Kimber Talk Forums banner

Hellcat or Micro 9

19K views 75 replies 20 participants last post by  JMag1 
#1 ·
Purchased a hellcat about 8 months ago & barely used it. Liked it when I bought nice gun. Since then I purchased a SS LW & fell in love with it, love the way the trigger feels & accuracy, then in April I bought a pro carry 2 & obviously I’m in love with that puppy, just love the way Kimber’s shoot & feel. So I’m thinking of trading the hellcat for a Micro 9 for EDC, opposed to the hellcat. I was thinking of using the pro carry and ordered a milt sparks versa max to holster it for 300. With the belt. So my thoughts are cancel the the holster & put that towards the micro 9 if I decide to trade my hellcat. At my LGS without seeing my hellcat he offered me $250. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated
paul

#4 ·
The Kimbers shoot smoother I wouldn’t say better. My Hellcat is a one hole gun at 0 to 10 yards. Had to drift the rear sight to get it on line. (Was shooting left 3” from factory but perfect up and down). It’s as accurate as any of my Kimbers, BUT doesn’t compare with trigger pull, fit and finish, feel and I can shoot my Kimbers faster and stay on target. It is a great little pocket gun for Summer carry which is what I bought it for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Since I live in Florida where it is hot, perhaps I should keep my Hellcat for EDC kill the $300 holster & belt for the Pro carry opposed to using that for a EDC. Pass on buying a micro & same my $$. Next range trip I will start practicing using the Hellcat just got addicted to the trigger on the Kimber’s

#6 ·
You could probably get what you paid for it if you advertise it in the right venue, say like GunBroker.

The Hellcat of course, is a striker fired compared to the 1911 style single action, cocked and locked Micro 9. I have a Shield Plus and a Sig P365XL that I alternate for EDC as I prefer a striker fired pistol. My Micro 9 is reserved for deeper cover applications when dress doesn't allow anything else.

#7 ·
Guess you need to sort this out and decide if you want a plastic wonder or an all metal pistol. Striker fired is not for me, never has been. I'm a dedicated single action auto guy, and it MUST be hammer fired. When I grab one of my pistols, I want to SEE the hammer and what attitude it is in, not wondering about the condition.

The Hellcat probably does its job, but to me, a Kimber Micro is a fine looking pistol, and the HC looks sort of cobbled together with lots of broken lines. Yeah, I know aesthetics won't make it shoot any better, but life is too short to own and shoot ugly guns. At least to me. My Micro 9 has right at 600 trouble-free rounds downrange, but really doesn't get shot that much, as I've got dedicated range guns for that. It's just a sweet looking and even better shooting little pistol.

#8 ·
I’m like u once i purchased the 2 Kimber’s I have I’m hooked on the 1911 platform Plus I just love the trigger on the kimber. That is why I’m contemplating trading the Hellcat for the micro 9 for EDC. This way I don’t have to spend $300 for a milt sparks holster & belt to carry the pro carry 2 for EDC. The micro would be an easier conceal like the hellcat since I’m in Fl. Usually wearing shorts & a tee. And I agree life is to short to own an ugly gun.

#9 · (Edited)
Everyone has a preference. Here’s my thought as it pertains to me. Take it for what it’s worth.

I own both… Kimber Micro 9 and SA Hellcat OSP.

Here’s some facts first:

My Kimber has the crimson trace laser grips while my Hellcat has the SMSc Red Dot sight.

The Hellcat has a minimum capacity of 11+1 and the Micro 9’s minimum capacity is 7+1.

Both pistols are the same size (width and height) so concealing it is virtually the same.

Micro 9 has a traditional safety while the Hellcat has a trigger safety.

Now my opinion (please remember this is my opinion and other opinions may vary):

I live in South Florida and the heat’s unbearable at times. So wearing IWB doesn’t happen very often. 26 out of 30 days, I’m wearing these OWB at the three o’clock position. I use a leather holster cause I sweat. I’m 205# and 5’10”. So I’m not a big guy but I’m not small either.

Being in law enforcement in the past, I carried a Glock 35 (.40 S&W) that held 15+1, plus 2 additional magazines with 15 rounds each. The reason we did this is to ensure we had enough ammo, just in case.

I take this same thought process with me with my EDC. Depending where I’m going, the more crowded the place, the more rounds I carry. I will carry two additional magazines if I’m going to a busy place, just in case. But I may not carry any additional magazines at all if I’m just going to a friends house.

With all this being said, and weighing the facts that I stated above, I choose the Hellcat 80% of the time as my EDC. You cannot beat capacity in my opinion.

I hope this helps you make a decision.

#10 ·
Everyone has a preference. Here’s my thought as it pertains to me. Take it for what it’s worth.

I own both… Kimber Micro 9 and SA Hellcat OSP.

Here’s some facts first:

My Kimber has the crimson trace laser grips while my Hellcat has the SMSc Red Dot sight.

The Hellcat has a minimum capacity of 11+1 and the Micro 9’s minimum capacity is 7+1.

Both pistols are the same size (width and height) so concealing it virtually the same.

Micro 9 has a traditional safety while the Hellcat has a trigger safety.

Now my opinion (please remember this is my opinion and other opinions may vary):

I live in South Florida and the hearts unbearable at times. So wearing IWB doesn’t happen very often. 26 out of 30 days, I’m wearing these OWB at the three o’clock position. I use leather holster cause I sweat. I’m 205# and 5’10”. So I’m not a big guy but I’m not small either.

Being in law enforcement in the past, I carried a Glock 35 (.40 S&W) that held 15+1. Plus 2 additional magazines with 15 rounds each. The reason we did this is to ensure we had enough ammo, just in case.

I take this same thought process with me with my EDC. Depending where I’m going, the more crowded the place, the more rounds I carry. I will carry two additional magazines if I’m going to a busy place. But I may not carry any additional magazines at all if I’m going to a friends house.

With all this being said and weighing the facts that I stated above, I chose the Hellcat 80% of the time for my EDC. You cannot beat capacity in my opinion.

I hope this helps you make a decision.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

#11 ·
Ditto on that. The Hellcat holds more rounds and I carry a 15 round backup mag for it. Same size as the Micro but 12 rounds to 8 and no safety to deal with (although I still catch myself thumbing off the safety that’s not there) The Hellcat has become my Summer Pocket carry and my Sig938 or Micro 380 are now on my ankle instead of my pocket. If anything has taught us something in the last year and a half is always be prepared and have as much ammo as needed. With the Hellcat I have 27 rounds on hand with the extra mag.

#13 ·
Ditto on that. The Hellcat holds more rounds and I carry a 15 round backup mag for it. Same size as the Micro but 12 rounds to 8 and no safety to deal with (although I still catch myself thumbing off the safety that’s not there) The Hellcat has become my Summer Pocket carry and my Sig938 or Micro 380 are now on my ankle instead of my pocket. If anything has taught us something in the last year and a half is always be prepared and have as much ammo as needed. With the Hellcat I have 27 rounds on hand with the extra mag.

Good point. Fortunately I have never been in a situation where I had to use it. Hopefully will never be in one

#14 ·
I wouldn’t sell that Hellcat for $250 nowadays. Cancel the holster for now. Use the money for your Micro 9. Pickup a Winthrop holster for your Hellcat. They are inexpensive and a solid holster. Buy your Micro 9 and shoot both. The one you shoot the best and trust gets the Milt Sparks Holster. I get the capability being important but shot placement always seems to be the most important factor in defending yourself.

#15 ·
Good point. If I sell it would be to a private party the LGS will look to steal it. What do feel would be a fair selling price comes with box & everything 4 13 round mags & 1 11 round mag also upgraded night fusion front & rear sights original are included like new condition maybe 300 rounds thru it.thanks

#18 ·
See what their going for on Gun Broker. Me personally I would keep it and shoot it. Rotate it into your carry once in a while.

I think I’m gonna kill my milt sparks holster & belt for $300. & just might buy the micro 9 and I can use my Desantis pocket holster for the hellcat which is how I normally carry it
thanks again for the advice

#21 ·
For a knock around sub compact it's going to be hard to beat the Hellcat or 365. As far as replacement costs go, if you have one bought before the prices blew up consider what they're going for now. I'd say be happy and hold onto it. Personally a PRO sized gun is just too big for practical carry anyways. I'm also not a fan of carrying a "too nice" expensive shooter just because? If that little Hellcat is vetted at the range and you are adept with the DA trigger I say use it as it was designed to be used, comfortably concealed.
JMO...

#26 ·
At my LGS without seeing my hellcat he offered me $250. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated
I know that gun stores need to make a buck, but if all I could get for the Hellcat was $250, I'd just hold onto it.

But I think you're REAL question is Hellcat vs Micro 9. For concealed carry, I prefer striker-fired or some kind of DA variant. I'd choose the Hellcat from the two you mentioned, but at least take a look at the Sig P365. I prefer the longer-pull style trigger, and with Magguts magazine springs, the standard magazine capacity is bumped up to 12 rounds.

#50 ·
I know that gun stores need to make a buck, but if all I could get for the Hellcat was $250, I'd just hold onto it.

But I think you're REAL question is Hellcat vs Micro 9. For concealed carry, I prefer striker-fired or some kind of DA variant. I'd choose the Hellcat from the two you mentioned, but at least take a look at the Sig P365. I prefer the longer-pull style trigger, and with Magguts magazine springs, the standard magazine capacity is bumped up to 12 rounds.
I checked out p 365 at the store where I got the hellcat. I much preferred the grip of the hellcat. It felt better for my hand.

#29 ·
All this talk about capacity in a EDC pistol. Try to keep in mind that the average number of shots fired in armed encounters (FBI reports) is 2.5 shots.

So unless you anticipate an armed encounter with an armed band of Antifa, BLM wacko's or terrorists, one loaded mag from any handgun will most likely suffice. But you're free to pack as many pounds of spare ammo as you care to during your daily routine.

#30 ·
All this talk about capacity in a EDC pistol. Try to keep in mind that the average number of shots fired in armed encounters (FBI reports) is 2.5 shots.

So unless you anticipate an armed encounter with an armed band of Antifa, BLM wacko's or terrorists, one loaded mag from any handgun will most likely suffice. But you're free to pack as many pounds of spare ammo as you care to during your daily routine.
That might have been true a few years ago. Now they run in packs. The chances of being accosted by two or more persons has doubled or more. That six shooter or your 7+1 auto Might not be enough to save your life.

#42 ·
Well I used to have a Micro 9. I traded it in a Aegis Elite Ultra. You would be better off with a Ultra, a true 1911 style frame and workings. There is really not that much difference between the too as far as weight and size goes.. I would rather have 8 ashtrays, 7 in the clip 1 in the tube. I carry mine everyday in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB in the kidney carry, or if the need for a tucked shirt arises, I'll wear it in a belly band w/ 2 extra clips. You can't tell I'm even carrying it. BTW you can get an Ultra in 9mm. You should do yourself a favor and steer and steer clear of the Micro.. Do a quick search on Micro problems, you will see what I am talking about.. Run away from the Micro 380, or a Solo.. Just my 2 cents.
Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Shotgun Metal

#45 ·
Well I used to have a Micro 9. I traded it in a Aegis Elite Ultra. You would be better off with a Ultra, a true 1911 style frame and workings. There is really not that much difference between the too as far as weight and size goes.. I would rather have 8 ashtrays, 7 in the clip 1 in the tube. I carry mine everyday in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB in the kidney carry, or if the need for a tucked shirt arises, I'll wear it in a belly band w/ 2 extra clips. You can't tell I'm even carrying it. BTW you can get an Ultra in 9mm. You should do yourself a favor and steer and steer clear of the Micro.. Do a quick search on Micro problems, you will see what I am talking about.. Run away from the Micro 380, or a Solo.. Just my 2 cents.
That's an interesting synopsis. You read about a few with problems and judge them all. I have 3 Micro 9's and a Micro 380...each have shot several hundred rounds...and not ONE malfunction.

#47 ·
Humm, I see a forum pattern here IRT the Micro 9's.

I have three Kimber Ultra's in nine and .45, and a Micro 9. Total round count for these three inchers is now hovering right at 2,400 rounds total, combined. So far to date, I've got nothing to whine about. All three continue to function 100%, and I'm a picky bugger when it comes to handgun reliability. This is considering I shoot primarily my own handloads, and all my EDC's get carry ammo checked on a regular basis.

With all the complaints about the little M9, I'm starting to think it's operator error; limp wrist, failed maintenance, ammo issues, whatever. Or I'm so lucky, that buying a lottery ticket is now mandatory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.