Kimber Talk Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
I just have to be different. I practice with Speer 185gn truncated cone and carry Speer 185gn hollow points. I like them much more than the 230gn. For me, there is a perceived lighter recoil, with the 185gn. I just qualified, again, yesterday and the accuracy is still there. Try them. You may just find you like them

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just have to be different. I practice with Speer 185gn truncated cone and carry Speer 185gn hollow points. I like them much more than the 230gn. For me, there is a perceived lighter recoil, with the 185gn. I just qualified, again, yesterday and the accuracy is still there. Try them. You may just find you like them
  • Nothing wrong with blazing your own trail! Just might try em sometime!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
In my Ultra .45's, I long ago switched to 185gr for carry, as my accuracy is better and and the ability to do double-taps greatly improves with the lighter bullet generating less recoil energy. At the range, I still shoot alot of 230's, just because it's still a .45!

And for CC, a 185gr Gold Dot, CD, etc., arriving at over 1,100 fps is nothing to trifle with. Less chance of over penetration too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
In my Ultra .45's, I long ago switched to 185gr for carry, as my accuracy is better and and the ability to do double-taps greatly improves with the lighter bullet generating less recoil energy. At the range, I still shoot alot of 230's, just because it's still a .45!

And for CC, a 185gr Gold Dot, CD, etc., arriving at over 1,100 fps is nothing to trifle with. Less chance of over penetration too.
Lots of sound reasoning in that, my friend! Thanks!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Bill Wilson thinks Commander sized and smaller 1911's tend to run better with 185/200 grain loads. I've not seen anything to persuade me he is wrong. All my Pro Carry gets is 185s now, I started with 230s but the groups are definitely tighter with 185s (in my gun, dramatically so) and I also get better ejection so I stick with them.

If Kimber used extended ejectors like Colt does in the Commander and sub sized 1911s I'm not sure there would be an ejection difference, but they don't.

As Albert said, use what your gun likes. One size does not fit all.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Less penetration is a huge consideration for me.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Less penetration is a huge consideration for me.
It should be a consideration for all of us, Rick.

IF the dreaded day ever comes we have to engage a felon with deadly force, the very last thing we want is the bullet to pass through the fool that instigated the attack, then skip along until it hits an innocent bystander. THEN we've got some serious legal trouble to deal with besides the idiot who caused the entire affair.

If that weapon comes out of the holster, engage brain first prior to that trigger press......

21 - 30 of 30 Posts