Kimber Talk Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
For the Kimber .380, I have 7+1 in the firearm and 6 rds in a spare mag. The extra mag is so small, it is easy to carry in your pocket, That’s 14 rds available for an encounter, which is equal to or more than most of the popular concealed carry weapons, especially the new “wonder 9’s.” I assuming most folks with double stack mags aren’t carrying an extra mag due to the mag’s bulkiness. Granted, I have to make a mag change which would be awkward and slow, but the reality is, that anything more than a few rounds for an encounter is very rare If you believe the statistics. Big shootouts just aren’t much of a reality, except in the movies. That could change, however, due to the crazy times that seem to be approaching.

I carry a 3 inch Kimber too.
An Ultra with 7+1, and two spare mags of .45 acp.
I carry the spares because under duress magazines can malfunction, which is far more common than an actual gun malfunction.

A wonder 9 with one mag becomes a paperweight if the mag fails.

Also train with your weapon.
alot.
Ask yourself how good are you REALLY with a 3 inch pocket rocket in a very high stress situation?
How about at 20 yards?
I dont carry spares to fight a huge gun battle.
I carry spares because predators are rarely alone, and shit happens under stress.

Situational awareness is the best SD tool you can have, but no body ever went through a SD shooting and said "I wish I had carried less ammo".

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bad Ninja - I agree with all you said, especially the need to be aware of your surroundings. I also strongly agree on the need to train with your CCW.

I participate weekly in USPSA competitions. I use a Sig P320 X-5. It’s big, heavy, and accurate, but it’s definitely not a CCW. I am contemplating getting a “Wonder 9“ pistol to replace the Kimber .380 that I carry every day and use it at the weekly USPSA shoots - train and compete with the weapon I carry. USPSA rules don’t allow for .380s to be used. I personally don’t think it matters so much what you carry, but how well you can draw and shoot what you carry.

On additional comment on mags, they should occasionally be disassembled and cleaned.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Bad Ninja - I agree with all you said, especially the need to be aware of your surroundings. I also strongly agree on the need to train with your CCW.

I participate weekly in USPSA competitions. I use a Sig P320 X-5. It’s big, heavy, and accurate, but it’s definitely not a CCW. I am contemplating getting a “Wonder 9“ pistol to replace the Kimber .380 that I carry every day and use it at the weekly USPSA shoots - train and compete with the weapon I carry. USPSA rules don’t allow for .380s to be used. I personally don’t think it matters so much what you carry, but how well you can draw and shoot what you carry.

On additional comment on mags, they should occasionally be disassembled and cleaned.
I agree mostly.
I was suggesting extra mags. Not for capacity, but as a backup in case of mag failure.
I carried spare 13 rounders when I CCWd my HK, which has probably the most reliable mags made.
Shit happens.
For a wonder 9 that will fill the USPSA itch,
look at the Walther Q5 match. Best trigger on a striker gun I have ever shot by far, stupid reliable.

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree mostly.
I was suggesting extra mags. Not for capacity, but as a backup in case of mag failure.
I carried spare 13 rounders when I CCWd my HK, which has probably the most reliable mags made.
Shit happens.
For a wonder 9 that will fill the USPSA itch,
look at the Walther Q5 match. Best trigger on a striker gun I have ever shot by far, stupid reliable.
I appreciate your suggestion Of the Q5 Match, but it would never be a CCW for me. It’s waaay to big and heavy. I was thinking more along the lines of a Sig P365 or a Springfield Hellcat. Neither of those are competition firearms, but they can be used in USPSA matches and can easily be used as CCWs. I compete to have fun and get better at shooting a pistol. There is no better way that I’ve found to prepare for a defensive use of my firearm than to compete weekly at those matches. It is also a good proving ground for weapons, mags, and ammo. I’ve seen lots of failures there, lots.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts

...speaking of "wonder 9s" I'll give a shout out to the good folks at CZ. I'm sure you see them at your events. Personally I'm partial to the 75D compact PCR. It's the LE version of the basic model (aluminum frame), 15 round capacity and about the size of a Glock 19. First round is DA and then SA until you decock her again. All sorts of aftermarket accessories and hop shop mods. Mine has Dawson Precision night sights and a CGW PRO package installed. In the pic the head shots were DA and the body SA. If the PCR is too big look into the 2075, a subcompact version that can use 10 or 15 round mags. The 2075 "RAMI" has been discontinued but they are still out there and sweet. I've got a bit over 2500 failure free rounds on mine. It's about the size of a Glock 26 with the 10 around mag and pretty dang accurate for a little pistol. There's also a number of other versions specifically designed for competition and carry in both hammer fired or striker.
Just some food for thought :)

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Cousinmark, that’s some fine shooting with your CZ. It’s hard for me to tell what folks are shooting at the USPSA matches, unless I ask, and due to the noise, it’s hard to carry on conversations that last more than 15 seconds. But I do know that a few guys are shooting CZs. I think they are great firearms. I almost bought a CZ P09 before I changed my mind and got the Sig P320 X-5. I’ll have to get back on CZ’s web site to look up the 75D compact PDR and 2075 subcompact. It’s been awhile since I went window shopping for CZs. I’ve held a few CZs in gun stores. They felt better in my hand than probably any other firearm I’ve had my paws on.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts