Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m ready to pull the trigger (no pun) on the stainless 6” long slide. Its primary use will be deer hunting and paper punching, so I thought the LS would be the way to go: longer sight radius, a tad more energy and a little more weight out front. BUT…I’m going with a micro red dot so the longer slide really doesn’t come into play. More fps & ft lbs…a little, but will it be really enough to justify the LS?
So now I’m doing a circle, you know what, whether the 6” will bring enough to the party in accuracy and hunting usability. Add to that the realization that I’m no spring chicken and a touch of arthritis that’s rearing it butt-ugly face is probably here to stay and will most likely want to hang around as the years progress. The 5” would make it more flexible when I decide I need to return to rifle hunting and then return the pistol to the .45 (and carry it).
Have you got a 6” LS? Are you getting minute-of-deer with the 5”?
Convince me either way. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
Wow, I just ordered last night the 460 Rowland Kit. It will go on my 5" Custom Two-Tone. You know you can still fire .45acp in the pistol with the 460 compensator installed on your pistol?
If you start with a 6" barrel, then add compensator, it will end up being pretty long. I'm not going to "hunt" with mine so I don't know much about that.

·
Administrator
40,105 Posts
The 6" conversion kit is new, it wasn't offered when I got my kit. If you already have a 6" 1911 then I'd say go for it but remember the compensator is going to add about 1 1/2" to the length of the gun. If you don't, but own a 5" 1911 then get the 5" kit and save the added expense of another gun. That extra 1" isn't going to make much difference in accuracy, especially in the field hunting.

As for accuracy the gun has it, it's as accurate as any of my 1911's and probably more accurate then I'm capable of shooting.

Contrary to popular belief the gun is a pussycat to shoot, the compensator that comes with it really works well. I'm 75 and I also have arthritis in my hands but I have no trouble shooting the gun, it's easier shooting then either my .41 or .44 mag. Rugers.

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
The 6" conversion kit is new, it wasn't offered when I got my kit. If you already have a 6" 1911 then I'd say go for it but remember the compensator is going to add about 1 1/2" to the length of the gun. If you don't, but own a 5" 1911 then get the 5" kit and save the added expense of another gun. That extra 1" isn't going to make much difference in accuracy, especially in the field hunting.

As for accuracy the gun has it, it's as accurate as any of my 1911's and probably more accurate then I'm capable of shooting.

Contrary to popular belief the gun is a pussycat to shoot, the compensator that comes with it really works well. I'm 75 and I also have arthritis in my hands but I have no trouble shooting the gun, it's easier shooting then either my .41 or .44 mag. Rugers.
That's because your "Bad to the Bone Brother" Da da da da dum!!

Reactions: Chuck43

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Good input Chuck43. I've talked to a few people and they echo what you said: very little accuracy difference between the 5" & 6". Surprisingly, you only gain about 50 fps with the 6". I thought it could have been more, but not according to: BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .460 Rowland Results

1 - 5 of 5 Posts