Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 125996 View attachment 125997

...was at my FFL's indoor range Thursday morning and was going to shoot a couple of boxes thru my Kimber Micro .380... ...managed to shoot around 60 rounds with 12 or so of these FTE malfunctions... ...and yes my Micro is broken in and had been shooting flawlessly... ...gave Kimber a call, explained my issues & sent all my pics to the Kimber rep, got the RMA, packaged it up, and was at the Huntsville UPS Customer Service Center (not store) at 1600 hours when they opened back up... ...was received in Troy Alabama at Kimber at 1106 hours Friday morning...

...waiting to hear back...

...y'all have a great weekend...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. I sent it back 3X. The last time, Kimber replaced it. The 2nd one wasn’t much better. By then, I had lost all faith in Kimber’s gunsmiths, so I had a local gunsmith look at it. He messed with the extractor, commenting that he felt it was a bad design. After he worked his magic on it, it has been pretty reliable.

My advice, if it comes back from Kimber and still has problems, either let a gunsmith take a crack at it, or trade it in on a different firearm. Right now, you might get a good price for it on a trade.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same problem with mine. I sent it back 3X. The last time, Kimber replaced it. The 2nd one wasn’t much better. By then, I had lost all faith in Kimber’s gunsmiths, so I had a local gunsmith look at it. He messed with the extractor, commenting that he felt it was a bad design. After he worked his magic on it, it has been pretty reliable.

My advice, if it comes back from Kimber and still has problems, either let a gunsmith take a crack at it, or trade it in on a different firearm. Right now, you might get a good price for it on a trade.
...do you know what your gunsmith did to the extractor ???

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Sorry to hear your little darling got fussy OKB. I'd expect they'll get things dialed in at the shop. The way I look at it the warranty is part of what you paid for, use it. That being said the usual questions come to mind. Was this untested ammo, dirty, impotent? Do you pull the extractor and scrub the **** out of the claw and out of it's channel once in a while? What's the round count, those recoil springs are rated for a mere 1000 rounds and will screw up the timing when they get soft.
Keep us posted...

·
Registered
195 Posts
...do you know what your gunsmith did to the extractor ???
It was 2-3 yrs ago. I don‘t remember what I did yesterday, much less something that happened 2-3 yrs ago. I’m not a budding gunsmith either, so I don’t know the inner workings of firearms. I knew the repair to my Kimber would void its warranty, but given my frustration level with Kimber, I didn’t care. I figured it was my only hope for making the firearm functional. I know most other Kimber owners have nothing but glowing admiration for the company and their firearms. Maybe Kimber’s quality control and/or repair facilities have improved since I had my problems. I do have compliments for Kimber’s customer service folks. They were great with me on the phone.

·
Registered
195 Posts
…and yes, I still carry my Kimber .380 everyday. Despite my problems with the firearm and the company that made it, I still think it’s a great little everyday carry piece, and the .380 caliber is just fine for up close and personal use. That’s what personal defense is all about - up close and personal. 7+1 rds will get me through all but a prolonged gun battle like you see in the movies that practically never happen in real life.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to hear your little darling got fussy OKB. I'd expect they'll get things dialed in at the shop. The way I look at it the warranty is part of what you paid for, use it. That being said the usual questions come to mind. Was this untested ammo, dirty, impotent? Do you pull the extractor and scrub the **** out of the claw and out of it's channel once in a while? What's the round count, those recoil springs are rated for a mere 1000 rounds and will screw up the timing when they get soft.
Keep us posted...
...thx for your condolences... ...wasn't shooting reloads, ammo was Federal American Eagle, FMJ 95 grain--it was not dirty, untested, or impotent.... ...round count is 600+... ...did not pull the extractor... ...will pull extractor is it happens again...
Federal American Eagle, .380 ACP, FMJ, 95 Grain

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...the Kimber Micro .380 is back. Kimber reamed the barrel, polished the chamber and feed ramp, and adjusted/did something to the extractor... ...it is going to the range in the morning...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...the Kimber Micro .380 is back. Kimber reamed the barrel, polished the chamber and feed ramp, and adjusted/did something to the extractor... ...it is going to the range in the morning...
...didn't make it to the range got overcome by honey do's... ...will have to be Tuesday...

·
Registered
14,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have got to get your priorities right!!
...you got that right... ...it is just that Larry's (my local FFL and indoor range) is closed on Monday's and it is fixing to rain (read Thunderstorm) so will not go to Sharon Johnston Park (MCSSA) as it is not an indoor range altho the pistol range is covered

·
Registered
192 Posts
…and yes, I still carry my Kimber .380 everyday. Despite my problems with the firearm and the company that made it, I still think it’s a great little everyday carry piece, and the .380 caliber is just fine for up close and personal use. That’s what personal defense is all about - up close and personal. 7+1 rds will get me through all but a prolonged gun battle like you see in the movies that practically never happen in real life.
I feel the same way. If 6-8 doesn't get you out of trouble you are in world of hurt or a terrible shot. For carry I like either and Ultra or something in an CCO (officers grip).
That said, I was down to a small business run by two guys I used to frequent before I retired. One sits facing the doors with lots of glass. Not long back they heard shooting. A guy comes hobbling up the street and into an apartment building. Seems a bad drug deal (possibly gang). They shot at the guy 31 times and hit him in the leg once. At least there were no collateral damage done.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
6 rounds are great...unless there are 7 bad guys.
Predators tend to run in packs these days.
Be sure to carry spare mags and drill mag swaps often.

You dont get to choose the rules in a fight.
;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
6 rounds are great...unless there are 7 bad guys.
Predators tend to run in packs these days.
Be sure to carry spare mags and drill mag swaps often.

You dont get to choose the rules in a fight.
;)
For the Kimber .380, I have 7+1 in the firearm and 6 rds in a spare mag. The extra mag is so small, it is easy to carry in your pocket, That’s 14 rds available for an encounter, which is equal to or more than most of the popular concealed carry weapons, especially the new “wonder 9’s.” I assuming most folks with double stack mags aren’t carrying an extra mag due to the mag’s bulkiness. Granted, I have to make a mag change which would be awkward and slow, but the reality is, that anything more than a few rounds for an encounter is very rare If you believe the statistics. Big shootouts just aren’t much of a reality, except in the movies. That could change, however, due to the crazy times that seem to be approaching.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts