGS and they had a P238. Wow. That thing is ti-neency! It was easy to rack the slide and it did look like a quality item despite being smaller than a McDonald's hamburger. Nice sights on it too. The salesman did say "You should bring her here and let her have a look. Let her handle them. Go through the motion of loading and firing them. I wouldn't choose for her..." Then I said "are you pbsdaddy?" :eek:

That is good advice. I wouldn't want somebody picking my gun out.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Being a left handed shooter my wife chose the HK P2000. Never mind the fact she is German and insisted on a German pistol. They do make some damn fine guns.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Like others have said let her pick but it is hare to beat a Sig 238/938 that is what my wife carries after a long line of guns she bought a carried for a while the quit because they where to heavy or hurt to shoot. and yes Sig does make a 938-22.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
No suggestion Here!!

Take the Mrs. to a good gun shop and turn her loose. Your sole function is to make sure that what she chooses is a quality, reliable firearm. Other than that just sit back and pay the bill!!!:D:D:D She'll like it a whole lot more if she is the one making the choice!!!;);)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts