Kimbertalk.com banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what gun oil u all recommend for 1911. Kimber recommends shooters choice FP 10. Ive been using Hopes gun oil. Is one better than the other?

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Oh hell no... the last guy who used Hoppe's lube blew up his 1911. Just kidding... :D

There are no magic lubes or anything 1911 specific. For a new gun liberally apply a light viscosity oil. Don't use grease. Hoppe's is a bit thicker viscosity than what I'd use for a new gun but my 99.99% guess is you'll be just fine with what ya got. Enjoy your new Kimber.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
EVO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I use M-Pro 7 cleaner and oil with no issues. Actually, I believe they might be a Hoppe's product line.

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Super Moderator
37,303 Posts
Unless you're in extreme conditions, a rain forest, the Antarctic, or Death Valley as long as you remember to clean and lube your gun it doesn't matter much what oil you use, the important thing is to use it.

Personally I use FP-10 and on my very well broken in carry guns I will apply a light coating of Brian Enos Slide Glide to the rails. I know Kimber does not recommend using grease of any kind on their guns but it's what I do and it works for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My current favorites are Ballistol & TW25b, but I use Hoppe's and 2 or 5 others from time to time.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hickock45 uses Ballistol, and I wouldn't argue with his opinion

Reactions: Oklahomabound

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Does Hickok45 have more understanding about 1911s and lube than any other Net jockey?

If yer gonna name-drop about 1911s and lube at least use a name that knows what he's talking about. Unlike magic lube mouth-breathers, Bill Wilson understands that viscosity makes a difference, and is why I use his lubes.

·
Super Moderator
37,303 Posts
I've got guns (my fathers and grandfathers) older than me and if I remember correctly they lubed with 3 in One oil. Those guns still function like the day they came out of the factory.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Does Hickok45 have more understanding about 1911s and lube than any other Net jockey
He understands how they should and shouldn't survive countless thousands of rounds down the pipe, anything beyond that only matters to net jockies.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hickock45 uses Ballistol, and I wouldn't argue with his opinion
Ballistol isnt bad.

As far as Hickock45 goes,
I watched his channel right up until he advocated for gun control, adding bump stocks to the NFA, and the government ignoring the constitution.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I've got guns (my fathers and grandfathers) older than me and if I remember correctly they lubed with 3 in One oil. Those guns still function like the day they came out of the factory.
My grandfathers Remington Pump 20 gage and a couple auto handguns had motor oil for years. He used to keep a small dropper filled with it to lube his guns. All of them show little wear after all these years. Bottom line is any good oil will keep the metal to metal friction to a minimum. As for 3in1 oil, I've used my wife's sewing machine oil in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've read a number of extensive discussions on various lube properties. I've tried some of the higher viscosity products. Lucas has one I use now & then. Will check out Wilson as well.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts