Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I became a Kimber owner two years ago while looking for an EDC. As the owner of a 1941 M1911A1 for many years, I've got a soft spot for .45s so that's where I started my search. I have watched and heard the old and tired debate over 9mm vs 45 effectiveness and don't care much about it. A good 45 HP makes a very large hole and that gives me more confidence than putting 10 lesser rounds in a target. I was reading Jeff Cooper's work back in the 80's and truly believe that if you can't solve your problem with 7 or 8 rounds, 15 probably won't make much difference. Anyway, I digress.

I have a good friend who I was bouncing EDC ideas off and most of them were economy models. His words were something like "Do you want to bet your family's lives on a $200 handgun?". Well, Daddy didn't raise a fool. He steered me to Kimber and I fell in love with the two tone Pro Carry II. It is a great handgun and I intend to add a 5" model at some point.

As for me personally, I live in Louisville, KY with my wife of 42 years, and intend to retire here in about 3 years when I'm 65+. I have been playing guitar for many years so that's my other money pit, although I've slowed down on that (collecting). I also play golf very poorly, but do enjoy it. I've had a successful career in IT, which I'm wrapping up with a Work From Home situation that is a very nice precursor to retirement, I think.

Thank you for the warm welcome. We'll be talking.

·
Super Moderator
38,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Dimondale, Mi. Jekyl. If you get a chance, check out an Ultra (3") Kimber. You'll be amazed at how accurately they shoot and how easily you can conceal them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I became a Kimber owner two years ago while looking for an EDC. As the owner of a 1941 M1911A1 for many years, I've got a soft spot for .45s so that's where I started my search. I have watched and heard the old and tired debate over 9mm vs 45 effectiveness and don't care much about it. A good 45 HP makes a very large hole and that gives me more confidence than putting 10 lesser rounds in a target. I was reading Jeff Cooper's work back in the 80's and truly believe that if you can't solve your problem with 7 or 8 rounds, 15 probably won't make much difference. Anyway, I digress.

I have a good friend who I was bouncing EDC ideas off and most of them were economy models. His words were something like "Do you want to bet your family's lives on a $200 handgun?". Well, Daddy didn't raise a fool. He steered me to Kimber and I fell in love with the two tone Pro Carry II. It is a great handgun and I intend to add a 5" model at some point.

As for me personally, I live in Louisville, KY with my wife of 42 years, and intend to retire here in about 3 years when I'm 65+. I have been playing guitar for many years so that's my other money pit, although I've slowed down on that (collecting). I also play golf very poorly, but do enjoy it. I've had a successful career in IT, which I'm wrapping up with a Work From Home situation that is a very nice precursor to retirement, I think.

Welcome from Fl. in January I got the bug for a new gun bought a Hellcat nice gun but after I discovered Kimber I was done. I love the 1911 platform. Bought A 5” LWSS then the Procarry 2 & mostly recently a micro Rapide for EDC. All run beautiful. By the way I went with 9mm since ammo less money & better availability. God forbid I have to use deadly force one or 2 shots should complete the job.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
Saw your pic of the '41 in the other thread.
Thats a sweet piece! Very nice.
Your Pro Carry is very nice too.

There is no replacement for displacement.
;)
9mm is a fine round but .45 acp is the Lord's caliber. There are a ton of YouTube body can videos of LEO putting 5, 6, 7 rounds of 9mm into a violent criminal before they can't stop the threat. Even then the bad guy lives in alot of these cases.
.45 acp? lol. None.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Jekyl, welcome to the site from Tennessee. I agree with Chuck, before your next purchase check out the Ultra (all Ultra's have 3" barrels) models they make great EDC pistols.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the forums.
Saw your pic of the '41 in the other thread.
Thats a sweet piece! Very nice.
Your Pro Carry is very nice too.

There is no replacement for displacement.
;)
9mm is a fine round but .45 acp is the Lord's caliber. There are a ton of YouTube body can videos of LEO putting 5, 6, 7 rounds of 9mm into a violent criminal before they can't stop the threat. Even then the bad guy lives in alot of these cases.
.45 acp? lol. None.
That old WWII era .45 still shoots like a SOB. Always has. I think I paid 2 or 300 dollars for it from a co-worker in the mid-80's. It will belong to one of my kids someday. Sam Colt didn't make crap.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
That old WWII era .45 still shoots like a SOB. Always has. I think I paid 2 or 300 dollars for it from a co-worker in the mid-80's. It will belong to one of my kids someday. Sam Colt didn't make crap.
You did good.
Those go for several times that.
I wish I could find one for twice that..lol.
WWII Colts are nice guns.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will take the numerous advice on checking out a 3" Ultra. I bought the 4" Pro Carry in order to EDC with it, if I find a 3" will do the trick, then I'll be faced with "do I sell the Pro and get a 3" or keep them both?

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will take the numerous advice on checking out a 3" Ultra. I bought the 4" Pro Carry in order to EDC with it, if I find a 3" will do the trick, then I'll be faced with "do I sell the Pro and get a 3" or keep them both?
Well, you are not a true Addict if your answer is not "KEEP BOTH!"

Reactions: JC45

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
What you like stainless, two tone, blued? CDP Ultra, Stainless Raptor, SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra.
CDP Ultra II.jpg
DSC_0003.JPG
SIS Custom Pro Ultra.jpg

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts