Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been looking for a .410 lever action for quite a while. Really wanted the Marlin version but came across this Henry a guy near me was selling so I scooped it up. This gun is based on the Henry 45-70 lever action. It is a sweet little shotgun. The only issue I had with it was the rubberized buttplate (pad). Why would anyone need a recoil pad on a .410 ?? I found the rubber buttpad would drag on my shirt or jacket when shouldering it. It was just enough to be annoying and the LoP was just a bit too much for Ms Tejun to shoot it. I reached out to Henry only to find that this was the only option they had for this version. I spent a few evenings searching the web for a buttplate I could fit to the stock but didn't have much luck. I remembered I had purchased some knife scale blanks and took one of them out to check. It was a perfect size to use so I started a little project to make my own buttplate. Pictures attached show the progress and final product. Came out great, just what I envisioned when I started.

Rectangle Hood Wood Floor Font
Black Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting
Rectangle Hood Wood Floor Font
Wood Material property Writing implement Tints and shades Feather
Finger Thumb Sewing Jigging Sewing needle
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Hood Musical instrument Wood Bumper Eyewear
Textile Sleeve Collar Dress shirt Feather

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
NICE! I love it when a plan comes together. Looks way better than anything factory to me, you did a awesome job on that butt plate. Snake gun??

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I had been looking for a .410 lever action for quite a while. Really wanted the Marlin version but came across this Henry a guy near me was selling so I scooped it up. This gun is based on the Henry 45-70 lever action. It is a sweet little shotgun. The only issue I had with it was the rubberized buttplate (pad). Why would anyone need a recoil pad on a .410 ?? I found the rubber buttpad would drag on my shirt or jacket when shouldering it. It was just enough to be annoying and the LoP was just a bit too much for Ms Tejun to shoot it. I reached out to Henry only to find that this was the only option they had for this version. I spent a few evenings searching the web for a buttplate I could fit to the stock but didn't have much luck. I remembered I had purchased some knife scale blanks and took one of them out to check. It was a perfect size to use so I started a little project to make my own buttplate. Pictures attached show the progress and final product. Came out great, just what I envisioned when I started.

View attachment 128317 View attachment 128316 View attachment 128317 View attachment 128318 View attachment 128319 View attachment 128320 View attachment 128321 View attachment 128322
Fantastic job!
My LGS has one of those in stock, as well as the Mare's leg 410.
I have the Mare's leg in .22lr.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
NICE 👍🏻

..."that's why you belong on the ALL-STAR TEAM" Tejun !!!

My offer still stands should you need to verify function of the new addition to your enviable collection 😬

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey CousinMark !! Thanks for that compliment. hard To believe but I do have several that I’ve not shot yet, but I did christen the Henry .410 already. It comes with full choke tube and has a great pattern at 30 yds

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looks great!

Is that scale made of wood or something like G10? What material did you use for the spacer?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Hey CousinMark !! Thanks for that compliment. hard To believe but I do have several that I’ve not shot yet, but I did christen the Henry .410 already. It comes with full choke tube and has a great pattern at 30 yds
I'm glad to hear you were able to show the little Henry some love. I fondled a Henry .22 that was on display at my range a while ago and was quite impressed. The fit and finish were top notch and the action was "smooth as owl $hit". I'd expect the .410 is as well. Should be an ideal snake charmer for out at the new spread 😎

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad to hear you were able to show the little Henry some love. I fondled a Henry .22 that was on display at my range a while ago and was quite impressed. The fit and finish were top notch and the action was "smooth as owl $hit". I'd expect the .410 is as well. Should be an ideal snake charmer for out at the new spread 😎
Was the 22 you fondled a lever or pump ? I have octagon barrel pumps in 22 LR and 22 WMR. I find them to be a bit on stiff side. The 410 is smooth as butter though

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Was the 22 you fondled a lever or pump ? I have octagon barrel pumps in 22 LR and 22 WMR. I find them to be a bit on stiff side. The 410 is smooth as butter though
Yes indeed, the rifle I openly coveted was a lever action. It was smoother than my old JM Marlin 39A or any of the Winchesters I've ever handled? It reminded me of a Browning BL22 I had years ago, well fitted and "buttery". The Browning however only liked CCI Stinger ammo and that irked me so she got traded off...

...as far as pump actions go I can say I've never actually cycled one that wasn't kinda clunky? I have limited experience with them so truthfully that's not saying much.

Out of curiosity, have you deployed that electric alligator of yours at the new casa 😁

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes indeed, the rifle I openly coveted was a lever action. It was smoother than my old JM Marlin 39A or any of the Winchesters I've ever handled? It reminded me of a Browning BL22 I had years ago, well fitted and "buttery". The Browning however only liked CCI Stinger ammo and that irked me so she got traded off...

...as far as pump actions go I can say I've never actually cycled one that wasn't kinda clunky? I have limited experience with them so truthfully that's not saying much.

Out of curiosity, have you deployed that electric alligator of yours at the new casa 😁
My Winchester Pump gallery gun is pretty smooth. My Rossi rimfire pumps are ok but not as good as the Winchester but who knows how many thousand rounds have gone through that little shooter.

Is this the alligator you are talking about:
84287142 DE7E 46DD B0F1 87913906409C - YouTube

Haven't deployed it yet, but do have a neighbor in mind to send it swimming under their boat house this summer :)

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
That alligator would be funny until I blew it out of the water with my .44magnum.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
That alligator would be funny until I blew it out of the water with my .44magnum.
...unless of course the first glance of Tejun's toy didn't send you into cardiac arrest! If you're in small boat or swimming seeing alligator eyes close ranks right up there with catching a glimpse of a near by shark fin. Both can evoke an innate pang of terror 😳

·
Administrator
40,100 Posts
I've got to get one of those gator heads to run in the river when the kayakers go by.

Reactions: WaveGuy and 2sharp2

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've got to get one of those gator heads to run in the river when the kayakers go by.
Yea, that’d be fun wouldn’t it. I’ll try to find where I got it. I think it was Amazon then bought a remote controlled boat that I connected to bottom

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...unless of course the first glance of Tejun's toy didn't send you into cardiac arrest! If you're in small boat or swimming seeing alligator eyes close ranks right up there with catching a glimpse of a near by shark fin. Both can evoke an innate pang of terror 😳
In certain areas of southwest Louisiana where I used to fish, you had to crank a bass or crappie in as fast as you could because the gators would git em if you didn’t. :oops:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Hey CousinMark, when you mentioned the Henry the lever action rimfire, you got me thinking about why I didn’t have one and then I remembered I had bought a Henry Lever Action in .17 HMR. Dug it out of safe and plan to go shoot it some maybe tomorrow when it’s warmer. I had put a Leupold rimfire scope on it and believe it’s only been bore sighted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts