Kimbertalk.com banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,303 Posts
This is the most over though topic in the firearms world.
Guys that can do ballistic dope in their heads, hand fit 1911 parts, load custom ammo, lose their shit trying to buy oil for a tool.

Most gun oils ( Rem oil, Hopps) are just mineral oil.

Gun oil needs to provide lubrication and corrosion protection.
Its not magic.
Damn, I wish I could hit the LIKE button 2 dozen times.

My oldest gun is my grandfathers Winchester 1873 .32-20 that he bought new. I don't know what superballstic snakeoil was the fad at the turn of the century, but I'm going to take a WAG and say being a farmer he didn't use it. It wouldn't surprise me if lard or tallow were used at times but that gun being in the family for over 123 years still functions and shoots like the day it was manufactured. I still maintain that it's not what you use but that you use it.

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
Preach it Chuck and Ninja!
I remember Dad cleaning, oiling his Winchester Model 12. Check it out, he had two strips of a old shirt on the end of about a 5 foot piece of a bamboo cane pole, a bottle of Hoppes #9, a squirt can of 3 in 1 oil.
I still love the smell of #9.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Twenty years ago we were using my truck to help a friend pick up something big from this weird old packrat guy. There was junk stacked all around the house and yard. I seem to recall something about the city cracking down and making the guy clean up the place. So as I was trying to negotiate my way to the other end of the yard, I came across a coupe cases of old gun oil. It was issued by the military in little olive colored cans with pot metal spouts. It might have been Korean or Vietnam vintage, I don't remember. Most of the cans were banged up, some were leaky. The old man gave me the oil, which I thought was really cool at the time. My wife and I spent the next day pouring the oil into more convenient containers. The stuff was dark, it stunk pretty bad, but it was slippery like you'd want your oil to be. The funny thing is, despite being a lifetime's supply, I never used the oil on a single gun or anything else. It smelled too bad and I prefer not to use mystery products on my machinery. It was just last week that I was cleaning a shelf in the garage and came across what I HOPE is the last bottle of that foul liquid. Time, effort, space--all wasted in a project that was for naught.

·
Super Moderator
37,303 Posts
I love the smell of Hoppe's 9, it brings back great memories of my father and grandfather and the times we had shooting. It's still the only bore cleaner that I use. A couple of years back I took a new bottle and drilled a small hole in the cap, I took a cotton shoe lace and threaded it through the hole in the cap. I put the shoe lace in the bottle and had about 1" sticking above the cap. I thought it made a wonderful air freshener for my workshop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hoppes 9 for the bore, love the smell and remember my dad using it decades ago. Brother-in-law got me going on Break Free years back, he used it in the military and I have been a fiathful user for years. Their CLP is pretty good and what I use for cleaning other than the bore. I also use FP-10 on occasion...

As other post said, frequent cleaning and oiling is more important than what oil. My father was a die hard WD-40 guy and the guns I inherited still look and function great but he cleaned and lubed often...

·
Registered
17 Posts
My father was a die hard WD-40 guy
My old-school certified 'smith had a habit of using a tray full of WD40 to leave pistol parts in for various # of days, during his cleaning routine. He admitted there were 'probably better' liquids to use, but he had done this successfully so many times for so long over the decades, that he couldn't see how anything else would be any better.

·
Registered
536 Posts
During what seems like the last 100 years, I have tried countless lube products on my guns. At the end of the day, every one of them worked. Some might smell better than others, but they still worked.

·
Registered
122 Posts
During what seems like the last 100 years, I have tried countless lube products on my guns. At the end of the day, every one of them worked. Some might smell better than others, but they still worked.
Agree .. :)
For cleaner : Break free
Barrel & sear : Hope's Elte gun oil
Slide : a tough of Slide Glide "Lite"

Attachments

41 - 51 of 51 Posts