Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of owning and shooting handguns, I always seem to feel that I can improve on what left the factory. From simple cosmetic changes like grips or sights to full blown internal part polishing and action adjustments, I dive in and do my thing. Of course, I do a lot of research first so that I have a real good grasp of what I am doing before I begin. One on one training by a Smith and Wesson Armorer back in the mid 70's didn't hurt any. He took away the fear and mystery of firearm internals. He created a monster!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

How may of you out there are amateur gunsmiths/modificators? How deep do you dive in?? Cosmetic tinkerer or a full blown internal surgeon?:confused::confused:

Sound off here!!;);)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Cosmetic only. Really like changing grips. I'll try to post some pics soon...
Hubby is planning on changing the trigger on his AR. I'm not really very mechanically inclined, so I let the gunsmith do the tinkering for me. I save my surgery skills for animals. :)

I did have some trigger work done on my P238 - really improved it!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I have learned that I am not that much smarter than Kimber, Colt, Ruger, SA, ect. ect. so I pretty much leave them alone. being a mechanic by trade I have seen what inexperience can and will do. so I'm with Chickadee on this one grips and sights....

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I'll break them down for cleaning and inspection but try not to alter the function. I don't have the knowledge. Only 'internals' change I've done on my own is to replace the connector on my G23 from a 5.5# to a 4.5#, but to be honest I really can't tell the difference. Glad it was a cheap mod.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I like restoring and fixing up older guns, so I'll get right into the internals and take them apart. The first time I did it, I was a little (alright, a lot) scared. Once I realized it wasn't magic- just levers and springs, it got a lot easier.

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts
I used to be a real addict but I've slowed down to doing what's really needed not imagined. I've been working on the trigger on my Sig P238 and was making great progress until (not related to anything I was doing) the firing pin broke last time out.

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
I do just cosmetics. I'm happy with my guns straight from the factory.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Question for the Tinkerers

So here's a non-Kimber question for all you tinkerers out there: We have a Sig 1911 C3 that we would like to mount a rail to. It's our HD pistol & we would like to mount a light to it. Don't really want to buy another gun for HD just to get a rail - this gun is well broken in & very reliable.

Any suggestions on where to by a quality add-on rail? My husband is a machinist & is perfectly comfortable with drilling/tapping for the attachment.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Learning

I am a natural tinkerer... it's in my blood.

I used to work on R/C Cars, and Helicoptors, some models, and I have tried a fair bit of woodworking....

I replaced a few simple bits on my beretta (Main spring and the guide rod) and put the flat spring kit on my Eclipse.

I want to do more!!!

Definately nervous about it. I think I will try my hand at a little more... I have been looking at the front Fiber Optic site for my Custom II if i don't sell it.. and definately would change grips out.

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
So here's a non-Kimber question for all you tinkerers out there: We have a Sig 1911 C3 that we would like to mount a rail to. It's our HD pistol & we would like to mount a light to it. Don't really want to buy another gun for HD just to get a rail - this gun is well broken in & very reliable.

Any suggestions on where to by a quality add-on rail? My husband is a machinist & is perfectly comfortable with drilling/tapping for the attachment.
Don't want to hi jack this thread, but here's one to get you started. Search for 1911 rail and you will find more.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...%2Flike%2F151170612793%3Flpid%3D82&adtype=pla

·
Registered
199 Posts
First time ever, I installed that duty trigger kit and night sites on my shield 9mm. It was a great learning experience. I also like working on my jeep and have big plans for it the future. I am also into home theater setups and computer rig building.

·
Super Moderator
38,416 Posts

I have a C3 with a Crimson Trace grips I don't care for rails on handguns but Brownells.com makes a nice add on rail. While your on their site order a copy of their free 1911 catalog.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dive in and change everything i think could be improved... rework sear,change to a performance sear spring,change hammer springs (17lb),recoil spring and guide rod....prefer a 3 1/2 lb trigger pull

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Cosmetic only. I have much more stupidity than I have fear, so I make mistakes. The good news is... I learn from them and don't repeat them. I changed a MSH myself and got my sear outta whack. I took it to a gun smith and he made it perfect for about the cost of a fast food lunch. *ding* Mental note: no more YouTube gunsmithing!

·
Registered
48 Posts
sounds like your sear spring moved on ya...tie a strong rubber band across your grip safety and also capture the front of your trigger frame with it...it'll keep pressure on your sear spring so it doesn't move while u remove MSH to replace or just change spring to a lighter poundage...align the hammer bow as u slide it back together. Keep hammer closed to keep back pressure low... when putting MSH pin back it I hold pistol down with left hand while balance pin over hole then push bottom of housing in with right thumb to align then bump the pin in a little with my teeth...it'll hit the springs bottom plunger thingy and stop while holding all in place then drive it home with the tap of hammer. You'll be able to replace springs or housings in just a couple minutes and not disturb the rest of your gun...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
when putting MSH pin back it I hold pistol down with left hand while balance pin over hole then push bottom of housing in with right thumb to align then bump the pin in a little with my teeth....
That's about the time that main spring would shoot up my nose, giving me a self-lobotomy!

Yeah, my sear moved just a tad. But my mag well needed some metal taken off too. I got it in but the mags didn't slide out as easy as they were supposed too. The gunsmith said "that's not a drop-in thing, it needs to be fitted!" Bottom line, I'm just so good at so many things I don't need to add gunsmithery to my repertoire. :D

Reactions: Lineman

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
This, in fact, is the MSH/mag well I installed. She is a one-piece machined hunk of steel beauty. :p I know. I'm sick.

Attachments

Reactions: Lineman

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Your MSH/magwell is totally Rad....nice grips too
I suffer from gripzophrenia. I change grips like I change my underwear. Monthly. These grips are red morrel burl. I took them off in favor of black ebony grips, but I may put them back on if the mood strikes me.

Attachments

Reactions: Chickadee
1 - 20 of 36 Posts