Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
38,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Happy grandparents day to all you grandparents out there.

·
Administrator
38,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honestly never remember it, but my grandchildren do, they had me over to their house for lunch today. It was a simple meal prepared by my 4 grandchildren, the youngest, (my granddaughter) made cupcakes for desert.

History of Grandparents Day
In 1969, nine-year-old Russell Capper sent President Nixon a letter suggesting that a day should be set aside in order to celebrate grandparents. On June 12, 1969, he received a letter back from Rose Mary Woods — Personal Secretary to the President — reading, “Dear Russell, Thank you for your letter to President Nixon. Your suggestion regarding a Grandparent’s Day is appreciated, but the President ordinarily issues proclamations designating periods for special observance only when a Congressional resolution authorizes him to do so. With best wishes, Sincerely, Rose Mary Woods Personal Secretary to the President.”

Following this letter, Marian McQuade was recognized nationally by the U.S. Senate and by President Jimmy Carter as the founder of National Grandparents Day. McQuade wanted to educate the youth about the importance of seniors and the contributions they have made throughout history. She urged the youth to “adopt” a grandparent and learn more about their lives, challenges, and desires for the future.

In 1977, Senator Randolph, with the help of other senators, introduced a joint resolution to the senate requesting the president to “issue annually a proclamation designating the first Sunday of September after Labor Day of each year as ‘National Grandparents’ Day’.” Congress passed the legislation, proclaiming the first Sunday after Labor Day as National Grandparent’s Day. On August 3, 1978, Jimmy Carter signed the proclamation, and the day was finally celebrated the following year.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
...thx Chuck... ...never heard of it either... ...did go out to eat at Bravo... ...an Italian Kitchen... using a gift card that we got from them at Christmas... ...and yes, food and service at Bravo is great...

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Hm. Well, I'd probably feel different about this if I had any. I do not. In the event that any of you do, make the most of it. In a world full of things that won't last forever, they tend to be some of the first to go...

Reactions: Lisa93

·
Registered
583 Posts
Interesting history lesson. Did not know there was such a day. Obviously my grandchildren are unaware of it too or at least until Grandpa tells them about it.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Thanks Chuck, I didn't know about today either. No word from our 4 grands. hmmmm

·
Registered
473 Posts
Interesting history lesson. Did not know there was such a day. Obviously my grandchildren are unaware of it too or at least until Grandpa tells them about it.
Just to give u a heads up Buds has the Ultra on sale for $722 + tax

·
Registered
583 Posts
Did u get your gun back from kimber?
No...haven't heard from them. I have confirmation they received it midweek. I'm going to call them Monday.

·
Registered
473 Posts
No...haven't heard from them. I have confirmation they received it midweek. I'm going to call them Monday.
They will say 2 to 3 weeks, you’ll have it back in 7 to 8 days from when they received it. That was my experience

·
Registered
583 Posts
They will say 2 to 3 weeks, you’ll have it back in 7 to 8 days from when they received it. That was my experience
Ironically I received an email from Kimber this evening saying my slide shipped today. Probably won't get underway until Monday. Pretty fair turnaround time. We'll see how long it takes UPS to get it here.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ironically I received an email from Kimber this evening saying my slide shipped today. Probably won't get underway until Monday. Pretty fair turnaround time. We'll see how long it takes UPS to get it here.
Tuesday, Wednesday @ the latest. Holster it in leather I do not recommend kydex it will wear the finish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts