Kimber Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right! You guys are wearing me down! Getting more and more interested in an ultra! Just wondering what bullet weight y’all prefer in them. I’ve been running factory 230s in my custom II, but will eventually start handloading for it. An ultra may be awhile off, but these days you have to pick up components when you can find em! So, stay with 230 or go lighter? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I prefer 230g in mine.
UCII .45
My groups get wider and wilder with lighter stuff, but I havent loaded any of it.
Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
I also use 230gr in my Ultra TLE. Shoot them and 185gr and see which you like best. It really is about what works for you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also use 230gr in my Ultra TLE. Shoot them and 185gr and see which you like best. It really is about what works for you.
Thanks guys already! Sounding like it may be simple...just one bullet weight! I like it that way! I shoot the same loads in both my micro 9 and evo, and it does well in both. Was kinda curious if the recoil would be drastically different from my custom II in a 3/4 lb. lighter gun with the 230s. It’s sounding like that’s no “biggie”! Aaaah, the temptations!!! But I’ll have to FIND an ultra first! JC45, those ultra TLEs sure look nice!

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Thanks guys already! Sounding like it may be simple...just one bullet weight! I like it that way! I shoot the same loads in both my micro 9 and evo, and it does well in both. Was kinda curious if the recoil would be drastically different from my custom II in a 3/4 lb. lighter gun with the 230s. It’s sounding like that’s no “biggie”! Aaaah, the temptations!!! But I’ll have to FIND an ultra first! JC45, those ultra TLEs sure look nice!
I love this gun. It’s one of my favorites. I was a little skeptical about a 45 in a 3” 1911. It really is nice to shoot and not overbearing like other small 45’s I’ve owned.
A member on the forum posted a sale years ago before Christmas for this SS Ultra TLE II (old stock) for $699 and free shipping. I couldn’t turn it down.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys already! Sounding like it may be simple...just one bullet weight! I like it that way! I shoot the same loads in both my micro 9 and evo, and it does well in both. Was kinda curious if the recoil would be drastically different from my custom II in a 3/4 lb. lighter gun with the 230s. It’s sounding like that’s no “biggie”! Aaaah, the temptations!!! But I’ll have to FIND an ultra first! JC45, those ultra TLEs sure look nice
I love this gun. It’s one of my favorites. I was a little skeptical about a 45 in a 3” 1911. It really is nice to shoot and not overbearing like other small 45’s I’ve owned.
A member on the forum posted a sale years ago before Christmas for this SS Ultra TLE II (old stock) for $699 and free shipping. I couldn’t turn it down.
You have to take those opportunities when you find em for sure! I bought my micro 380 on the same kind of deal, when they changed to the night sights. Thanks for the comment on your ultra being nice to shoot too! My custom surprised me at how tame it was with 230s. Didn’t know about something as light as the ultra.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Thanks guys already! Sounding like it may be simple...just one bullet weight! I like it that way! I shoot the same loads in both my micro 9 and evo, and it does well in both. Was kinda curious if the recoil would be drastically different from my custom II in a 3/4 lb. lighter gun with the 230s. It’s sounding like that’s no “biggie”! Aaaah, the temptations!!! But I’ll have to FIND an ultra first! JC45, those ultra TLEs sure look nice

You have to take those opportunities when you find em for sure! I bought my micro 380 on the same kind of deal, when they changed to the night sights. Thanks for the comment on your ultra being nice to shoot too! My custom surprised me at how tame it was with 230s. Didn’t know about something as light as the ultra.
I was really surprised how well and how manageable it is to shoot. You won’t be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
230 runs fine in all my Ultras but I handload 200 grain round nose and 185 grain SWC for target ammo. I prefer the 185 and 200 grain. The best load I’ve had in Defence ammo is the Golden Sabre 185 Grain bonded +P. Accurate and a beast of a 45 load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
230 runs fine in all my Ultras but I handload 200 grain round nose and 185 grain SWC for target ammo. I prefer the 185 and 200 grain. The best load I’ve had in Defence ammo is the Golden Sabre 185 Grain bonded +P. Accurate and a beast of a 45 load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you tell a lot of difference in felt recoil? I’m not overly sensitive, but range days should be enjoyable, not punishing!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in the 230 gr camp. That's what I run in my Ultra TLE.
Seems to be running about 90% for the 230s! I guess it’s about like me with my 45 colt revolvers, anything other than 250 gr cast bullets just don’t seem right! Haha!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I shoot at least 50 rounds of 230 every couple weeks through my Ultra.
It's extremely manageable and the felt recoil honestly is less than my wifes ppks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I shoot at least 50 rounds of 230 every couple weeks through my Ultra.
It's extremely manageable and the felt recoil honestly is less than my wifes ppks.
Thanks guys! All of this just makes me want the short barrel even more! Fell in love with my customII at the first range session. Now he needs a little brother!

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
Can you tell a lot of difference in felt recoil? I’m not overly sensitive, but range days should be enjoyable, not punishing!
230gr are fine I use that and 185gr FMJ for range. I've been a Ultra fan boy since way before I bought my first one (CDP Ultra) and several Ultra's later I still love them. To me the only difference of felt recoil I get is when I test each pistol with two mags full of 185gr Speer Gold Bonded +P hollow points...those are HOT, HOT, HOT!
Old pic of Ultra's, at least one not pictured (Super Carry Ultra+).
Ultra's 2017.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
230gr are fine I use that and 185gr FMJ for range. I've been a Ultra fan boy since way before I bought my first one (CDP Ultra) and several Ultra's later I still love them. To me the only difference of felt recoil I get is when I test each pistol with two mags full of 185gr Speer Gold Bonded +P hollow points...those are HOT, HOT, HOT!
Old pic of Ultra's, at least one not pictured (Super Carry Ultra+). View attachment 125981
Nice stable of ponies 2sharp2!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts