Kimber Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in October, my wife, who procrastinates almost as much as I do, ordered some "confections" for our grand daughter's birthday and she is out of state. When my wife orders something, she uses my main email address (I have 2 addresses). One of those is only for my friends who can stand my emails which are usually in bad taste (some I get from the Kimber site.) My private email is the one she orders shit stuff from. This particular confectioner started spamming me with their "real deals" and celebratory spams. They wish me a merry freaking Christmas and all the happy New Year stuff with why don't you celebrate with a nice confection to make it better. I was getting 2 spam emails from them every day, morning and night. I have hit unsubscribe but of course it didn't work.

About 6 weeks ago, I asked them politely to take me off their email list. (Hitting the unsubscribe button automatically confirms the email address for professional scammers which most resell.) They told me it would take 10 days and to be patient. Patient my ass. I still kept getting 2 emails per day in this new year. I had enough.

I went through my spam list. I had around 50 spam emails from them I hadn't yet deleted. I moved them into my inbox and replied to each message with their advertisement. I told them "I have asked you repeatedly to remove my address from your contact list. You have not. Therefore, I am returning all the emails I get from you." It was really just a simple copy and past for the returned email for about 50 email replies.

Within 24 hours, I have not received one new email from them. Should they start sending again, I will be glad to hold them in my spam box until I get another 50 or so.

This doesn't work for spam with addresses such as "[email protected]'shotshit.com" but it works for persistent retailers who actually have to delete them from their website.

Anyway, that brightened up a rough day for me.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Hm. I haven't had this problem in many years. That said, I wish I'd thought of it many years ago when I did.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Don't click on unsubscribe links from spammers. By clicking on the link the least worst things that result is that it tells the spammer your e-mail is active, you were interested enough to open their message, and then sell that information to even more spammers. Among the worst things that can happen is the spammer can learn what type of device you are using, what information is on it and download malware.

Mark the message as junk in your mail program and forget about it. The program will filter out future messages from the sender and send it directly to the junk folder so it doesn't show in the in-box.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Oh how I miss the days of human telemarketers.
I used to answer as "Juan Braithwaite's Chinese Pizza", push daily specials like General Tso's Carne Asada Pizza, and repeatedly demand their credit card numbers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I answer my phones with "HOLA!" And get a satisfying hangup.

Very rarely someone answers in Spanish and I laugh.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If I receive a call & the # is one I don’t recognize I don’t answer. If it’s the real deal they can leave a message. Afterwards I just block the # for any future calls
Yep..do the same..or if I'm feeling frisky, I'll call them back in an hour or so and tell them I missed their call..then when they stammer and go into their spiel I tell them to not bother me with such bullshit. If I want their products I'll call them.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I do the same, if I don't know the number, I don't answer and if they leave a voicemail I'll check it out. No voicemail I just block the number and move on. E-mails just mark as spam and forget it, life's to short to worry with that stuff.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oh how I miss the days of human telemarketers.
I used to answer as "Juan Braithwaite's Chinese Pizza", push daily specials like General Tso's Carne Asada Pizza, and repeatedly demand their credit card numbers.
I used to say "can you hold a moment, please?" then put the phone on hold and go about my business. I figured that however long they waited for me to come back, which I never did, was time they weren't calling someone else.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do the same, if I don't know the number, I don't answer and if they leave a voicemail I'll check it out. No voicemail I just block the number and move on. E-mails just mark as spam and forget it, life's to short to worry with that stuff.
That's just not any fun.
Ya gotta have a little fun in life.
As Rush Limbaugh said, "take it to the extreme."
They got 50 spams at one time and it only took about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have my phone set up to where if I don't know the number it won't even ring. My message says if it's something important leave a message or otherwise the number will be blocked.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I’ve been getting a sh!t load of calls in Spanish. The only thing I can make out is Obamacare”. Impress “1” which generally gets you to a poised scammer. I when they pick up, I start speaking Cajun French which immediately results in a hang up on their end

Reactions: bad ninja

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is a new cell phone app but I don't remember what it is.
Supposedly it tells you where the call originated and give you a list of lawyers.
Supposedly, the claims can reach $3000 for each call.
It sounded ok but I remember the fax machine calls years ago.
People got $500 if they sued.
There were people who made a living hooking up fax machines and suing.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
There is a new cell phone app but I don't remember what it is.
Supposedly it tells you where the call originated and give you a list of lawyers.
Supposedly, the claims can reach $3000 for each call.
It sounded ok but I remember the fax machine calls years ago.
People got $500 if they sued.
There were people who made a living hooking up fax machines and suing.
Got to find that app...can always use a little extra cash! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Sounds like a better side hustle than Uber. All I know is, in the last couple months I've blocked somewhere around 100 "local" numbers that all left the same voice message, claiming to be from AT&T.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts