Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The GSG 1911 metal mag works fine in my KImber, it also holds the slide open after the last round, one failure not to.
Oddly, 2 of my three plastic mags would not seat in my pistol. When I compared them to the working mag, you could readily see that their locking notch was much narrower, so 5 min of Dremel and file work and they fit fine, and work well.
Joebob's on Ebay sells the metal mags for $24.95 with free shipping.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You'll ruin the slide stop notch in your slide over time if you use mags with a follower that engages the slide stop, locking it open when empty. A steel slide would be too heavy for a 22lr to cycle, so they are made of aluminum. The hardened steel slide stop will wear the notch to the point that the slide will not be able to be locked open after a while. That's the reason the factory mags don't have a last round hold open built into the follower.

Kimber found this out way back when they were having Ceiner make their conversion kits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll ruin the slide stop notch in your slide over time if you use mags with a follower that engages the slide stop, locking it open when empty. A steel slide would be too heavy for a 22lr to cycle, so they are made of aluminum. The hardened steel slide stop will wear the notch to the point that the slide will not be able to be locked open after a while. That's the reason the factory mags don't have a last round hold open built into the follower.

Kimber found this out way back when they were having Ceiner make their conversion kits.
I heard about the slide notch issue, and will probably not use the GSG mag regularly. Wonder if the slide stop could be modded to offer a more blunt edge to the notch, eliminating this issue.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I heard about the slide notch issue, and will probably not use the GSG mag regularly. Wonder if the slide stop could be modded to offer a more blunt edge to the notch, eliminating this issue.
Or you could do what many of us do with these conversions.....do your round count and reload at ten. I use both of mine in the field all the time, do my round count, no problems whatever, and no damaged alloy slide. Up to you, when do you stop using the metal mags.....when you see damage, or when it's too late?

·
Administrator
39,581 Posts
Here I thought it was only me, I was taught to round count as a youngster when I was first taught to shoot. I do it subconsciously, with every gun I shoot, no matter if it's an automatic, pump, lever, handgun, long gun or shotgun. I was taught to always be aware of how many rounds were still in the gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here I thought it was only me, I was taught to round count as a youngster when I was first taught to shoot. I do it subconsciously, with every gun I shoot, no matter if it's an automatic, pump, lever, handgun, long gun or shotgun. I was taught to always be aware of how many rounds were still in the gun.
Unfortunately, I was trained on pistols in OTS for 2 days, we were lucky if the slides didn't fall off the pistols. Never mind round countiong. Not wanting to trash my Kimber slide, guess I can learn to count to 110.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Unfortunately, I was trained on pistols in OTS for 2 days, we were lucky if the slides didn't fall off the pistols. Never mind round countiong. Not wanting to trash my Kimber slide, guess I can learn to count to 110.
OTS? Okay, now we know the problem (grin). Way back in a land far far away, I was schooled by a crusty old Marine MGSGT to round count every weapon we used, the MG not withstanding. But I vividly remember those old rattely 1911's!

I do alot of varmint shooting for ranchers here, which includes containing the number of ground squirrels in the alfalfa. Bloth custom 10-22's and Kimber Rimfire Conversions are used for all the "inside the wire" stuff. CF rifles for the 500 yard stuff. All five guys in my crew now know the value of round counting, as we really bust arse on the guy who goes through his entire magazine, then goes "CLICK" on that empty chamber missing a "gimmie" shot at 30 yards. Don't be that guy! ;)

Besides, round counting really comes into play if we're ever in that situation we all hope never happens. It could very well determine the outcome.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Have the slide stop notch srilled and press fit with epoxy a steel gauge pin or drill rod. Leave slightly proud so the contact is steel on steel. Well i did…the GSG mag is far superior as it drops free and locks back so training is consistent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts