Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Micro 9 and overall I like it a lot, but I have an intermittent problem that is concerning: The hammer sometimes will not move toward the cocked position, and blocks the slide. So I cannot rack the slide, nor move the trigger back manually. After a little wiggling and sometimes pushing the hammer forward a nudge will allow it to then be pulled back (either manually, or when pushed by the slide). It feels like the hammer strut is getting stuck or something. I have field-stripped and cleaned and oiled a few times, but still happens. Once it loosens up it is fine. It may be my imagination, but it seems to happen more frequently when I leave the slide locked open for a few days (with the cable lock in place). Any ideas? I have run 300 rounds through it so far without any issues.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had numerous problems with the new Stainless Micro 9 I recently bought, not hammer sicking but others. I called Kimber got a retun number and prepaid shipping lable. I sent it in, in less than a week it was back, I have shot 4 mags through it since, so far no problem at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine did that when I first bought it. I installed a McCarbo spring kit (well worth the trouble) and cycled the slide several hundred times and the problem went away. It almost seemed like the hammer was hanging up in the half cock position. I haven't fired it yet but I can't duplicate the problem anymore when cocking the pistol or racking the slide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have now noticed that if I pull the hammer back with pressure to the left, or rack the slide with pressure to the left if works fine, but to the right gets caught up. I'm going to try racking a few hundred times (very satisfying sound!) and see how it goes before perhaps sending back. I'm loath to send stuff back if I can sort it myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have discovered the issue. The safety has a machined out channel that the foot of the hammer is supposed to clear when the safety is off, but there is either too much play in the holes in the frame for the safety, or the channel in the safety is not wide enough such that the right side of the safety that is a round peg and supposed to be entirely in the frame but due to the safety spring, this round non-machined portion protrudes into the hammer-well (or whatever that area is called). And due to the play in the hammer pivot, sometimes the foot of the hammer fouls on this edge that sticks out a little. Pushing the safety fully into the frame gives it the correct clearance, but the spring pushes the safety to the left enough to cause the problem.

I will call Kimber at lunch and see if they can just send me a new safety because perhaps mine has a too narrow machined portion. Regardless of what they say, I will probably just give a tiny touch with a file to the right wall of the channel on the safety (see attached photo) just enough to not have the hammer get stuck.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Nice bit of troubleshooting, there. I would probably do the same. Squeeze them for free parts, and if that doesn't work, file down the existing part. There are other surfaces you can polish up on the safety and hammer to get the operation to be smoother. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice bit of troubleshooting, there. I would probably do the same. Squeeze them for free parts, and if that doesn't work, file down the existing part. There are other surfaces you can polish up on the safety and hammer to get the operation to be smoother. Have fun with it.
I just got off the phone with them, and they said they don't send out safeties for the Micro 9 because they need to do a little work to ensure the safety matches each gun. So they want me to send it back. Basically sounds like they are just going to file it down or otherwise machine out the channel a bit. I'd rather do that myself than part with it for 2-4 weeks. And polishing... That's a whole world of fun I never even considered!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
they said they don't send out safeties for the Micro 9 because they need to do a little work to ensure the safety matches each gun.
Right... just like they do a little work on every new gun to ensure the safety matches the gun.
Maybe they should do a little MORE work on each gun before they send it out.
It's just a f'in gun, it's not rocket science. Leslie Edelman is clearly no Elon Musk.

·
Registered
13,705 Posts
I just got off the phone with them, and they said they don't send out safeties for the Micro 9 because they need to do a little work to ensure the safety matches each gun. So they want me to send it back. Basically sounds like they are just going to file it down or otherwise machine out the channel a bit. I'd rather do that myself than part with it for 2-4 weeks. And polishing... That's a whole world of fun I never even considered!
First, you do you however I'll say this: Keep in mind Kimber is looking at this from a legal standpoint. Makes no difference how skillful you are with a file, polishing. Any even minor Bubba smithin' by your hand "Could" void any future warranty claims you might submit. It wouldn't be the first time owner work caused denied warranty. I say there is merit in sending it back for inspection and spec checking. I would be surprised if return and repairs took longer than 2 weeks three tops.
But I'm just an old guy making suggestions...what do I know?

·
Super Moderator
37,615 Posts
Arland is right, it's the lawyers that stop them from sending you replacement parts under the warranty. Modify the gun, then send it in for warranty work and they will first return the gun to factory specs and charge you for the parts before repairing it.

Posted in the "Kimber Forum Announcements" sub forum.
The first stickey "Before You Return A Gun To Kimber For Repair"

When you contact customer service about returning a gun to Kimber for warranty work they send you a PDF that instructs you on what and how to do it. On that instruction sheet are two green colored boxes titled:

"Does your gun have any aftermarket parts and/or modifications?
If so, please be aware that Kimber is required to restore your gun to factory specifications before performing any work to the gun. Please also note that this will be at your expense.

This notice is posted twice on the page, once for Pistols and a second time for Rifles.

This is why we say when you replace a factory part on your Kimber remember to save the old one so you can reinstall them before you send the gun back to the factory for service. If you fail to do this Kimber will do it for you and charge you for parts before returning the gun to you. They will not return a modified gun to you, it must meet factory specs before they can release it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the information about the return process, guys. Good to know! I knew the moment I even THOUGHT about doing any work myself that I'd be voiding my warranty... But in exchange, I now know a lot more about the specifics of how this pistol works, and I am now (post self-repair) more confident carrying it.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
You did it? Good on ya. Men who fix things walk around with their heads held high, with the confidence of self-reliance and knowledge of how the world operates. We fear no mealy-mouthed lawyers or pencil-pushing docker rockers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You did it? Good on ya. Men who fix things walk around with their heads held high, with the confidence of self-reliance and knowledge of how the world operates. We fear no mealy-mouthed lawyers or pencil-pushing docker rockers.
I see we are birds of a feather!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts