Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this will get a laugh, or start violent discussion. Either way, I'm good, since I am a looooong time Kimber lover and owner.

I have at different times owned 3 Kimber and all were the finest pistols I've ever handled and shot (out of at least 15 manufacturers). So, I'm at a big range/store/training place in Raleigh yesterday with my son who has ben shooting a while, but owns one pistol, so he rented a few which we tested while we shot some of mine (and his only).

When we're done, we of course are browsing the shelves and there are a ton of them, I'd guess they have have 250 pistols on display in table top cases, wall racks, and in big glass fronted displays. At least 1/3 of them are Sig (no Kimbers). We engage a clerk to handle a few polymer carry pistols -- Glock, Sigs, Hellcat, a small Ruger, an H&K, etc, and I'm explaining to my son (with the salesman's OK) about how to test trigger feel and reset on each. My son learns a lot which will stand him in good stead when I'm not with him. He wants a new carry gun, but he is short on cash, so it's an important decision and learning process for him.

So the guy starts a side discussion with me about what I have and carry, and I do my list including Kimber, and he says, "Shot them much?" I say, yes, Ive shot the hell out of them. He says, "and they still work?" (I'm getting irritated....) so I say, "Have you had a problem with one? Maybe I can help you." He says no, my 1911s are all Sigs" (no surprise, he works in a f---ing Sig "mall") So I continue, that I prefer Kimber 1911s, and he says, "It's well known they don't hold up." So I said, "By whom?". He says, "Everyone".

At this point we're done. He is a nice (if stupid) guy who has been helpful and let us play with a bunch of pistols we're not going to buy, so we smile and leave. My son asks as we get in the car, what was that about, and I explain the issue some dealers who won't carry enough Kimber stock being/acting/selling the "anti-Kimber" story because they have a hard time getting them for people. It's like the Ford dealer being anti-GM.

The prices at the place sucked anyway, and we won't be back, it was just a few teachable moments for my 35 year old son.

·
Registered
14,434 Posts
Yep happens ALL the time. What's worse is (Sportsman Warehouse) being "helped" at the gun counter by a guy or gal that usually works in the clothes or shoe department cause the regular gun "know it all expert" is on lunch break. You can tell the name and model of the pistol you want to look at but they have no clue so you have to say: second shelf down, third black pistol from the left...no your other left!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Couldn’t agree with you more. Most gun shops where I live with the exception of Cabelas which is 30 miles from my home, don’t have Kimbers or if any maybe 1 or 2 @ crazy prices. So of course they will sway u away to sell what they have in stock. Most of the guns they sell are for the average ham & eggers. They are no different than car salesman. I have 4 Kimbers 3 1911’s no friggin issue, just with the micro Rapide due to a bad mag spring which has been addressed. I’m a bonafide Kimber lover. Screw what other people say. If u make a statement back it up with proof otherwise shut the fuck up.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I once heard an old guy behind a gun counter tell a new gun buyer he tells everyone that unless they're a gunsmith they should never clean their gun because they aren't qualified to take it apart and may not be able to get it back together property. At this point I was so flabbergasted I couldn't just walk away, but trying to give him the benefit of the doubt I asked if he meant l don't take it completely apart, or don't even give it a basic field strip and run a brush down the barrel. He clarified he tells people not to take it apart AT ALL. PERIOD. If you think it's dirty, take it to a shop and have it cleaned.
I hope the look on my face was enough to convey my amazement. Regardless, point is: no matter how much silver is in their hair or how many decades of personal gun anecdotal stories he's got to share, gun store employees may still have an outrageous amount of complete bullshit to share under the guise of wisdom and experience.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Must be a "Sig thing". I stopped at a shop, I had passed several times, to see what they had. As I walked in, the owner approached and asked how he could help. I told him I was want to see his .45s. He asked if I wanted 1911 or something, "better". At that point, my defenses are peaked. I told him 1911, preferably, Kimbers. He said, I don't carry those. I asked why and he says, "They have plastic main spring housings". He says he has a great 1911 and hands me a Sig. A nice gun, to be sure. But I wanted to get back to the plastic. I looked in his display case and saw all manner of plastic guns. He was an, "Authorized Glock Dealer". I said you sure have a lot of Glocks! Oh yeah, he said. Great guns, he said. Would you like to see one of their .45s.

I really saw no reason for further engagement, so I thanked him and departed. I doubt he ever caught on.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I once heard an old guy behind a gun counter tell a new gun buyer he tells everyone that unless they're a gunsmith they should never clean their gun because they aren't qualified to take it apart and may not be able to get it back together property. At this point I was so flabbergasted I couldn't just walk away, but trying to give him the benefit of the doubt I asked if he meant l don't take it completely apart, or don't even give it a basic field strip and run a brush down the barrel. He clarified he tells people not to take it apart AT ALL. PERIOD. If you think it's dirty, take it to a shop and have it cleaned.
I hope the look on my face was enough to convey my amazement. Regardless, point is: no matter how much silver is in their hair or how many decades of personal gun anecdotal stories he's got to share, gun store employees may still have an outrageous amount of complete bullshit to share under the guise of wisdom and experience.
Just like Dimentia Joe

·
Registered
508 Posts
Must be a "Sig thing". I stopped at a shop, I had passed several times, to see what they had. As I walked in, the owner approached and asked how he could help. I told him I was want to see his .45s. He asked if I wanted 1911 or something, "better". At that point, my defenses are peaked. I told him 1911, preferably, Kimbers. He said, I don't carry those. I asked why and he says, "They have plastic main spring housings". He says he has a great 1911 and hands me a Sig. A nice gun, to be sure. But I wanted to get back to the plastic. I looked in his display case and saw all manner of plastic guns. He was an, "Authorized Glock Dealer". I said you sure have a lot of Glocks! Oh yeah, he said. Great guns, he said. Would you like to see one of their .45s.

I really saw no reason for further engagement, so I thanked him and departed. I doubt he ever caught on.
Another sheep like a democrat. They just are on another planet. Their in it for the commission not the mission

·
Registered
681 Posts
That's beyond bullshit..that's pure hypocrisy and stupidity. How on earth that idiot got a job there is beyond comprehension. Must have been the owners uncle.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Most people that bash Kimber have never shot a Kimber, much less owned one.
My Ultra far exceded my expectations.
The internet tells me it should choke because its a Kimber.
Mine must be defective because its been flawless.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Most people that bash Kimber have never shot a Kimber, much less owned one.
My Ultra far exceded my expectations.
The internet tells me it should choke because its a Kimber.
Mine must be defective because its been flawless.
Flawless, go figure. My Solo’s still that way even though it’s been bashed to pulp all over the forums. even here. But it still keeps chugging along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Well, it might clear things up a bit if I mentioned it was a Cabella's...

• Haha
Reactions: Byrd
1 - 20 of 66 Posts