Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How long have you been shooting 1911s?

I mowed lawns and worked various summer harvests to save and have my mom sign for my first when I was 15. It was a Colt Government Model Series 70. I was thrilled to say the least.

That was well let's see...36 years ago.

I have been "forced" due to administrator policy changes, to carry other sidearms over the years but always had one or more 1911 around. Went back to full time carry about 4 or so years again.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
I mowed lawns and worked various summer harvests to save and have my mom sign for my first when I was 15. It was a Colt Government Model Series 70. I was thrilled to say the least.

That was well let's see...36 years ago.

I have been "forced" due to administrator policy changes, to carry other sidearms over the years but always had one or more 1911 around. Went back to full time carry about 4 or so years again.
Answer #1...5 years ago.

Question #1..We are exactly the same age{51} and I never knew that parents could sign for us to get a firearm back n the day..
That just blows my mind on how times have changed..

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Answer #1...5 years ago.

Question #1..We are exactly the same age{51} and I never knew that parents could sign for us to get a firearm back n the day..
That just blows my mind on how times have changed..
I know. At my high school there would be shotguns in the window racks of the trucks in the student parking lot. We would skip pep rallies to make a long lunch to hunt dove and quail and clean the birds in the back of our ag shop class during lecture! The teacher would store the birds in the freezer of the teacher lounge till the end of the day.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
25 years here, before that a model 66 Smith & Wesson. I really regret selling that pistol....

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
I've been a revolver guy for many years. Discovered 1911's about five years ago. Began with an inexpensive one.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
We purchased our two Custom Crimson Carry II last October. That's when the infection set in. I've heard there is no cure. :)

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts
I got my first 1911 in the late 70's, a guy I worked with but didn't know too well wanted to borrow some money, he offered me a Colt 1911 as collateral and never repaid the loan.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
April 2014 for my personal first 1911. I've shot my husband's Sig C3 for about 2 1/2 years. He also has a Springfield EMP (his current EDC)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My oldest son, a public defender, told me he wanted a pistol for Christmas, 2012. He had done his homework and wanted a CZ75B, which was hard to find just weeks before Christmas. Long story short, I looked at a lot of gun sites and got the itch. Found his gun and shot it with him and got fully bit. So, I started doing my homework, going to gun stores, trying to figure out what the best pistol was that didn't cost $4,000. My conclusion was that I wanted a stainless Kimber 1911.

I got my 1911 for Christmas 2013....so I've been shooting my own gun for a grand total of only 5 months. As most of you know, I just bought my second 1911 recently and will be buying more soon. I know I want a revolver. As for other semi-autos, there are none that are calling me that aren't Kimber 1911s.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have fired 1911's for years. Other peoples. I bought my first one in1984. It was an AMT Long Slide. I used it in competitive shooting, bowling pins and steel plates. It replaced my Hi Power. I still have the Browning. The Long Slide went to greener pastures long ago.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Let's See Now Sonny.....

I got my first 1911, a WW2 issue Colt Government Model, in 1975. It was pure "as issued" GI, Mil-Spec. It was loose as hell and accurate is not a term that I ever thought of while shooting it. 1981, I upgraded drastically and purchased a Series 70 National Match Gold Cup. Now, that was an accurate pistol. However, I shot better scores with my 4" Smith and Wesson Model 15 .38 Special. Sooo, that was the end of the Gold Cup.

I didn't touch another 1911 until 2004 when I picked up a Kimber Custom Stainless II. It could shoot better than I could!! I could not ask for a more accurate, easy to shoot pistol. Now, I have added a Pro Carry II that I am presently still breaking in. This one, too, is going to be a shooter!!:cool::cool:

Reactions: PorscheVille

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Desert Warrior is a fine looking gun. Better get one quick before he changes his mind again.

Reactions: PorscheVille

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts
Desert Warrior is a fine looking gun. Better get one quick before he changes his mind again.
and what, sticks dad with the gun? Some how I don't think that would break Porscheville's heart.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I mowed lawns and worked various summer harvests to save and have my mom sign for my first when I was 15.
For me it was bussing tables and washing dishes, although, guns were the furthest thing from my mind. I was saving for a CAR and a GIRL in no particular order. Now, which one was cheap? I forget. :D

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I don't think I ever heard that out loud...LMAO...
In the Lou we call those guys "Johns"...:D
Haha. Well, at least the car wasn't cheap. I bought a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 that was 2 years old. It was $1,895 and my dad co-signed a loan for the $895. That was a lot of money then. Hot car. I loved it. Then I totaled it.

So how much would a 1911 have cost in 1972? (Note how I artfully returned the hijacked thread to 1911s and time.) :D

Reactions: Marshall
1 - 20 of 56 Posts