Kimber Talk Forums banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
In twin cities, MN I mainly use Scheels, Arnzen Arms, and The Modern Sportsman. All 3 are Kimber dealers to various degrees. But the sales people always talk shit about Kimber and for some reason particular their customer service. Only time I sent a gun to Kimber was recently (I posted about it) and the whole process took a week to send, fix, and receive.
I do think some of the issues with their micro 9s though (and the solos) tainted the perception a bit since all the rage is for CCW. But it’s lame hearing store employees talk about stopping ordering Kimbers, calling it a coin toss whether it will work reliably brand new, and always just push the sigs and glocks.
I don’t like glocks and most sigs personally but I can still speak to their strengths and selling points without bashing Kimber. And as sharp or someone highlighted for me in another post. Kimber was built on their actual 1911 pistols. Not these micro and subcompact guns. A true Kimber 1911 .45 may not quite ever be a Dan Wesson 3k 1911…. Lol but I still almost traded my p229 legion yesterday towards a rapide 1911. The LGS was offering me 1k for store credit.

·
Registered
681 Posts
In twin cities, MN I mainly use Scheels, Arnzen Arms, and The Modern Sportsman. All 3 are Kimber dealers to various degrees. But the sales people always talk shit about Kimber and for some reason particular their customer service. Only time I sent a gun to Kimber was recently (I posted about it) and the whole process took a week to send, fix, and receive.
I do think some of the issues with their micro 9s though (and the solos) tainted the perception a bit since all the rage is for CCW. But it’s lame hearing store employees talk about stopping ordering Kimbers, calling it a coin toss whether it will work reliably brand new, and always just push the sigs and glocks.
I don’t like glocks and most sigs personally but I can still speak to their strengths and selling points without bashing Kimber. And as sharp or someone highlighted for me in another post. Kimber was built on their actual 1911 pistols. Not these micro and subcompact guns. A true Kimber 1911 .45 may not quite ever be a Dan Wesson 3k 1911…. Lol but I still almost traded my p229 legion yesterday towards a rapide 1911. The LGS was offering me 1k for store credit.
If a gun store employee starts talking smack about ANY particular brand I find someone else to talk to. I don't want to listen to their diatribe. A knowledgeable person will know the weak and strong points of the guns they sell and will convey it in a diplomatic manner without brand bashing. Just give me the facts and I'll quantify the information and then make my own decision about how I feel about it.

I just happen to own 3 Micro 9's that all run great by the way.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I just happen to own 3 Micro 9's that all run great by the way.
I have one, and it's going on five years (or whenever they first came out), and the little thing has never missed a beat. It's even starting to show some honest holster wear, as it gets carried alot under a t-shirt when I'm not carrying one of my Ultra's. The Micro gets the nod often when I don't feel like the bulk of the 1911 warrants it for that event. It's personal.

And when I hear that LGS bias BS, it's usually from some twit behind the counter that's at least 30 or 40 years younger than myself with ALL that experience that I somehow seem to have missed during all those years reading about guns, carrying them in the military, in civilian life, shooting them, hunting with them, and collecting the things for more years than they've been on the planet. But they 'know all', and are quite sure about it too.

Yeah, I recognize those guys too.....

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I owned a Micro 9 for over 5 years and carried it whenever it was hot weather, or I needed to wear clothes that weren’t “concealment friendly“. The rest of the time I carried my Ultra.

i never had an issue with my Micro 9 except the finish, which Kimber remedied within 10 days on their dime. I finally sold the Micro 9 recently and got more than I paid for it new. I bouget my first Kimber in the late 90s, a Stainless Classic full size which was a 70 series action. Never had an issue with it either. I sold that a few years ago for a a lot more than I paid for it. My Ultra, likewise has never had an issue. I still carrying and shooting it and it still looks new.

Frankly,I think the Micro 9 issues were early production lapses, or flawed final inspections. I’ve had issues with S&W, Ruger, and (of course) Taurus. None of those companies has been as responsive on warranty issues as Kimber.

My most honest and friendly LGS owner told me he just can’t afford to keep the inventory level of Kimbers that Kimber requires. He has to order from a distributor. I think that explains a lot of the “issues” some gun stores have with Kimber, but they should just keep their mouths shut, since they don’t know how great Kimber actually is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2 Kimbers now, and the 3rd is on the way. Sure I’ve had a couple of failures, but that’s to be expected. Most guys don’t shoot 50 rounds and think the gun is junk. Anti-kimberists don’t even consider breaking one in. I love my Glocks, but I don’t expect any 1911 to shoot the way a G19 does out of the box. I love finding that local guy that can’t get past his first 50 rounds in his Kimber. That means I get a good deal on a great gun!

61 - 66 of 66 Posts