Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
16,341 Posts
Lot of good choices. Many of us use Wright Leather. Pretty sure if I fell down or rolled over my pistol would still be in the holster, I would be dead but pistol would be intact.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
A holster for a 1911?
About as many choices as there are brands of cars. How much do you want to spend? You can get holsters the quality of what you'd find at Wally World, or do it right and get professional quality, the choice is entirely yours.

If you cruise the forum here with the search word "holster", you'll find a plethora of choices, IWB, OWB, shoulder, crossdraw, appendix, leather (my personal choice) and Kydex. It all depends on your wants, needs and budget.

Some brands in my holster cabinet:
Galco, Milt Sparks, El Paso Saddlery, Safariland, DeSantis, Adams and some one-off custom rigs I had made over the years. You can get about whatever type and style you want, but try to keep in mind, "quality costs".

One thing I'll recommend, is to avoid what professionals refer to as "Fruit of the Loom" holsters, nylon/fabric holsters intended for entry-level shooters on a strict budget. These things can literally get you killed in a real SD event.

An example of a "good IWB rig", Milt Sparks Versa-Matic II IWB rig holding my Kimber Super Carry Ultra + in God's caliber:

Choose well, buy smart, meaning get the very best you can afford right out of the gate and avoid cheap imitations of the "real deal".

· Registered
41 Posts
I just bought a Kimber 1911 and am seeking recommendatiins on the best retention type hollster fot it. Any ideas ?? Thank You
Like they said. FIRST - Get the best GUN BELT you can. Then to HOLSTERS - 1st get a nice box to put them in. Ask these guys as i'm not joking too much. You often end up with several different STYLES of Holster for the same Gun for different uses. Hunting/SD, Summer/Winter. So far we've only scratched the surface here. My best may not work for you at all! Be prepared for that too (LARGE BOX) It's entirely normal for some good ones to not work out for you. Be fair to you and Holster makers and get the belt now. Without it you could try the best holster for you and never realize it!

· Registered
3,130 Posts
Like they said. FIRST - Get the best GUN BELT you can. Then to HOLSTERS - Be fair to you and Holster makers and get the belt now. Without it you could try the best holster for you and never realize it!
Very good point!
Sort of the analogy of the foundation of a house, before the house is built.
Surprised no one mentioned it sooner (including myself).

My primary gun belts are from 5.11 Tactical and El Paso Saddlery, both 1 3/4" wide, and stiff!

· Registered
831 Posts
Belt first! NOT a dress belt. I like double layer belts. I have some, in different colors, that are 1 inch wide. They work perfectly. A gun and holster can get heavy, regardless of actual weight. Then the holster will curl, stretch and sag. A good belt will prevent any issues. Holsters are a very personal thing. I have a couple cheap ones, that happen to be very good. I have a couple not so cheap ones, I will never wear again. First, you have to decide how you are going to wear your gun. Then select a holster designed for that purpose. From that group, choose one you like.

· Administrator
42,016 Posts
I agree with pbsdaddy, a great belt will make a mediocre holster work and be more comfortable than a mediocre belt will a great holster. My last 2 gun belts are from Wright Leather Works, they are some of the best belts I've ever owner, 1 1/2" wide x 1/4" thick.

· Registered
107 Posts
I found a great holster company that sells holster for around $100 and the mag carrier was another $50 if Irememeber correct. Great quality. Desert Gun Leather in Phoenix AZ. below pic of my DW Guadian with Desert gun leather holster. they did the white stitching at no upcharge (Wright wanted $20) thats why I went looking for another holster co.

Wood Rectangle Everyday carry Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
552 Posts
Belt first! NOT a dress belt. I like double layer belts. I have some, in different colors, that are 1 inch wide. They work perfectly. A gun and holster can get heavy, regardless of actual weight. Then the holster will curl, stretch and sag. A good belt will prevent any issues. Holsters are a very personal thing. I have a couple cheap ones, that happen to be very good. I have a couple not so cheap ones, I will never wear again. First, you have to decide how you are going to wear your gun. Then select a holster designed for that purpose. From that group, choose one you like.
True words. I have some good heavy belts but the ones that work best FOR ME have the steel core. Some are too bulky and heavy, but some are not. Part of my belt problem is I like bigger pistols which tend to a little heavier.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
A personal note on gun belts, just an opinion, nothing more.

Early on in my gun carrying life, all my gun belts were 1.5" wide from well-known makers. That lasted about 15 years until I experienced the noticeable increase in what I'd call "body hugging" when using the same quality belt, leather or MIL-Spec webbing material that was 1.75" wide. Carrying OWB or IWB, you wouldn't think a paltry .25" of width would make much difference, but it certainly does, and noticeably too. From that day on, all my gun belts have been spec'd at the wider width, and thinking back on all this now, I'll never go back to the thinner belts. I rarely ever wear 'dress pants', with the skinny belt loops, most always cargo pants or shorts (5.11) and sometimes jeans; all have belt loops that accept 1.75" belts.

Skeptical? Try a 1.75" belt next time you're in the mood for gun belt shopping and you'll see what I mean. The difference in both comfort and security cannot be overstated. Remember, JMO, JME.

· Registered
552 Posts
I experienced the noticeable increase in what I'd call "body hugging" when using the same quality belt, leather or MIL-Spec webbing material that was 1.75" wide. Carrying OWB or IWB, you wouldn't think a paltry .25" of width would make much difference, but it certainly does, and noticeably too.

Skeptical? Try a 1.75" belt next time you're in the mood for gun belt shopping and you'll see what I mean. The difference in both comfort and security cannot be overstated. Remember, JMO, JME.
With you on that. I might go a bit further and say I like the ones with rollers where you fasten the belt (can’t think of name right now). I have a couple different thicknesses of leather, from thin leather to thick. Mostly stick to thinner to medium leather but sold on steel core for carry. It really takes care of the sag.

· Registered
1,613 Posts
I found a great holster company that sells holster for around $100 and the mag carrier was another $50 if Irememeber correct. Great quality. Desert Gun Leather in Phoenix AZ. below pic of my DW Guadian with Desert gun leather holster. they did the white stitching at no upcharge (Wright wanted $20) thats why I went looking for another holster co.

View attachment 134598
What is their lead time. I looked on their site they recommend 4 or 5:00 position. how comfortable @3:00.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts